Manati Sanctuary

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There Reserve is there. According to what I was told, about 20-25% of all the manatees on the island are there. A very small pod.

But something is something. The roads are good now.

HB

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
So glad to hear there is a Manati Sanctuary. This is super interesting that there is a place to go to even have the opportunity for a glimpse at these endangered creatures.

I learn something new all the time in this small nation. Like today when I was confirmed the existence of numerous raccoons on Isla Catalina. Crazy.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
There Reserve is there. According to what I was told, about 20-25% of all the manatees on the island are there. A very small pod.

But something is something. The roads are good now.

HB

We've been to the sanctuary in Estero Hondo - nice, quiet. Close to Playa Rusia too :)

AE

I've been there, but never saw any manatees.. Did you actually see them or were told (like me) that there were manatees there?

The guide was more interested in squeezing out additional money by illegally diving for oisters and clams then he was in actually finding the manatees.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've been there, but never saw any manatees.. Did you actually see them or were told (like me) that there were manatees there?

The guide was more interested in squeezing out additional money by illegally diving for oisters and clams then he was in actually finding the manatees.

We didn't go on a tour or visit/see the Manatees . Actually we were there because my sister-in-law's brother purchased and was renovating a hotel & restaurant on the same little road, maybe a mile or so before the actual sanctuary. He just opened recently, it's called Manatee Bay Excursions and Restaurant. He has a boat for visitors who want to go to a private island, I think lunch is included, etc.

Manatee's Travel Service in Punta Rucia, Dominican Republic - Localyte.com

His name is Joe [Jose], Dominican, but raised in USA, perfect English.

AE

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
I stumbled upon this yesterday and had no idea of its existence: Explora! Estero Hondo (Observaci?n de Manat?es) ? Explora! Dominicana

Supposedly, there is a Manati Sanctuary in Estero Hondo. Has anyone ever been? Any feedback?

Thanks.

Hey Caribbeandreamto--

My girlfriend and I are going this Sunday with Explora. I will let you know if we see any. Explora is a great guide company. In the promotional material for Sunday's trip they are careful to advise that observing manatees is like observing any wildlife, it requires silence, patience and luck.

If you want a "guaranteed" wildlife sighting, a zoo is a more appropriate destination.

I will watch out for the illegal clam guys though. And I will let you know if we spot any!

Wish us luck!

--GG

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Caribbeandreamto!

We saw four or five manitees! I am not sure if they were different manitees or the same one, over and over again. A grand time was had by all (although very sweatty and hot). And we did not encounter any illegal clam guys either.

GG

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
My photos are mostly of myself and my girlfriend, on the boat during the search for the manatees and afterwards at Punta Rusia beach. I have one shot of a manatee but really all you will see in the photo are some ripples in the water. We saw snouts and tails and backs but I only brought my iPhone for pictures. Others on the trip brought big expensive cameras with big lenses. Are you still interested in seeing some photos? I can post them but be warned, they are light on actual manatees.