Which Ipad 3g for the D.R.?

LW1

Dec 1, 2008
I want to get an ipad 2 .They come in AT&T 3g and Verizon 3g, which is best for using codetel/claro?
Does the 3g actually work with the Ipad here?, is anyone using it now?I'd hate to get one that doesn't work here.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
You will have more options with the AT&T GSM-based 3G iPad, as that network type is available in a lot more places around the globe than CDMA (Verizon) old technology.

BUT!! The current data plans are for both are DOMESTIC only, which means you will need to pay roaming charges and buy a International data plans which are expensive at about $1 per MB (that’s right MB), which adds up very fast.

It’s better with iPhones/iPads traveling internationally to turn off the 3G and only use the Internet when connected to Wi-Fi.

Mark Lloyd

Sep 3, 2010
Hi

The iPad 2 is not locked to a carrier, in the US as stated above you have a choice of AT&T or verizon, coming to the dr or anywhere else in the world go for the AT&T model as it uses a gsm card. The only problem is that it uses the micro gsm card, so before you leave the states you will need to purchase a gsm micro cutter and sim adapter ( I will come to the adapter later) you can get these of eBay for a couple of dollars. When you reach the DR go to Claro with your mobile phone and and get a Claro sim pay as you card, this comes with 3G and put 300 to 600 peso credit on it. Then when you get back to where your staying take your new Claro sim out of your phone and put it in the micro cutter, cut it to size and put in your iPad 2 volia 3G on your iPad at local rates - however, do not leave it on all the time as it will eat through your credit. You can top your credit up from any local shop by buying a top up card. I mentioned earlier that you will need the sim adapter, the reason for this is when you top up the card you will need to place the sim card back in your phone to load the credit on it, as you have cut the size of your card to a micro sim you will need the sim adapter to increase the size back to a normal size sim to fit your phone. If you need to use your phone as well, take it to an orange dealer and get a sim from there for your phone. Hope that helps!

LW1

Dec 1, 2008
Mark,
thank you ffor your reply. I currently have banda ancha usb stick for backup when my wireless sucks. I am sure I can just use the sim card in my usb stick.

Mark Lloyd

Sep 3, 2010
I am sure you can, if you are stuck and need a micro cutter and adapter I have a spare adapter and would be happy to cut the card,

Regards
Mark

LW1

Dec 1, 2008
Mark,
kind of you to offer, but I am in Bayahibe, and as you mentioned the coutters are extremely cheap on Amazon and I will just order one. Thanks again for your help.