Raining, How Do You Survive?

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I realize we are only in the very beginning of the Hurricane season, but WOW it is killing me! It's only my first year living here during this season. What do you all do? This is tough! We are living in a campo outside of Barahona, and my kids spend the entire days outside. With the rain, that doesn't seem to stop them, which I don't blame them it's tough being cooped up and seeing people playing. SO... we packed up and are visiting family in Santo Domingo. It's a lot better here, but still streets flood and you can't go anywhere. How do you all deal, especially if you have kids. Even without kids, it's driving me nuts.. I want my clothes to dry :)

Jen

Reina

Feb 2, 2007
Welcome to your first rainy season...lol..after 10 years of living here I have gotten used to it. I understand your desire for sunshine, helps with keeping things dry...however it doesn't last long...so hang in there, perhaps some board games, movies, and visiting friends will help get the rainy blues out of your day! Good luck and enjoy! P.S. Just remember, without all this nice cool rain, we wouldn't have all of the beautiful greenery.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
It seems that you believe this will continue for the entire hurricane season. Not so, you can relax, this is an unusually prolonged depression hanging over us. It is not normal for this time of year to have this many days of heavy rain in a row.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And it is badly needed. The Santo Domingo Water Co. was down to 20% of demand and trying to ration water is a city with more leaky faucets than you can possible count. Santiago's main water source was also getting low as were most of the reservoirs. THousands of cattle were dying in the Northwest provinces from heat, thirst and lack of food.

So the rains are here and thousands will be displaced--see tomorrow's headlines--and hundreds will be flooded out.. Just part of life in the tropics.

What to do? Go to the Jardines Botanicos!! Or the Zoo, or the Aquarium or walk the streets of Old Santo Domingo under umbrellas!! Watch baseball on the TV. Oh yes, maybe read something? Go down to the Lincoln Library and get a book>>>???

HB

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
One of the drawbacks to living in the campo, no dryers. Relax this is just a wet period. The sun will be back. In the meantime just look for your cleanest dirty clothes.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
HB - you bring up a pet peeve of mine, the lack of reading here. I wish more children here read books, they learn early and get a lifelong love of reading.

Back to the subject of the thread.

This is the time of year when many people where clothes smelling slightly off - a bit mouldy smelling. No ones fault just cannot get things completely dry.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
My dog is quickly learning to run to the apartment parking lot to do his business while I wait under the covers!

Break out the fans and indoor clothes rack for all those dirty clothes.

Watch the kids, record their outdoor antics for Facebook and Youtube :) Tell your family back home your about to be swept away and enjoy the reactions!

Lots to do! I'll be celebrating by cabbing into the office tomorrow and laughing with everyone about how wet we are, and how the A/C is WAY too cold.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
thanks for the rain, now i know how stupid my downstairs neighbors really are. i have an apartment above them but because i flushed a toilet, the water in their apt came from my place. wait till they see the bill from the engineer who works for the largest constuction co. in the DR, dominican owned and operated, i can't wait to see the face on these jerks when they try to dodge the bullet. "hey stupid". "it;s been raining lke crazy and you have water on the floor, do you think i am a rich gringo and will bow down to you and give you money?", because "it must be your apt"...........collective idiocy and of you don't fight it it'll cost you, everybody out to make a buck,,,,,,govt, airlines, neighbors, i'm taking my business to Puerto Rico or Cuba.........

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
My experience is that living in a apartment building in the DR is always a problem. In the 90s I lived on top of a general in SD.
Once we got a electricity bill of 42.000 Pesos! That was real money at that time. They told me that I was paying for his 4 ac's and freezers the whole time.
I was suggested to move a.s.a.p to avoid problems with him.
Then we moved to a sixth floor in Para?so. The elevator never functioned....every day taking the stairs at a 34 degree temperature!

Now I live in a campo, close to the beach...100 times better. For me it makes no sense to live in SD unless it's really necessary, what's the difference between living in SD and living in any big city in the U.S or Europe.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Start making Sancochos left and right and eat them with a bottle of Brugal next to it. Also as DV8 said start having lots of sex, the feeling is different with the chilly atmosphere around "El dia esta Pacheco....Pachecochita ;)" Head to the nearest cabana and enjoy there with your loved one.