Dominican Postal System Worth A Try

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I've got something defective to send back to the seller in the US for a $50 refund, but much of that would be eaten up by the cost of sending it by UPS or FedEx.

In a recent thread, someone mentioned they had good service sending something to the US by mail. So this afternoon I went to the Sosua post office to talk with Berta, the postmistress, who seemed to be a bright, friendly, competent person. She said they now have many people sending things by mail and showed me letters and parcels ready to go tomorrow, one of the parcels to France. All were being sent certificated, which Berta said was fast and reliable. she said what I am sending to the US should be there in a few days.

So tomorrow I am going back and send my item and am quite optimistic that it will reach its destination.

But either way, I will report when I know the result.

Jan 17, 2009
I used the EMS service at the Sousa Post Office many times in the past. It works well.

Sosua Post Office is almost in a small shopping center, more or less across the street from Supermercado Sosua.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Looking forward to the report!

I'll take even a slowish system that is RELIABLE at a decent price over current options.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is in the corner, almost under the dental office of Wendy Juma.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
My sister-in-law ships 'things' to my wife every two or three month for the past 2 years from NJ using USPS International Priority and she has ALWAYS received it within two weeks of shipment. My wife does the same (sends junk to her sister) about 4 times a year using INPOSDOM EMS and it has ALWAYS arrived within two weeks of shipping. I have also bought small items from ebay from sellers that have shipping to the DR via USPS and I have always received my package. The last item I bought from ebay was a 12 cell battery for my HP DV5000 laptop, shipped to my house here in DR via USPS cost me US$65 and 10 days wait. Finally I purchase many small replacement and electronic parts from India and I always have it ship EMS international from India to the DR for US$8. It usually take about a month to get here. Believe it or not all the time I've used INPOSDOM EMS either in or out of the DR it has worked for me.

NotLurking

Note repost from: http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/115195-fedex-you-gotta-kidding-me-3.html#post971855

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
That is great news, NotLurking. Thanks for reporting your experience.

How does it work for incoming mail. Do you go to post office to see it arrived until it does, or are you notified in some way when it does get here?

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Here in SD its worked every which way you can think of! They've called, they've just delivered the package without calling, we've called to track the package and finally we've just dropped by the post office that serves us and picked up our package.

I've also posted my experience with semiconductors I purchase from a company in India. I've always shipped EMS for US$8 from India and I haven't lost a package yet! I think INPOSDOM is really trying to provide a good service at least more so now than before. For the price, it is hard to beat. Good luck with your package!

NotLurking

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Others have posted before that INPOSDOM works well in Santo Domingo, but perhaps not so well on the North Coast. It will be interesting to see if results on the North Coast are as favorable now since I have never had good luck with items sent from India.
Once when in the Sosua office a woman received a package that was shipped with a cell phone, Someone had opened the package, taken the phone and replaced it with a box of matches. I tried a couple of shipments from India, one never arrived and the other took over 3 months before it finally showed up.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Others have posted before that INPOSDOM works well in Santo Domingo, but perhaps not so well on the North Coast. It will be interesting to see if results on the North Coast are as favorable now since I have never had good luck with items sent from India.
Once when in the Sosua office a woman received a package that was shipped with a cell phone, Someone had opened the package, taken the phone and replaced it with a box of matches. I tried a couple of shipments from India, one never arrived and the other took over 3 months before it finally showed up.

Was this recent? Expat-in-Cabarete posted that he has used the Sosua post office many times without a problem.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The cost to send documents or packages by certified mail is based on the weight in kilograms. Here is a partial schedule in kilograms and Dominican pesos:

0.5 - RD$898

1.0 - 990

1.5 - 1,083

2.0 - 1,175

2.5 - 1,267

3.0 - 1,361

3.,5 - 1,455

4.,0 - 1,551

Documents are a little less.

To send something certified, the post office wants to see what is inside before it is sealed so that they are certifying what is actually in the package and not what is claimed to be in the package.

The certified mail goes by EMS (Express Mail Service). Mail sent from the Sosua office goes directly to Santo Domingo, not to Puerto Plata.

Como_un_cameron

Jan 8, 2011
Are these international rates ?

The cost to send documents or packages by certified mail is based on the weight in kilograms. Here is a partial schedule in kilograms and Dominican pesos:

0.5 - RD$898

1.0 - 990

1.5 - 1,083

2.0 - 1,175

2.5 - 1,267

3.0 - 1,361

3.,5 - 1,455

4.,0 - 1,551

Documents are a little less.

To send something certified, the post office wants to see what is inside before it is sealed so that they are certifying what is actually in the package and not what is claimed to be in the package.

The certified mail goes by EMS (Express Mail Service). Mail sent from the Sosua office goes directly to Santo Domingo, not to Puerto Plata.

Ken, are these rates for nation wide, worldwide or for something else ?
I could imagine they calculate a different rate for different countries.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken, are these rates for nation wide, worldwide or for something else ?
I could imagine they calculate a different rate for different countries.

Good question, I should have explained. The world is divided into different zones and each zone has a similar rate schedule based on kilograms. The rates that I posted are for the Puerto Rico/US zone.

The rate schedule is printed with all zones in columns on a single sheet. Go to the post office serving the area where you are and ask them to show you the rates so you can determine the zone you want to send to and price for doing so.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
This has also been my experience, at least it was when I lived in Santo Domingo.

My husband's employer in Denmark could not understand the concept of not shipping stuff via regular mail here, so my husband got his magazines, newsletters, salary caps and Xmas gifts (gadgets, watches, etc.) by way of Imposdom. I got cheques from customers all the time. They always arrived, very few times they were late, although in at least one occasion I had to go pick up an item there (Chiri came with me, very interesting experience) because it was "too valuable" to be delivered (two watches).

So yeah, they are one of those underrated services in this country.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This has also been my experience, at least it was when I lived in Santo Domingo.

My husband's employer in Denmark could not understand the concept of not shipping stuff via regular mail here, so my husband got his magazines, newsletters, salary caps and Xmas gifts (gadgets, watches, etc.) by way of Imposdom. I got cheques from customers all the time. They always arrived, very few times they were late, although in at least one occasion I had to go pick up an item there (Chiri came with me, very interesting experience) because it was "too valuable" to be delivered (two watches).

So yeah, they are one of those underrated services in this country.

Hi, Pib, nice to hear from you.

During Leonel's first term the mail service was very good. I was living in Samana then and used the post office exclusively. I have been told since that companies like EPS were afraid they would have to close because the mail service was so good.

After he left office the reputation of the postal service seemed to go down hill and the employees seemed demoralized. But now it seems as though it has improved quite a bit without many of us expats realizing it. I'll see what happens to the package I just sent, but talking with the manager of the Sosua office gave me a very good feeling. No doubt she is serious about her job, determined to give good service, and proud of their success with Express Mail Service (EMS)

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
If I want someone in, say, the UK to send me mail what do ask them to put on the envelope? Just EMS or IMPOSDOM EMS. I wonder how long it will take to get to Las Terrenas? Ordinary mail takes2 months!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Does the UK have something like priority mail in the US. If so, I would think that would be the best way to send it in order to get expedited service along the way.

However, someone with experience may have better information.

You should also check with the post office in Las Terrenas to see what they recommend.