Missions

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Anybody have information on medical mission groups that may go to Santiago, and surrounding areas (within an hour or two), or even the Capital.
Please post mission group name
Telephone number/ Contact person
Specialty
How often per year they go to the area

Please, only medical mission groups, especially surgery and OB. I need to start forming contacts with missions that will be in the area so that I will have something to do and keep my skills up on my off time, as I will only work in the states 1 week and then I will have 35 days off. I will need something to do when my kids are in school. I heard that there are some Surgical missions that go to Nova, for example. Any info on those?

Thanks,

SHALENA

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
There is a group in Puerto Plata that does "operativos" in the barrios. The organizer is a retired physician from the US. The clinics tend not to be surgical or obstetric, but it is medical. The link to their website is:

International House of Hope | Without hope there is no life.

There is also the very large clinic in August that dv8's brother-in-law organizes. They have many doctors working there. I can PM you, if you want, the name and telephone number of a physician in Santiago who does a lot of free clinics.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I week and 35 days off ?! I chose the wrong career :(

Good luck in your search !

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
That word Nova should've said "Moca"

Thanks alot LaProfe, I will check into it....look out for a PM

Africaida.....yes, my career has its advantages, one being that there is always a shortage so they'll take what.they can get. Actually here, I am ALLOWED up to 6 weeks off between stints but I won't take that much! One week of nursing is you work it right can get you between $1550-$3000 after taxes

SHALENA

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
One of my closest friends is a traveling nurse who spends her summers in Alaska and winters in Marco Island FLA. Not a bad set up at all!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well I know one here in Santiago but unfortunately know Shalena won't see my post as she has me on ignore, oh well.

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
Here is one that does a lot of work in Santiago. He is a spine surgeon and has a lot of upcoming dates now and even into next year in Santiago.

International Surgical Foundation

International Surgical Foundation
8573 E Princess Drive, Suite #221
Scottsdale, AZ 85255
480-656-4048

Also found this school in NC Greensboro that the Nursing Staff and students take trips in March to do work in the DR not sure what area so here is the site info.

Surgical Mission to Dominican Republic | UNCG Campus Weekly

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Transformation House in Cabarete/Sabaneta area is always looking for help. They have a medical mission there that treats all different kinds of medical problems every day. You can find them on the web I believe, or if you're interested I can get more information for you. It's an awesome opportunity to help.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Catholic Medical Mission Board. they have a website, address in Midtown. Google them up and see what they do.

Josemexicano

Apr 24, 2011
That word Nova should've said "Moca"

Thanks alot LaProfe, I will check into it....look out for a PM

Africaida.....yes, my career has its advantages, one being that there is always a shortage so they'll take what.they can get. Actually here, I am ALLOWED up to 6 weeks off between stints but I won't take that much! One week of nursing is you work it right can get you between $1550-$3000 after taxes

SHALENA

shalena!! Can I marry you :)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
BUMP.....

I am going on my first Midwifery clinical trip to.DR the end of December. I do not know exactly where yet but will be there for 2 weeks. The midwife that is heading it is well known and has been doing these trips (2-3 per yr) since 1986. What are normal fees for trips like this. The fee doesn't sound bad but I just want to make sure it isn't over the top. Also we have to bring 2 suitcases of medical supplies and baby clothes. She also likes (doesn't require) if we leave our scrubs for the nurses at the hospital. I will be going to all of her DR trips from now on as I will get a lot of my clinical skills checked off while being able to go to DR! I think 2 babies died on their last trip (one premature, the other meconium aspiration) but seems like they learned a lot and one of the OBs have them a class on suturing the vagina after a tear.

I'm excited.....if you guys know of anymore let me know!

SHALENA

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
BUMP.....

I am going on my first Midwifery clinical trip to.DR the end of December. I do not know exactly where yet but will be there for 2 weeks. The midwife that is heading it is well known and has been doing these trips (2-3 per yr) since 1986. What are normal fees for trips like this. The fee doesn't sound bad but I just want to make sure it isn't over the top. Also we have to bring 2 suitcases of medical supplies and baby clothes. She also likes (doesn't require) if we leave our scrubs for the nurses at the hospital. I will be going to all of her DR trips from now on as I will get a lot of my clinical skills checked off while being able to go to DR! I think 2 babies died on their last trip (one premature, the other meconium aspiration) but seems like they learned a lot and one of the OBs have them a class on suturing the vagina after a tear.

I'm excited.....if you guys know of anymore let me know!

SHALENA

Congrats ! Can't wait to read the "trip report".

Midwife without borders :)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Congrats ! Can't wait to read the "trip report".

Midwife without borders :)

OMG, I'm soooooo excited!! I will have to retrain myself to labor and deliver women without all of the technology that I have here. That is going to be hard for me as I feel safe with all of the machines as I know what's going on but she says that fear will go away. I am also going to get training from Ina May Gaskin who is like the Midwife of all Midwives! She has written many books and we use the Gaskin Manuever in L&D that was named after her, I will be going to Tennessee next year for a week with her.
In another thread, Guzman said that he did not see any law against Midwives practicing in DR but I will need to check with the Ministry of Health (???). There may be hope yet......

SHALENA