Need to buy a car near Santiago

Superdude

Jun 10, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I finally managed to get my parents to retire and as most Dominicans who were born on the island, they feel it's best to move back home to live out the rest of their lives. It's good they moved because they really feel at home in DR and it gives me and my family a reason to go down there twice a year!

There is one piece that's missing, they need a car. I'm looked into shipping a car to DR and the hassle is not worth it. Now, I need to find a place near Santiago since they live in Tenares, not sure if i spelled that correctly, where i can buy them a diesel car for a good price.

Can anyone recommend a good dealership? Also, do they have a website i can visit and a number to call so that i can make arrangements for when I visit my parents in the next couple of weeks?

Thank you all in advanced. I really don't know anything about DR, i was born there and raised in NYC like most in my generation (30 years old). Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

There are many used and new car dealers in the Santiago, Moca area. Are you looking for a used vehicle? You can check out www.supercarros which is a Dominican website that shows used cars throughout the DR. If you are buying a used car you are probably better off dealing with a private party vs. a used car dealer. I bought a car about 6 months ago and was fortunate to hook up with a guy in Santo Domingo who was selling his vehicle. I went to a few used car dealers in Moca and it seemed that they were trying to sell used cars which they not put any money into to repair any problems. I was looking to spend $8-10,000 USD. This was for a 2002 or 2003. If you are looking for something new it may be different. You can go on line and google new and used cars in the Santiago area and you will find some information. Sorry I don't have any specific names for you. Be prepared to spend 30-50% more for a car in the DR than you would in NYC. The registration and title process is a little more involved here in the DR. Good luck.

S

Superdude

Jun 10, 2011
JDJones - With the gas prices so high, Diesel is the only thing that makes sense. Especially for a Pickup truck. My budget is 15K USD.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you can access the Clasificados of the Listin Diario, they generally list a lot of cars, SUVs and pickups. You should be able to get a nice 5 or 6 year old small Peugeot or VW diesel car for that price. The roads around Tenares are pretty good. Unless they live in a campo, that is...And if you look around, you can find deals, that is for sure, and probably better than a 10 year old vehicle...I hope so at least!

HB

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
What ever car you buy run the vin number through carFax to check it history (only good if the car came from the US) What you find may suprise you. When we were shopping we found very good looking cars that had:
Odometer turned back 100,000 miles
Cars with Junk, or slavage tittles
Cars that had been envolved in major wrecks and written off as total losses.

So be very careful.

Bob K

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
OP, sure you wouldn't consider sending one from NYC? If I remember correctly DR allows Dominicans to import a car tax free every XX(don't remember the number) years. You can get someone to handle the shipping for you. Just sayin.... :)