various types of police

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I've seen many mentions of various types of police, usually called by their different initials. I did a quick search, but couldn't find a comprehensive listing of the various types, and their responsibilities.

I'm sure it must vary by locale, but in general what are the names of the different police forces and what is their function. Yea.. I know I'm going to get the wise crack comments.. like, "their function is to rip you off" ... but I'd like some real answers too! :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
PN: The National Police. Basically what a police department is supposed to do
AMET: Because of rampant corruption amongst PN traffic cops, Balaguer created the AMET (Metropolitan Transit Authority)to handle traffic issues. Theoretically well paid, recruited from Army and young men seeking to study in university, they allegedly are immune to bribes for infraction. They tend not to smile, and have shot first and asked questions later.
POLITUR: A police force created out of the PN and Armed Forces to protect and serve the tourist area. Personal impression is that it suks as an investigative agency and does not prevent much crime. But I do not live in a tourist area so I really should not opine.
DNCD: The National Directorate for Drug Control, created to fight the war on drugs. It is currently commanded by a PN major general and recruits its members from all of the branches of the Armed Forces and PN.
CESA: Specialized Corps for Airport Security. In theory a specially trained corps of men and officers to identify drug mules. false passports and such at airports. Sometimes they do a good job, other times not so good.
CESFRONT: In an attempt to bolster security on the frontier with Haiti, the Cesfront was established. Basically just another designation for army elements assigned to the frontier. They are supposed to get better pay so as not to be so susceptible to bribery...Don't know if it works or not.. it does not seem to..
DNI: The local equivalent to the "FBI" in theory at least. Little is known of their personnel. They seem to be attached to the Armed Forces..

Did I miss any?

HB

Feb 7, 2007
Most likely DNCD, but depends...this past Friday, in Capital, driving by DNCD HQ, about 8 pickups loaded with "men in black" each pickup at least 15 men (and women) -5 inside and 10 at the back - some with face masks some not, all HEAVILY armed, plus 2 jeepetas, plus 1 ambulance, all blasting sirens and lights, took off from DNCS HQ heading north on Maximo Gomez... I didn't read in papers, though, of any major "event"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
These are not units. J2 and G2 are intelligence departments of Armed Forces. Metro:>??? never heard of them.
There are, of course, SWAT units which dress to scare.
But I think everything else is under one of those major components I mentioned above.
Oy vey!...Yes Henrietta, there are also "city" cops but they are almost useless..no weapons, training or power to do anything, IMO.

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
POLITUR: A police force created out of the PN and Armed Forces to protect and serve the tourist area. Personal impression is that it suks as an investigative agency and does not prevent much crime. But I do not live in a tourist area so I really should not opine.

HB
We have an association with a Politur chief. Perhaps their role is different up here and in Samana, but besides patrolling areas with many tourists, they are also a link between someone with a tourist visa (expired or not) and the local PN. If you're a tourist with a problem, go to Politur and they *should* help you work your way through the LE system, more as an advocate than direct Law Enforcement.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
THANKS H.B.... this is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Very useful, and might be worth a sticky or something so it doesn't get lost over time.

I'm going to print this out and add it to my D.R. info binder.

PN: The National Police. Basically what a police department is supposed to do
AMET: Because of rampant corruption amongst PN traffic cops, Balaguer created the AMET (Metropolitan Transit Authority)to handle traffic issues. Theoretically well paid, recruited from Army and young men seeking to study in university, they allegedly are immune to bribes for infraction. They tend not to smile, and have shot first and asked questions later.
DNCD: The National Directorate for Drug Control, created to fight the war on drugs. It is currently commanded by a PN major general and recruits its members from all of the branches of the Armed Forces and PN.
CESA: Specialized Corps for Airport Security. In theory a specially trained corps of men and officers to identify drug mules. false passports and such at airports. Sometimes they do a good job, other times not so good.
CESFRONT: In an attempt to bolster security on the frontier with Haiti, the Cesfront was established. Basically just another designation for army elements assigned to the frontier. They are supposed to get better pay so as not to be so susceptible to bribery...Don't know if it works or not.. it does not seem to..
DNI: The local equivalent to the "FBI" in theory at least. Little is known of their personnel. They seem to be attached to the Armed Forces..

Did I miss any?

HB