Dominoes Rules in DR?

R

Rick Pagels

Does anyone know where I can find the rules and maybe a bit of stategy on the Dominican way of playing dominoes especially here in Santo Domingo. Please email me if you know of a place on Internet, or the name of the particular type of game played here. I'm getting beaten badly and feel sorry for my partners!

H

hillbilly

Generally speaking..

Orlando Contreras wrote a three part article on Dominoes: Game and Theory. It was in the La Informacion some time ago.

In theory, you should try and 'kill' your opponents play by placing another number on what he left; help your partner by putting the same number he left, if it was 'killed' by the opponents; and lastly simply lay down the doubles you get.

Generally speaking, again, five doubles in one hand will nullify the hand.

Learn to count to seven, the number of dominoes of any one number: 0/0, 0/1, 0/2, -0/3, 0/4, 0/5, 0/6. After all, there are only 28 in a game. Cuban-style domino goes all the way to double 9...

Some times, guys have "secret" signals, like slamming down the domino to say: "Come again", or spinning a domino. These are frowned upon in competitive circles and have caused deaths...

HB

C

CES

Re: "in competitive circles . . .

and have caused deaths... "

A spirited game as played by the "true" aficionados is sight to behold, very entertaining, lots laughs, lots arguments, a little rum :) or more and a beer or two. It's a real challenge to fallow all the competing conversations, everybody that's playing and all the onlookers have something important to say all at the same time. A genuine LOL time for all. For those you that haven't played dominos with a group of impassioned Dominicans you've missed one of life's memorable treats . . .

. . . CES

C

Clara

A.K.A. "Romin?"

as rum-domin?, the proper Dominican way to play it.