How to send $$$ from DR to US???

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
I have searched the forums high and low and found tons on sending to DR, but not vice versa. I know, it is sooo not the norm lol

I have friends that want me to purchase and ship them items (mainly computers and electronics) from the US, so they need to send me money. What is the best -and- cheapest way to do so? I gave up on trying to find a bank with offices in both countries. Any ideas???

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bank Wire, should be about $40 US for any amount. Takes about 5 days.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Ok, I guess that is fair. Problem with 5 days wait is that I run into really good deals and those sales don't typically last very long. Is there anything faster?

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
You could always use "Caribe-expess" they do it a lot cheaper than any bank I know. You should first find out if they have a receiving house/business in your state. I know they have places in NY and New Jersey, don't know if they do business in other states.

Hope this helps.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
We just ended up using Caribe Express, holy sh*t was that expensive! To send $2100 cost $157!!!! There has to be something cheaper. Any idea what Western Union charges? It doesnt show rates from DR to US on their website.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Western Union is outrageously high. If there is a cheap way I have not heard of it. Best bet is having friends that go back and forth.

Reese

Oct 5, 2010
It depends on how much money you want to send but you can do money gram at banco resv, popular and a couple others. On the website it gives you the rates.

Exchange Rate 1 DOP = 0.025823 USD
Same DayEconomy
Send Amount 76,923.08 DOP
Receive Amount 1,986.42 USD
Fee* 3,076.92 DOP

Total Cost 80,000.00 DOP

https://www.moneygram.com/MGI/EN/DO/About/About.htm?CC=DO&LC=EN

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Judging from the above....

it might be as simple as putting a check in a Fedex/UPS envelope and 'overnighting' to the US.

Anybody ever tried that ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Western Union, I have used to send money to foreign lands.
I do have a Pay Pal account.

These people must have credit cards, can't they take advantage of the sales themselves?

I have seen great laptops coming into the country for about 1/2 the cost of them here at local dealers...legally entering, no schlepped in by a friend, mind you. ..

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yea, it does. But the holder has to have opened his account in a Western Europe or North American country.

Right.... I believe that the US bank account solves all these problems..... but the US banks are not friendly to foreigners.

My business accounts were closed because i was not a citizen or a resident alien (permanent resident).
No commercial banking available........ so far the personal accounts are still active.

We'll see

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
i believe west/union charges 7 percent

Here is how it works sending WU to the US. Say you want to send $1,000 US and you go to an office in the DR. First they will not take the dollars, so you have to change them to pesos. Of course now it will cost you more than the $1,000 US that you started with due to the exchange rate. Then you pay in pesos, along with the fee. Then in the US the money is changed again to US dollars. Bottom line, they screw you both ways.

One more thing, don't expect smooth sailing in the US to get the cash. I sent someone $4,000 US and it took them two days to get paid. Also if you send over $5,000 US you need to virtually take a blood test to get it done. So if you want to get robbed, WU is the way to go. For me, never again.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Ok, I guess that is fair. Problem with 5 days wait is that I run into really good deals and those sales don't typically last very long. Is there anything faster?
If you trust these people, buy the deals and tell them to bank wire the $$. When you get the $$ send them the stuff,

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Find people who want the get $$ into the DR. Use paypal. Your buyer in the DR gives the $$ to the local guy who sends you the $$ through PayPal. The $$ comes from his bank account in the US to PP. You get the $$, the buyer gets his stuff and the local guy got his $$ into the DR. All this within a few minutes. Costs ?? Dunno. Maybe not cost effective.......

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Right.... I believe that the US bank account solves all these problems..... but the US banks are not friendly to foreigners.

My business accounts were closed because i was not a citizen or a resident alien (permanent resident).
No commercial banking available........ so far the personal accounts are still active.
We'll see

I think you can do it with Canadian or Europeans accounts also.