Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Relocation

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Possible Relocation

I know anything is possible but is it realistic to say that my son and I could live(thrive, survive) in the DR on a salary of 19,000RD per month? Specifically in the area of POP....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

no...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The only way to do this would be to live like a poorer Dominican family - public transportation, public schools, eating the bandera daily, no A/C, small apartment - likely only one bedroom in a Dominican barrio, NO medical insurance unless it is included in your work, typical cable tv, hair salon monthly instead of weekly etc etc. It will be very hard for you to adjust to this lifestyle.

IMHO it is NOT enough money - BTW do you speak fluent or near fluent Spanish? You will need it to survive in the barrio.

4. Likes kestephens liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, what 19,000 $RD can buy today is not what it will buy in 6 months or a year from now.

6. Likes kestephens liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

really NO

8. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kestephens View Post
    I know anything is possible but is it realistic to say that my son and I could live(thrive, survive) in the DR on a salary of 19,000RD per month? Specifically in the area of POP....
    Even when you do not have to include rent, thats a very thight budget.

10. Likes kestephens liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You might survive on 2X that.

12. Likes kestephens liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are Dominican and have family in the POP area it would be possible and your son could even go to an inexpensive colegio. For a foreigner I would say it could be done but probably wouldn't be enjoyable what with Western expectations and all that.

14. Likes kestephens liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't see how anyone can voluntarily decide to run a household & raise a kid on US$500/month if any other alternative exists.
    If no other exists, then you only accept it until one does... and even then who would move to a foreign country to do so?

What would your motivation be to do this?

16. Likes Criss Colon, Africaida liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

salary? that suggests other details as opposed to a pension, or bank interest. sounds like a resort wants to hire you at 19k and provide housing and food. the housing isn't much worse or better than a college dorm, but that is not the place to raise a child. a child wants bricks and mortar, a home that he/she knows is permanent, even if rented. a mom that puts him on the bus or walks him to school and someone to greet him or pick him up from school. a child wants permanence, no more moving around, no more uncles. it is better for a child to have no "uncles" than a new one every month. a child can grow up in a circus, that is more family than you will find in a resort. circus people are the same year after year, uunless you change from ringling blue to the red show, but that comes with tutors and a permanent stateroom on the train. say no to the resort...........sorry it is not the best place for a child. however, if you are dominican, it might be better than life in the city................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast