Teachers from abroad

kestephens

Mar 23, 2008
Is it normal for schools to review your resume, have something similar to a phone interview and then offer you a position? :paranoid: I havent submitted a criminal background check or anything like that. I may just be used to the long process you have to go through here in the US to apply for a job. Any help would be appreciated. :cheeky:

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
This would not be unusual! You do want a signed letter with the School seal affixed to it with an actual offer! It can be scanned and emailed to you. Do not just accept a verbal offer or a standard email.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Whether or not this is unusual depends on the school and how they have "found" you as a potential hire. It is not that unusual for overseas teaching positions although quite often teachers go to job fairs in February to get jobs for the following year.

Things to look for in a good overseas teaching position (in general not just in DR):
1. housing provided
2. utilities paid or allowance towards utilities
3. school pays for roundtrip ticket home each year
4. one tuition for dependent child per teaching contract
5. school provides you with work documents (cedula in this case)
6. some or all of salary paid in dollars or pegged to the exchange (we lost thousands off our salary one year due to currency devaluation - and only 60% of our salary was pesos thank goodness)\
7. health insurance paid for by school
8. CODA
9. no interest car loans or car provided
10. you always want to make sure you are on "foreign hire" as opposed to "local hire" status for your contract
11. shipping allowance moving there and for when you leave

good luck and enjoy your time in DR if that is what you want to do

kestephens

Mar 23, 2008
This would not be unusual! You do want a signed letter with the School seal affixed to it with an actual offer! It can be scanned and emailed to you. Do not just accept a verbal offer or a standard email.

Thank you so much DMV123!! I guess I have to stop comparing what happens here in the US, as far as employment goes, to what happens in the DR.

kestephens

Mar 23, 2008
expatsooner, this list is going to be very beneficial. I didn't even think to as about how I was listed on the contract. The school that offered me the position only gives free tuition for my child but I think I will inquire about some of the things you mentioned. .

thanks again!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What they offered is not enough! You can do better at other schools if you have teacher certifications and experience. 19K will not cut it in POP, that is a fact. Unless they provide housing and some furniture!! Pay attention to expatsooner, she knows what is what.

HB

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
thanks Hillbilly I appreciate the words of confidence :classic:

kestephens not every job will have all of these items and this is not an exhaustive list of benefits but it is a pretty basic list of good benefits that might be included in a contract. I would not consider any contract that did not offer numbers 1, 3, 4, 5 and 7 on the list for example.

for example my current contract (not in the DR by the way) has 8 out of the 11 but also includes some things not listed such as transportation by bus to and from school each day for the teachers and a bonus for each master's degree held by the teacher

There are a lot of jobs all around the world - many amazing experiences await the international educator - go for it when you get a good job. You wouldn't take a job that didn't give you a living wage at home so don't take that kind of job overseas (unless of course you are young, single and no children - then even a crappy job is ok if it gets you to a part of the world you really want to experience ;) )

good luck