ATMS at SDQ

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Can the ATMs at Las Americas be trusted? How about change rates and RD $10,000 limit per and fees? Thanks

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Can the ATMs at Las Americas be trusted? How about change rates and RD $10,000 limit per and fees? Thanks

Half the time they don't work. Exchange happens at the daily interbank rate (favorable) but the customary ATM fees apply.

My "money belt" is my friend. Most hotels offer decent exchange rates for their guests. Many ATM's are limited to 5000RD.

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
I've gotten around the RD$10,000 limit by simply taking the money out in consecutive intervals of RD$5,000. It sounds funny but I've tried it on many occassions and it always works.

I also have my account with Bank of America and take money out through Scotiabank so I don't get charged fees.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The Banco Popular ATM on the first floor always works for me and yes a 10,000 per transaction limit. The fees are coming from your bank not from the ATM.
Rates: Wally Exchange Cabarete

This is not always the case. Depending on what financial institution is at home you may be charged a service fee (around $3) at the ATM end. I also use BoA and Scotiabank but many times there is only one of the ATM's on the arrivals level of SDQ working and sometimes there are none. I have had to pull over at the gas station to use the cajero inside on occassion just to pay the taxi when I first started travelling there. Now I hang on to my pesos for the next trip.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I've gotten around the RD$10,000 limit by simply taking the money out in consecutive intervals of RD$5,000. It sounds funny but I've tried it on many occassions and it always works.

I also have my account with Bank of America and take money out through Scotiabank so I don't get charged fees.

Greydread is right, you get charged a service fee for each withdrawl. Just take out 9 or 10, consecutively. As I said use the BancoPopular ATM on the lower level, it works. And Hotels give the worst rates of exchange.

gotkidswilltravel

Feb 15, 2011
I'm in the US with a major bank here, but it's stinks for international ATM use. Costs $5 fee plus 3% of your withdrawal amount, plus whatever the foreign ATM charges. Seems very expensive to me. Is that typical? Any alternatives?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I'm in the US with a major bank here, but it's stinks for international ATM use. Costs $5 fee plus 3% of your withdrawal amount, plus whatever the foreign ATM charges. Seems very expensive to me. Is that typical? Any alternatives?

The alternative is to bring cash.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
If you travel often you can open up a dollar account at banco popular and then wire transfer in or out according to your needs. Of course there is a fee for the service $50-$55- USD

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
You are kidding, aren't you????

Nope. Not kidding. Where I like to stay I always get a much better exchange than at official currency exchanges at the airports. Those are the worst. The hotel is an RCI affiliated resort and their reputation is critical to their continued success. For small exchanges (<$100) I actually do better than with ATMs as there is no fee. It's not even worth getting 2000RD out of an out of network ATM if there are $8 in fees attached (300RD).

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Nope. Not kidding. Where I like to stay I always get a much better exchange than at official currency exchanges at the airports. Those are the worst. The hotel is an RCI affiliated resort and their reputation is critical to their continued success. For small exchanges (<$100) I actually do better than with ATMs as there is no fee. It's not even worth getting 2000RD out of an out of network ATM if there are $8 in fees attached (300RD).
I don't believe it. I have never seen a hotel cambio give a decent rate, RCI affiliated or not. Best rate is either by shopping cambios frequented by the locals in town or at one of the commercial banks in town. What is your resort combio offering today? Now you stuck in you were comparing to the airport. You originally said you get a good rate at the hotel, I guess it is good if you only compare it to the airport.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com

Obviously, this works great for you.

I normally use ATM (Euro bank), get the interbank rate (slightly better than Caribe Express rate) and pay $1 in costs. It seems there are more ways to skin a cat :)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I don't believe it. I have never seen a hotel cambio give a decent rate, RCI affiliated or not. Best rate is either by shopping cambios frequented by the locals in town or at one of the commercial banks in town. What is your resort combio offering today? Now you stuck in you were comparing to the airport. You originally said you get a good rate at the hotel, I guess it is good if you only compare it to the airport.

They usually round to the nearest (low) whole number. I don't doubt that they'd give me 37 even at today's rate. Of course it's not better than shopping the cambios in town or going to a commercial bank but in the OP the question went to immediate availability of DOP's. Between SDQ and the hotel there are only a few choices and if I'm looking for over $200US worth of change the ATM is a good option (network ATM 1st, others 2nd). The cajeros along the way are available but usually are limited to 5000RD and carry transaction fees. If I'm only changing enough cash to pay for the taxi until I can get to a preferred bank or ATM the hotel front desk is a VIABLE OPTION for small amounts, factoring in transaction fees at the ATM. It's not a bank. It's an option and as I posted before I don't want to spend 300RD in fees to cover a 1,200RD fare.

I "stuck in" airport exchange booths because they complete the list of available alternatives. Sheesh....

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The alternative is to bring cash.

There's no way as how I could stress this, DR is another beast altogheter, forget about the card swipe it swipe it frenzy we have here in USA. Bring the majority of your budget to the DR in Cash Period.