Application for residency - apostilisation etc...

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
Hello,
I'll be applying for my residency when I get back to DR in September and know that to do this I need to have my birth certificate apostilised and translated. I was told that it is better to get my English certificate apostilised and then get it translated in DR.

Does anyone know what is best to do?

Thanks

Vicky

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hello,
I'll be applying for my residency when I get back to DR in September and know that to do this I need to have my birth certificate apostilised and translated. I was told that it is better to get my English certificate apostilised and then get it translated in DR.

Does anyone know what is best to do?

Thanks

Vicky

Also be very careful with the apostilisation - I was horrified to read the other day that a company was charging almost ?160 to arrange for a document to be 'apostilled' whereas it is less that ?30 to apply and get it done yourself which is hassle free - full details here The Legalisation Office (FCO) - The only competent authority in the UK to issue apostilles and legalisation certificates.

its_vix

Jun 12, 2011
Yeah, thanks whileybird. I emailed alot of companies until the FCO told me that really they're the only official people who should do this.
I just wasn't sure whether I should get it translated over here too - or it'd be ok to have it done in DR when needed. I'm not exactly hiring a lawyer, but I will be getting some help from experienced people.

Colombianonrd

Oct 25, 2011
Also be very careful with the apostilisation - I was horrified to read the other day that a company was charging almost ?160 to arrange for a document to be 'apostilled' whereas it is less that ?30 to apply and get it done yourself which is hassle free - full details here The Legalisation Office (FCO) - The only competent authority in the UK to issue apostilles and legalisation certificates.

I keep reading the word apostilisation, what is that????
Im pretty sure is has nothing to do with being an apostle of Jesus Christ....

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
You have to get it translated at the Embassy of DR in your country.

Also I want to know how long it takes now. My lawyer told me it will take 4 - 6 months but now application is with them for almost 6 months and i have no answer yet.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Yeah, thanks whileybird. I emailed alot of companies until the FCO told me that really they're the only official people who should do this.
I just wasn't sure whether I should get it translated over here too - or it'd be ok to have it done in DR when needed. I'm not exactly hiring a lawyer, but I will be getting some help from experienced people.

Last year I translated all my wife's and daughter's documents for their respective visa and passport.

No worries if you do it right and make it look professional - which would be a stretch if you used some of the local so-called translators.

OOPS! Just seen that you need the translation in the other direction...... apologies.
My point was that I was told to go and spend money on translating documents when this was not necessary.

Last edited:

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Yes. The residency application process is taking longer than usual. It took six months to get my permanent residency. Rumor has it the residency law is changing. They will require an applicant to live in the country for 10 years before granting permanent residency?? Maybe Mr. Guzman can clarify on the issue?