Meat connoisseurs? Meat cuts in spanish or should I say in Dominican?

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
No luck on google since the names for meat cuts differ by country.
I would appreciate any assistance in requesting the following cuts from
the butcher during our upcoming visit.

-Proper names for lean meat cuts (tenderloin, sirloin, chuck or round).
-Chuck roast for ground beef.
-I'll try my chance at rack of lamb if anyone knows. I've never seen a lamb in DR...but how do
you say it? May be worth a try.

What sort of meat (beef) is most common for BBQ?

Thanks in advance

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am sure someone can help you with the names of various cuts in Spanish vs English. My response is to warn you about beef here in general. It is rarely good unless you really know what you are getting from a place that knows how to age beef. It is a far safer bet to purchase only imported beef unless you enjoy eating shoe leather or rubber. Just trying to warn you so that you are not disappointed.

I have heard good reports on the Churasco and Fillet Mignon sold by City Market in Sosua across from Sosua Ocean Village. Perhaps others can confirm that?

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Carne 101....Beef 101....

Paleta/Chuck
Corazon de Paleta/chuck shoulder for Pot Roast
Bistec Corazon de Taleta/chuck shoulder for Steak boneless
Bistec de Plancheula/Chuck eye Steak
Bistec de Planchuela/chuck Top blade Steak boneless
Bistec de Juil/Chuck Mock Tender Steak
Bistec de Diezmillo/Chuck blade steak boneless
Paleta del 7 en trozo/Chuck 7 bone -Pot Roast
Cistillas Cargadas/Chuck Short Ribs

LOmo/Short Loin
Bistec de Lomo-Top loin Strip steak
T-Bone Steak/T-bone steak
Porterhouse steak/Porterhouse steak
Filete en trozo/Tenderloin Roast Beef
Bistec de filete/tenderloin steaks

Aguayo'n /Sirloin
Bistec de Aguayo'n/ Top sirlion steak
Empuje en trozo/Tri-tip Roast
Bistec de Empuje/Tri-tip Steak

Pierna/Round
Bistec de Centro/Top round steak
Milanesa de Pulpa Bola/Round tip steak -thin cut
Pulpa Bila en trozo/round tip roast
Pulpa Contra en trozo/Bottom round roast
Cuete en trozo/eye round roast
Bistec de Cuete/eye round steak

Costillar/Rib
Costillar Punta Pequena/Rib Roast
Chulenton/Rib Steak
Costillar/Rib eye roast
Rib eye steak/Rib eye steak
Costillas Traseras/Back ribs

Brazuelo/Shank

Pecho/Brisket
Chambarete/shank cross cut
Pecho entero/Brisket whole
Pecho Corte Plano/Brisket flat cut boneless

Falda Anterior/Plate
Falda Posterior/Flank
Arrachera/Skirt steak
Falda/Flank Steak

Otros cortes/other cuts

Carne Molida/Ground beef

Bistee Suavizado/Cubed Steak

Cubos para Brochetas/Beef for Kabobs

Carne para guisar/Beef for Stew

Tritas de Carne/Beef for Stir fry

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Here you go...Porkmeister

Spanish: English
centro de esadilla: blade steak
chamorros: shank
chicharrones: cracklings
chuletas: pork chops
costillas: spare ribs
espadilla: arm steaks
lomo de cerdo: boneless tenderloin
manitas: pork feet
manteca: lard
milanesa: cutlet
pierna: shoulder
punta de jamon: ham end
tocino: bacon
tocino natural: pork belly

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Many thanks for your replies.
Going to the butcher was a bad idea (very bad) as I couldn't eat beef during my stay after that experience.
I stuck to chicken (no feet eewww) and seafood.
On a good note this was one of my best vacations to DR (and I've had more than I can count).
We were able to stick to our workout routine, healthy eating and loads of entertainment all surrounded by awesome people.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I can understand how going to a Dominican butcher shop here would have that effect on you. Glad to see you adjusted your diet to compensate. You didn't miss much by not eating any beef here.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Being currently in Argentina I go to Cabanas Las Lilas for steak. This is the website with the menu, in Spanish with English translation. Some of the cuts in Argentina have different names than the norm though. By the way the meat here is awesome to say the least.

Las Lilas

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Being currently in Argentina I go to Cabanas Las Lilas for steak. This is the website with the menu, in Spanish with English translation. Some of the cuts in Argentina have different names than the norm though. By the way the meat here is awesome to say the least.

Las Lilas

Argentina is indeed famous for beef. Maybe you can find out the secret and bring it back with you to the DR and let everyone here know how they do it. For those looking for a good business opportunity, how about raising beef cattle in the DR with that level of quality?

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Argentina is indeed famous for beef. Maybe you can find out the secret and bring it back with you to the DR and let everyone here know how they do it. For those looking for a good business opportunity, how about raising beef cattle in the DR with that level of quality?

The Argentines themselves will tell you that it's the right breeding, the vast open free range and great grazing that make the beef so good. No battery farming, no force feeding, no steroids, no hormones and no enzymes other than what they pick up in the grass and the fresh water on the plains.

Jan 17, 2009
I have been asking for Arrachera (skirt steak) but haven't found a butcher yet that knows what it is. I went as far as showing the cut in a cow's pic. I ended up concluding that Arrachera was only used for skirt steak in Mexico. Has anyone found it anywhere in the North Coast? Thanks

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I have been asking for Arrachera (skirt steak) but haven't found a butcher yet that knows what it is. I went as far as showing the cut in a cow's pic. I ended up concluding that Arrachera was only used for skirt steak in Mexico. Has anyone found it anywhere in the North Coast? Thanks
Just ask for "Churrasco"

Jan 17, 2009
I tried Churrasco many times but not from Nacional. Very tough! I'll see to get some at Nacional next time I go to Santiago. Thanks.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Meat from Argentina is indeed one of the best. I've had churrasco in the DR and believe me that was not churrasco.
Raising cattle, red or black Angus, in an all natural environement in those valleys on the way from Moca to Puerto Plata.
What a beaut!

Yum I want some Fogo de Chao, lol!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I tried Churrasco many times but not from Nacional. Very tough! I'll see to get some at Nacional next time I go to Santiago. Thanks.

Get the recipe from Adam Perry Lang's 'Serious Barbecue'... it has a marinade for Flank steak which helps to tenderize.
Same thing for the RD pollo's.... they need a brine or marinade.

Those pollos give a new meaning to 'free range'.... they're real athletes !!! Runners !!