Someone trustworthy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coralia

Mar 30, 2007
www.myspace.com
Hi there duttyfree, my name is Coralia can You please send me a message with email address and/or phone number please? or call me 829-861-7022 thanks...so we can exchange info
Coralia

joejamchicago

Dec 29, 2008
someone trustworthy

I need someone to open my house, in Sosua a few times a month. Anyone have a suggestion???

I recommended a handyman named Papuch to a woman who purchased a home here in Sosua. He had worked
for me for four years--very trustworthy. She has been very very happy with his services, including watching
her place when she is away. Email me at <joeenglish25@hotmail.com> if you'd like more info. I am sure she
too would be happy to provide him an excellent reference. Joe English:classic:

my email address is <joeenglish25@hotmail.com>

well, apparently email addresses can't be shown? call me if you like at either 773-379-9796 or 829-754-3948

Megoreilly

Oct 14, 2009
I have a wonderful housekeeper who has always gone above and beyond to protect my interests. She is a real gem. If you want to reply to me, I can give you her info under private cover. I haven't been to my place in a few months, but she continues to clean it and air it out, despite the fact I never asked her.......she is just that diligent!

duttyfree

Jun 10, 2011
Just so everyone doesn't think I'm an idiot, I know how to spell "duty free". Years ago, I made a purchase at POP airport, and on the bag, it said Dutty Free. It still cracks me up.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I know a Canadian lady who watches houses and walks dogs and what-not. pm me for more info

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
I need someone to open my house, in Sosua a few times a month. Anyone have a suggestion???

Hire a property management co. at least you will have a signed argreement, and a matter of recourse in the event they steal, damage, squat, eat, sleep and mess up your place.....and in the back of your mind always think....Can you really ever trust anyone that you cant keep tabs on...so then you will need someone to what your house keeper, and watch your house keeper watcher and so on and so on....lol;)

duttyfree

Jun 10, 2011
I hate to say it, but I'd more than likely trust a recommendation coming from an American or Canadian. It might sound terrible, but I'm a great judge of character, if I stick within my own culture. Once I have to cross cultural lines, it gets complicated.

Aug 21, 2007
Simply hire a reputable property management company. Lots of home owners do that here. Do your research. Ask the company to give you a list of clients. Call them (the clients) and ask questions.

Never, ever trust someone you do not know, who tells you to contact another individual. That is only asking for trouble, even if most of these people are acting with good will. This is a country with hard lessons that can be costly.

Many of us learned the hard way. We are trying to save you the grief.

Good luck.

(Perhaps an appropriate question would be to ask for a list of property managers in your area.)

Lindsey

duttyfree

Jun 10, 2011
Simply hire a reputable property management company. Lots of home owners do that here. Do your research. Ask the company to give you a list of clients. Call them (the clients) and ask questions.

Never, ever trust someone you do not know, who tells you to contact another individual. That is only asking for trouble, even if most of these people are acting with good will. This is a country with hard lessons that can be costly.

Good luck.

(Perhaps an appropriate question would be to ask for a list of property managers in your area.)

Lindsey

I met with a rental agent/property manager who's affiliated with a real estate agency, when I was down in April. She apparently has a very good reputation. Can't even get an email back from her, unless I email the realtor and let her know that the agent is not responding, and then I get a response. She was supposed to be getting back to me with her rates, etc. (I was initially only going to use her as a rental agent), but this is getting old. She sends me an email, I respond, she doesn't respond back, I email the realtor, she contacts her, and then I get a response. Good reputation or not, if I can't get an email response, do I want this person maintaining my property?
I have a gardener who's a little more expensive than most, but he's amazing. (not the type who starts off doing a good job and then eventually does practically nothing). And I do have someone going in to clean once a month and open the house once a week. Trouble is, now I find out that she's cleaning once a month (allegedlly) and opening the house "occasionally". This is after me already explaing to her that I really don't care if she cleans unless I'm coming. It's more important that the house gets open, faucets open, etc. It's a cake job. Heck, I'd even do it.
A dear friend of mine lives across the street, and her maid seems to always know what goes on or doesn't go on, at my house. Why isn't my friend opening my house, you may be asking yourself? The answer is, she's dominican and would get overwhelmed by chewing gum and walking at the same time. She has 2 young kids and works full time. Mind you, I own a business, am a single parent, have a home and yard to take care of in the states, plus the house in DR to think about, AND I can't afford to have maids, nannies, etc., and somehow I manage. Anyway, she cant handle more than 1thing at a time, so...but she does make sure that my electric is paid, etc. so I'm not complaining.

duttyfree

Jun 10, 2011

Good luck.

Lindsey

Nothing is simple in DR. LOL

Aug 21, 2007
There are many, many property managers on the North Coast. Some are better than others. If you have trouble receiving return phone calls from one, why not try another? If a property manager does not have the time to return your calls, how can they have the time to follow through with your property?

If, however, you are interested in an individual caring for your property rather than a business, then that is a bit more dicey, more risky.

You said your gardener does a good job. Does he know someone, perhaps?

Good luck!

Lindsey

Status
Not open for further replies.