Dominican Passport for newborn

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Three months ago our third child was born here in DR. Our other two children were born in Holland (and have dutch nationality). My wife is dominican (but nationalized dutch citizen) and I am dutch. Obviously our son also has dutch nationality and we solicited his dutch passport but due to the long time it can take to actually receive the passport (average 8 weeks) it might come too late for a planned trip to Holland we want to make soon with our children. What we might need to do is request a dominican passport for our son and get him a visa to go to Holland. I am going to get his passport this week, but I find in the requierments that you need to present the cedula of the passport holder (adults and minors). Does anyone know if it's necessary to get a cedula for him to be able to get a passport? I actually thought you can only have a cedula when you are 16 years or older.

If necessary, does anyone know how long it takes for a dominican (which he also is) to get a cedula?

gr.
Mauricio

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Honestly I'm not completely sure. I remember your nick, but nothing else....:speechles...fresh my mind please..maar bedankt voor de felicitaties....!

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Three months ago our third child was born here in DR. Our other two children were born in Holland (and have dutch nationality). My wife is dominican (but nationalized dutch citizen) and I am dutch. Obviously our son also has dutch nationality and we solicited his dutch passport but due to the long time it can take to actually receive the passport (average 8 weeks) it might come too late for a planned trip to Holland we want to make soon with our children. What we might need to do is request a dominican passport for our son and get him a visa to go to Holland. I am going to get his passport this week, but I find in the requierments that you need to present the cedula of the passport holder (adults and minors). Does anyone know if it's necessary to get a cedula for him to be able to get a passport? I actually thought you can only have a cedula when you are 16 years or older.

If necessary, does anyone know how long it takes for a dominican (which he also is) to get a cedula?

gr.
Mauricio

Here is the link with all the information to applying for a Dominican passport. Pasaporte por primera vez | Direcci?n General de Pasaportes They request the "Cedula" of the parents.

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
The passport you should be able to get the same day when you do VIP. But it seems like the visa process is what is going to take sometime. Although I am not sure how much quicker it will be seeing as both the parents are already Dutch citizens. Best of luck!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Here is the link with all the information to applying for a Dominican passport. Pasaporte por primera vez | Direcci?n General de Pasaportes They request the "Cedula" of the parents.
Yes, those are the requirements I found, but I read it like: Cedula (adultos y menores) and cedula padres (menores), in other words, minors need their own cedula and their parents cedula. However, maybe adultos y menos means, menores above 16. Actually I think it's like you said...and I hope so...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The passport you should be able to get the same day when you do VIP. But it seems like the visa process is what is going to take sometime. Although I am not sure how much quicker it will be seeing as both the parents are already Dutch citizens. Best of luck!
Yes, I will need to do the VIP, cause due to dutch holidays the embassy is not going to be open every day, and we are travelling early july (well...hope to). The embassy is aware of our case and normally a visum takes one or two days if you have all documents ready. Thanks!

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
Yes, I will need to do the VIP, cause due to dutch holidays the embassy is not going to be open every day, and we are travelling early july (well...hope to). The embassy is aware of our case and normally a visum takes one or two days if you have all documents ready. Thanks!

Then you should be good to go I don't believe you will need a cedula for the baby just birth certificate and both parents cedulas. As long as you get there early in the morning you should get the passport by 3pm the same day.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Yes, those are the requirements I found, but I read it like: Cedula (adultos y menores) and cedula padres (menores), in other words, minors need their own cedula and their parents cedula. However, maybe adultos y menos means, menores above 16. Actually I think it's like you said...and I hope so...

I don't know how good is your Spanish, but, is only asking for the parents "Cedula" if the passport is for a minor

? C?dula de Identidad y Electoral original del padre que deposita y una (1) copia. (Menores).

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I don't know how good is your Spanish, but, is only asking for the parents "Cedula" if the passport is for a minor

? C?dula de Identidad y Electoral original del padre que deposita y una (1) copia. (Menores).

I suppose you are right, I am aware that I'm fearing for an issue that's probably not there. Tomorrow I'm going to get a new birth certificate and have it legalized in JCE (I'm happy government are so much more efficient than in 2003/4) and than on Thursday get the passport.

Thanks!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Went today to get my sons passport. You were all right. Just his mother's cedula, and legalized birth certificate and we were good to go, have to pick it up in a while. Very smooth process by the way, arrived at 10, ready at 11 (well with special attention for being a baby).

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
Went today to get my sons passport. You were all right. Just his mother's cedula, and legalized birth certificate and we were good to go, have to pick it up in a while. Very smooth process by the way, arrived at 10, ready at 11 (well with special attention for being a baby).

Congrats!!! Hope you all have a safe and fun trip.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Congrats!!! Hope you all have a safe and fun trip.
thanks! but this is just the dominican passport. Still waiting for the dutch one and if it doesn't come before end of this week, I ll apply for a visa next week.