New falafel /shawarma place in p.o.p

patrikim

May 5, 2004
It's behind the stadium on hermanas mirabal, on the corner across from "portofino"
where "la esquina de pacheko" was before.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Shawarma's were my "go to meal" while I worked in Kuwait for the past 8 years. This will definitely be on the "after hours" late night snack spots if they stay open late.

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
I hope the place is going to do well, we need something different, not only the fried to death chicken, terrible burgers and hot dogs, i mean a lot of restaurants cant even make a decent pasta or some grilled meat or chicken, serve horrible salads and sandwiches. I think I should open a restaurant, but with the increasing prices...........dont think so.

RIDDLER

Jan 30, 2009
I tried this place last Sat night and the food was great. The owner was there and made quite an effort to make me feel comfortable. It is a nice change from the regular menu offered in most places in POP. As a monthly traveler to POP this place is on my short list of places to eat from now on. The biggest problem that i can see for this place is trying to get the local crowd to try something new. They were open pretty late on Sat night but i'm not sure of the hours. And if you like spicy food you have to try the homemade hot sauce

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I must give it a try, is it located in the shack right across from Portofino's on the same side street? and what are the price's like?

patrikim

May 5, 2004
That's it !

exactly the place... prices should be moderate, no ? we're talking about falafel here, not foi gras....

Makedocreative

Dec 4, 2011
Is it Cafe Yasmin? If so, the falafel was great, totally authentic. A great relief from plantains and yuca for this vegetarian.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I must give it a try, is it located in the shack right across from Portofino's on the same side street? and what are the price's like?
I am going to need really good directions from Sosua to here. In POP I know where La Sirena is and that's it! Please! Love this kind of food....

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I am going to need really good directions from Sosua to here. In POP I know where La Sirena is and that's it! Please! Love this kind of food....
It's OK. Hardly worth a trip from Sos?a though. Very limited choice and not particularly cheap. I would eat there again, but I wouldn't travel 34 miles round trip to eat there again.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It is called Yasmins and has been posted about before. Food is good and not very expensive. I hope they do well

Bob K

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
It's OK. Hardly worth a trip from Sos?a though. Very limited choice and not particularly cheap. I would eat there again, but I wouldn't travel 34 miles round trip to eat there again.
OK, won't make a special trip. But when I go to La Sirena I would like to try it unless it's a long way from there??

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
OK, won't make a special trip. But when I go to La Sirena I would like to try it unless it's a long way from there??

Not far at all and actually along one route to get there. If you are coming from the east, take a right at that Palacio de Justicia and it will be on the right side about half way to the Malecon on the way to La Sirena's location. Let us know what you think, I was underwhelmed. Admittedly I am comparing it to similar style food I used to eat for lunch regularly while in California.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We have eaten there several times and have enjoyed the food. The tahini and other sauces are great.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I will try the place being an eternal optimist.

I think there could be a successful restaurant serving all the foods Americans miss that just are not being done (or done well) here. Hamburgers, pizza and Italian, those can be found.

But there is so much more, at least in my opinion. I have no desire to be in the restaurant business, but would be glad to teach someone to make the things I miss..... REAL Mexican food (chili verde, enchiladas, carnitas, chili rellano, flan), some Middle Eastern foods, prime rib with homemade horseradish, old fashioned American "comfort food" (chicken and dumplings, southern fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, meatloaf, chicken fried steak and gravy, deviled eggs, etc), desserts (rhubarb, cherry, pumpkin pies,cobblers, apple crisp, bread pudding, etc.) There is obviously more, but my point is I just don't want to be the cook anymore!! I expect others would share too......just need someone who thinks this is a viable business plan that would do it RIGHT. For example, I order "pancakes" and get what look like crepes, but I need a sharp knife to cut them! What I am looking for is a "short stack", if you know what I mean, with REAL maple syrup. And I am willing to pay for it!

OK, finished with my daydream.......guess I have to either do without or (heaven forbid) cook!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I think there could be a successful restaurant serving all the foods Americans miss that just are not being done (or done well) here. Hamburgers, pizza and Italian, those can be found.

But there is so much more, at least in my opinion. I have no desire to be in the restaurant business, but would be glad to teach someone to make the things I miss..... REAL Mexican food (chili verde, enchiladas, carnitas, chili rellano, flan), some Middle Eastern foods, prime rib with homemade horseradish, old fashioned American "comfort food" (chicken and dumplings, southern fried chicken, fried green tomatoes, meatloaf, chicken fried steak and gravy, deviled eggs, etc), desserts (rhubarb, cherry, pumpkin pies,cobblers, apple crisp, bread pudding, etc.) There is obviously more, but my point is I just don't want to be the cook anymore!! I expect others would share too......just need someone who thinks this is a viable business plan that would do it RIGHT. For example, I order "pancakes" and get what look like crepes, but I need a sharp knife to cut them! What I am looking for is a "short stack", if you know what I mean, with REAL maple syrup. And I am willing to pay for it!

OK, finished with my daydream.......guess I have to either do without or (heaven forbid) cook!

You took the words right out of my mouth and yes it is a HUGE daydream.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009

A bagel and lox or a corned beef on rye wouldn't hurt. Or for that matter, a Philly cheese steak sandwich or a boardwalk hot sausage sandwich. People think it is strange that when living in Sosua, these were the fantasies I had.