Samana Airport to Sosua / Puerto plata in the evening??

rayma

Jun 14, 2011
Hi,
please can me tell everybody how can i come from Samana airport to sosua / puerto plata
after arrivel at 20:45?
Did they have some buses or taxis and how much will it costs?
Or should i take a car from a car rental?

Best Regards
Raymundo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Its about 2 1/2 hour drive.... you should definitely make arrangements in advance.

Either have a taxi or a driver standing by.

I can't even think of a nearby hotel where you could get a room until morning.

The good news is that you will clear customs/immigration very quickly.
AZS is very efficient that way.

Good luck.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
If you are planning on renting a car while you are in the DR than I would make arrangements to pick it up at the airport in El Catey. There is a rental car company in Cabarate called Universal car rental. There number is 809-223-3244. They will meet you at the airport. You probably will have to bring the driver back and drop him in Cabarate on the way through to Sosua. It is a straight shot from the airport to Sosua. You will be on Rt. 5 going west all the way. Even after dark the drive should not be a problem. The road has been resurfaced and is very good. After you leave the airport with the car you can get gas at Isla Gas which is about 4Km up the road on your left just past the entrance to the new highway which runs south to Santo Domingo. Before you leave the airport, make sure you get pesos at the airport, either from an ATM or Exchange Kiosk. You will need this for gas, which is about $5.75 a gal. USD. You will need to put about $1500 pesos worth into your car and most gas stations in this area do not take credit cards. If you opt to take a taxi from the airport to Sosua it will probably cost you $175-200USD. Good luck.

S

rayma

Jun 14, 2011
@ Hi William,
thanks for the ?nformation,
do you know everybody who can pick us up in the evening on around 9pm
for 5 persons, only the way from AZS to Sosua, thanks!

@LTSteve,
thanks for the information but i need only an transport from samana to sosua for 5 person,
maybe you know also everybody only for transport?
Thanks a lot!

cheers
Ray

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ray, I'm from Cabrera.... but there have been many posts here about reliable drivers from the Cabarete/Sosua area.

Either somebody will help out or search it.

Good luck.

I searched this for you.....
Bob K is a regular poster here, in April he twice suggested this driver
Elias, from Sosua/Cabarete taxi .... cell 809-842-5557

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
If you want to compare prices here is the name of a driver who I have have used from Las Terrenas to Las Americas in SD. I'm sure he would be willing to give you a price. His name is Nino Vega and his cell # 809-710-4914. Good luck.

S

rayma

Jun 14, 2011
Thanks a lot William,

i will call him and i will post it here later.

kindly regards
Ray

Ray, I'm from Cabrera.... but there have been many posts here about reliable drivers from the Cabarete/Sosua area.

Either somebody will help out or search it.

Good luck.

I searched this for you.....
Bob K is a regular poster here, in April he twice suggested this driver
Elias, from Sosua/Cabarete taxi .... cell 809-842-5557

rayma

Jun 14, 2011
Thanks a lot LTSteve,
i will call him and than i will see.

kindly regards
Ray

Hi:
If you want to compare prices here is the name of a driver who I have have used from Las Terrenas to Las Americas in SD. I'm sure he would be willing to give you a price. His name is Nino Vega and his cell # 809-710-4914. Good luck.

S

rayma

Jun 14, 2011
Hi Wiliam,
so i called him already and he want 150bucks for this trip...mhhh.... i think its a bit expensive... i will see what i will do
but thanks for the information

cheers
Ray

Thanks a lot William,

i will call him and i will post it here later.

kindly regards
Ray

rayma

Jun 14, 2011
Hi LTSteve,
so i called him already and he want 160$... i think thats too expensive for one way for around150km,
but thanks for the information.

cheers
Ray

Thanks a lot LTSteve,
i will call him and than i will see.

kindly regards
Ray

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't think either of prices is out of line.

Search the taxi rates from POP to LT..... same sort of trip, the other way.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Ray, that's what the fare is, too bad they are high but my peep pays that every time he does the trip.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I did the reverse lookup... POP to Nagua is $120-130 from last year's rates
AZS is a bit further...

Its almost 2 1/2 hours each way..... 5 hours plus waiting time...and a tank of gas.

If I had a driver - in my own car - I would be paying at least $50 ... + my gas of at least $50
I would be out $100.... + wear and tear on my car

rayma

Jun 14, 2011
Hi William and RV429,

i believe that the price there usually, but its expensive for me... i am travelling a lot in the whole world and i never heard about this high prices in this kind of country?s, but thanks a lot for your helps, maybe i have to look for another way, i cant pay that.

kindly regards
Ray

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
HI:

It may be one way for you but it is round trip for him. You may be able to negociate a better rate if you are going to use the same guy for the return trip but quite honestly that is the going rate. For the same price you can rent a car for the week. Your choice.

S