Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Artificial skin needed for skin graft

Back in January this year, my sister-in-law was tragically caught in an explosion in a Metro Gas station in Santiago.

She has been in the Homs hospital since then recovering from third degree burns. She has had multiple skin grafts, which unfortunately haven't all been successful. She is running out of places where they can harvest healthy skin to graft.

Aside from the pain and distress she and our family are going through, the surgeon is now suggesting the use of a new artificial skin. However he, nor any of his colleagues know how to obtain it and the insurance company are reluctant to assist due to the cost of it.

Does anyone have any experiences how one might obtain this skin and how we can instruct the insurance company to purchase it?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you call one of the burn centers in the US and ask. I'm sure they can direct you. Try St. Barnabas Burn Center in NJ. 973-322-5920 The Burn Center at Saint Barnabas - Saint Barnabas Health Care System - New Jersey

3. Likes beeza liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about the insurance companies but here's a link:Integra LifeSciences | Medical Device Company - Medical Technologies
    Good luck

5. Likes beeza liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive never dealt with this personally, but I do know that its quite common to use american tissue banks when this sort of thing is needed. I think Belmonts suggestion is good.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the Integra skin grafts are very good but they still need to apply life skin grafts above the Integra grafts to enduce the growth of the epidermus but still...worth to try to contact them because its a proven graft that isnt rejected by the bodies own tissue and gives the burn wound the chance to heal at least from the inside and pretty rapidely also.

Hope all goes well with your sister-in-law.

8. Likes beeza liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Try this too......

U.S. Department of Health and Human ServicesNational Institutes of HealthUSA.gov
    National Institute of General Medical Sciences • 45 Center Drive MSC 6200 • Bethesda, MD 20892-6200

Tel: 301-496-7301 • E-mail: [email protected]

10. Likes beeza liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I will ask one of the plastic surgeons here. I am curious to why her own skin grafts have not taken? They usually heal very well. I've only done a few though.

SHALENA

P.S. UNC IN CHAPEL HILL has a very well reknowned and respected Burn center, try to call them....
    NC Jaycee Burn Center
    101 Manning Drive CB #7600 Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7600.
    Phone: 919-966-3693 FAX: 919-966-5732 Español: 919-966-3464

Welcome to North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center — North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center - UNC School of Medicine

12. Likes beeza liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link for American Burn Association. They also have an international outreach progam, although it does not say that they are doing anything in the DR at this time, they should at least be able to give some information. I wish you and your family the best!

American Burn Association

311 S. Wacker Drive, Suite 4150
    Chicago, IL 60606
    TEL: (312) 642-9260

14. Likes beeza, PJT liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all those really helpful replies. I will follow up on them.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It is tragic about you sister-in-law and PJT sends his best wishes and prayers for her.

PJT finds it appalling HOMS is not being pro-active in a search for the artificial skin and it is a abuse by the insurance company not to assist. However, it is not above suspicion if the skin was obtained the medical staff at HOMS is not medically trained to work with the product. Hence, the hesitancy to obtain it because they don't know how.

The University of Miami, Jackson Memorial Hospital may be a source of information as they have a burn center. Their number is 305-585-1111.

Regards,

PJT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast