Helping Paws

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
As mentioned before in another post, there is no place on the North Coast where people can go to find a lost pet. Pretty much the same for pets found.

Ok, you can post them here, or you can print out a number of leaflets and have them posted at the local supermarkets, but still...

So, I decided to create a website in order to, in a way, fill a void. Anybody looking for a lost pet, or people having found pets, or even people wanting to relocate pets can post them there for free.

Although mentioned on the site, I want to stress we do not want any money for this service, nor will we accept any. We are emailing some of our contacts in the big dogfoodproducers here in the DR, and are getting some positive responses. We just asked them if they would be willing to print us some posters and leaflets to make this website known.

The website address is the following:

www.wix.com/belgiank/helpingpaws2

Yes, it is a very simple site, with a complicated address. As soon as we are sure there is a response to it, we will simplify matters.

Please let me have your comments.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
This is a wonderful idea and it is great to have another venue to search if by some misfortune you lose a family pet such as a dog or cat.

Very nice of you to donate your time and skill to set up and maintain such a site. An example of volunteer work at its finest - someone sees a need and has a skill set and/or means to help and does so without expecting a reward - well done.

You did ask for comments so I took that to mean constructive suggestions for change - if you did not want these kind of comments please disregard the following and focus only on the above comment. It is not my intent to insult or hurt your feelings in any way.

I love the slide show of photos on the opening page but assume that when you start getting photos of lost pets the photos of the lost will become the slide show on the home page and your photos of your wonderful dogs will become a slideshow on the contact us page or above the about us information. If you leave the page as it is and a user has to click to get to the lost pets photos then it looks like emphasis is on you and your dogs/background instead of the lost dogs. The first thing that is seen on the home page of a website is usually considered the primary focus of the site in my opinion so the first photos seen should be those of lost pets.

Congratulations again on taking an active and positive role in your community.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I love the slide show of photos on the opening page but assume that when you start getting photos of lost pets the photos of the lost will become the slide show on the home page and your photos of your wonderful dogs will become a slideshow on the contact us page or above the about us information. If you leave the page as it is and a user has to click to get to the lost pets photos then it looks like emphasis is on you and your dogs/background instead of the lost dogs. The first thing that is seen on the home page of a website is usually considered the primary focus of the site in my opinion so the first photos seen should be those of lost pets.

Yes, that is exactly the idea... I will switch the pics so that the latest additions, or the special cases, are shown on the slide show...

The only reason some of our own dogs are on the slideshow now was as an introduction to our background...

We will also add a news section...

Thank you for the support

H20SKI

Jun 2, 2011
Great work!!

This is a wonderful example of how someone can take resources they have at hand and use them to support a cause...versus bemoaning what "isn't" available. Thank you, Belgiank, for putting the time and effort - now and ongoing - into helping lost and found animals here!!

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Need to update the website but want to show you already what happened to the tiny just 4 weeks old pup we picked up from the streets a few months ago.

Just arrived at our house, covered in flees, underfed and not sure if she would make it in the first week

viralata.jpg

Now almost six months old, very clever girl, streetwise (figures as she is a true viralata), playful little dog and the only one who managed to win the heart of Acira to play with her. No other dog has ever got this done but this little one is very persistent with a natural talent in giving out all the right signals that she really wants to play.

DSCF6169.jpg

DSCF6170.jpg

Acira

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I have been thinking the same thing recently and am so glad you have made steps to make this happen.
As far as site construction/marketing goes I would like to make a point I noted as a negative if I may, the music is out of place, when people are considering homing a dog. I know it's a bit of fun, but from a marketing side it is an annoyance and uncalming, and so effects the wrong natural senses, which are to instantly turn it off, in effect push it away rather than draw you in. Just a point you might consider, or dismiss, whatever.
Thrilled someone has eventually done this and I am sure it will be popular, well I will use it if I'm allowed:nervous:

Well done!!