Thread: Italian Bread

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Italian Bread

Where can I find good Italian bread in the Sosua area, or should I keep dreaming?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I sure hope you find some I'll be there in sept. for a week crispy on the outside soft and warm inside good luck.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

ciabata's in city market are not bad at all.

4. Likes duttyfree liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

You can try calling Nello,s in santo domingo. they are great italian butchers and may be able to help you. Sometimes i go to Carrefour and get their baguettes which are the closest i have found to a decent italian hero bread.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a very good German bakery a block or two away from Hotel D'Piero (not far from Supermercado Zoilo) which (I know you want Italiano) has some really good breads and cakes. I'd try that one to see if it fits the bill.

7. Likes duttyfree liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AJL6767 View Post
    You can try calling Nello,s in santo domingo. they are great italian butchers and may be able to help you. Sometimes i go to Carrefour and get their baguettes which are the closest i have found to a decent italian hero bread.
    I am sooooooo going to look them up on my next trip! While visiting I so dearly miss eating an awesome -monster- sub made with delicious quality cold cuts on a crusty bread....gotta go, just made myself hungry

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

sugar is cheap, that is why it is overloaded into bread in the DR. i have seen beautiful loaves of bread and after one bite i need to go to the dentist. if it is cheap, it is hard for a dominican baker to not add extra, "they like it sweet" he wil say. it is sad but i know of some poor dominican children that get a lot of their daily nutrition from bread an a peice of cheese, an egg, maybe a bolied platano, water, no sugary drinks, so the bread fills the bill for the days sugar quota, and if it don't taste sweet it's bad bread. sorry, health nuts out there, kids need sugar, instant food, goes right to the blood stream and feeds muscles.............it's hard for a dominican baker to get away from sugar.......give a good sourdough to your average dominican and he will say this bread is broken..............

11. Likes PeteyPablo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

With that being said, are there any besides the ones mentioned above that break the 'sugar habit'? Also if anyone knows around central DR like Bonao?