Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Prado a problem suv??

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Toyota Prado a problem suv??

Ok, my brother in law in shopping for a new suv and has pretty much decided on a Toyota Prado (new). I have looked at them with him and they look like a great vehicle. However, his best friend is very vocally opposed to the Prado as he says that it is a very dangerous vehicle as they are a target for thieves and other bad guys. He says that it is the most stolen vehicle in the DR and that it is highly dangerous to drive one! Normally I would not pay much attention to this but he is normally a fairly intelligent person and quite reasonable so this seems out of character for him. He is also wealthy so it is not a jealousy thing. Anyway, he is so emphatic about this that my brother in law is now having doubts in case this has some thread of truth to it. To me it seems equal to other suv's. Does anyone have any knowledge about this suv that we don't know?

Post Thanks / Like

They seem to be quite popular. I see them everywhere.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a foreigner who visit the DR a few times per year, one of my friends from USA who visit the country more than me is friends of people from the PN and another law and order organization. We were talking once about how bad suv owners in DR drive, they think the streets belongs to them. He also told me the his PN friend affirmed that Prados is the most popular vehicle among delinquents so in terms if delinquency it is not a good vehicle to own. In terms of street safety suvs are now the safest vehicle to drive because of the stability control system which is now a standard feature on all new cars. New Suvs protects more drivers and passengers than any other vehicle according to the NSTA and Consumer Reports tests.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

So they shouldn't be bought because they are the most popular vehicle for thieves to steal? In the US I would say "who cares?" But in DR if your car gets stolen, I'm sure its a pain in the a$$ situation as I'm sure the insurance company will do everything not to pay.

SHALENA

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

i think the issue is less of stealing and more of actual delinquentes driving that car. those big toyotas, mainly land cruiser but prado as well, are very trendy among drug dealers, somehow
    i'm not saying only narco bosees drive them, mind you. my father in law has one. and one of his sisters, who is a very "uncool" old wrinkled bat

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The worst drivers I have seen drive Toyota Prados and Mitsubishi Monteros. As for the Prado being a bad vehicle, I doubt Toyota makes a bad vehicle. As for buying a vehicle that is stolen often, that would cause me to reconsider buying it, but not be the overriding decision maker.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

they must be stolen at gunpoint because you just don't pick the lock, jimmy the door and hotwire a prado. the ones i've been in run on diesel which is a plus and perform like a porsche. beautiful interiors and not fuel beasts as are the toyota land cruiser.....all sounds like envy to me.........

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    The worst drivers I have seen drive Toyota Prados and Mitsubishi Monteros. As for the Prado being a bad vehicle, I doubt Toyota makes a bad vehicle. As for buying a vehicle that is stolen often, that would cause me to reconsider buying it, but not be the overriding decision maker.
    IN the US the Prado is sold as the Lexus GX 470.

Post Thanks / Like

My husbands family all own Prados they are very hard working people and my FIL loves his jeepeta because it safe and diesel!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a Prado for four years and have just traded it in for a Cayenne. In all honesty I think it was a mistake. I think I prefer the Prado. The 3 litre turbo diesel is a wonderful engine and very frugal on fuel. Unlike the Cayenne!

One does not JUST steal a Prado and somehow I doubt that your usual idiot car thief would know how to bypass all the factory security equipment. Get it fully insured and install the Lowjack tracker on it.

You will not regret buying a Prado.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast