Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alzheimer's/Dementia in the DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alzheimer's/Dementia in the DR

Can anyone tell me how common Alzheimer's Disease and/or Dementia are among the elderly in the DR?

Are there any resources, clinics etc that specialize in this area on the North Coast?

Thanks!
    Sangria

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

from what I experienced you have to have one or both of them to either work for claro or edenorte...

sorry for the pun, no disrespect intended...

to be honest my experience on the north coast on medical issues is far below par... go to Santiago to Hom's or ask HB

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I have experienced (extended family) most are not educated on this process. Sad but so true. Most do not pay attention to the warning signs such was wandering, loss of memory, anxiety etc..I am not sure here in the Dominican Republic they have the ability to cope with or provide for such persons suffering from this. Keep in mind there is a difference between Alzheimer's and Dementia. They are 2 different diagnosis.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

100% !

Ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Keepcoming.

We are pretty sure my husband's father has Alzheimer's although there has not been any official diagnosis.

He has been getting confused at night time, confused with where he lives, who his family is, thinks it is 60 years ago and talks about needing to get back to work with his dad, doesn't want to sleep in the house at night because he says its not his house etc. He has been angry at times because of his confusion and it is taking its toll on my mother in law.

They have been to see 3 different doctors, all of which prescribed sleeping pills to help calm him at night. My mother in law thinks he won't wake up from them because they are so strong. She doesn't understand he needs to rest his brain and get a good sleep to minimize the outbursts. The more he misses his sleep the more confused he gets. Daytime is fine, evenings and nights are hell.

I guess we are hoping to find someone who can make a proper diagnosis, prescribe the right medication and give their caregiver some information on how to help them. At his age, I am sure there isn't much that can be done but again hoping to help the remainder of his life be peaceful for the both of them.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually Alzheimer’s is quite prevalent in the DR. The first symptoms generally occur when a Dominican borrows money from a foreigner

7. Likes blackrainbow, Criss Colon liked this post
    Dislikes sangria, Pib disliked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a home for elderly poor on the main road toward Santiago through Navarette. It is called Hogar de los Ancianos and the director is Sr. Josefina. Perhaps she might be able to make some suggestions about doctors and care for your husband's father.

By the way, the getting worse at night is typical Alzheimer's. It is called "sundowning." That is a nasty disease. My younger sister died of it back in 2006.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by La Profe_1 View Post
    There is a home for elderly poor on the main road toward Santiago through Navarette. It is called Hogar de los Ancianos and the director is Sr. Josefina. Perhaps she might be able to make some suggestions about doctors and care for your husband's father.

By the way, the getting worse at night is typical Alzheimer's. It is called "sundowning." That is a nasty disease. My younger sister died of it back in 2006.
    Thank you very much La Profe_1.

Hopefully they can help. It really is a very sad disease. Watching the people you love slowly disappear is really difficult to do.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Sent you a PM. I hope it helps.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I recently read a book by Barry Petersen, Jan's story. He works for a news network (CBS?) and his wife has Alzheimers. He talks in the book about "sundowners". It is very difficult to watch someone go through this. My mother in-laws father went through this. They would have family members take turns sitting with him at night. I know that he was also taking a medication that would calm him somewhat during the day. Still very difficult.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast