Anyone know what's going on at Playa Grande?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
Do any of the golfers who live in the DR know the status of the refurbishment at Playa Grande? I'm assuming it has now started but I could be wrong.

The reason I ask is this - last month, on our flight back home, we spoke with a gentleman who told us he was working on the project and that 9 holes will be closed. There are a number of us heading back down to Cabrera or Cabarete area in late Sept/early October and the guys want to golf, if possible.

I was wondering if there are 9 holes open, if the course is completely closed, etc. If indeed there are only 9 open, perhaps they're offering a reduced rate if you wanted to play the open nine twice, just to be able to play at that beautiful course? I've heard so much mixed information. I even sent an email to the course but haven't heard anything.

If anyone has any information they could share I'd appreciate it. They'll play a few rounds at Playa Dorada but would love to play Playa Grande if they could.

Thank you!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, back nine is closed for renovation work..... can't remember for how long.

Some front nine work to follow.

The idea is to keep some play going..... 9 holes at a time, but I do not know the rates.
You might try phoning the course.

I'm not there now, but get their e-mails about closings , etc.

Its my understanding that the back nine will be greatly changed, the front , not so much.

All this is to facilitate the development around and on the property.

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
William:

Thanks so much for the update. I would imagine they still want to draw some golfers in while renovating, but that it's a bit harder with just 9 open. I'll call them in a month or so and find out rates/how it's progressing.

You said you receive their emails about what's going on there? Is that something you can sign up for or is it something for members, etc. I don't remember seeing anything on their site about it.

Colleen

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, its my connection there with a local golf group..... not full public e-mails.

I trashed the last one with all the details b/c I'm not there just now.

I'll pass on the info in the future..... by posting any relevant things here.

Perhaps Queen Steve save the info.... he or his wife could pass it on.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
OK...OK..... will you give us the Playa Grande scoop ....por favor ??

BTW, I'm not a pseudo fan..... I flattened my neighbor's tires and burned his garbage ... I can riot too.:eek:gre:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
This Playa Grande project is very strange .. I used to go there several times a year and the course has progressively deteriorated and of course there is no hotel there now but some of it looks as if it was in mothballs , I was told last time that the new owners had purchased much more land than the original 18 holes and there were plans for 36 holes and for a housing project and that they would be offering membership ..but nothing seems to get going .It is in a great position between Cabrera and Rio San Juan and I believe that a small version of the original hotel would be well patronised .Another problem was that the actual beach Playa Grande was also closed and still maybe slosed ,,it was considered too dangerous

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
Kipling333 - we stopped by the beach a few weeks ago and it was definitely open and running as normal; all the food shacks were operating, etc. It is indeed rough and dangerous for swimming, but personally I think it's one of the prettiest beaches in the area. The day we were there a gentleman had to be pulled out of the water by some surfers as he had been tossed around pretty bad and was well on his way to drowning when they spotted him.

Also, from what I understand, that home, built in what I would call Arabian style for lack of a better description, along the road near Rio San Juan, has been turned into a hotel and it's called The Palace at Playa Grande. Have no idea if it has anything to do with the owners of the course or not, but somewhere I came across an article or something about it. I do remember reading that it is a "13 room luxury resort" and that guests enjoy free golf or something. Maybe they've purchased that land? I will try to find the link. The other hotel, on the opposite side of the road is still closed up and needs a total renovation.

I am glad to hear the course is being redone though. It would really be a shame if they let that go to the dogs.

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Palace?

Maybe my memory fails me but this was a derelict last time I drove by. Nice bones tho. Maybe with playa grande development they can resurrect it?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, the beach is open and the shacks operating, but less shacks.
The new investors bought and closed several shacks.

The Palace has no connection to the new project, but is a type of upscale bed & breakfast, I hear.

The new project, with a reported strong economic base is this :
Playa Grande Club & Reserve - Dominican Republic

There is no definitive answer at present for the future of "public" golf..... we'll see.

Villas will be on the property adjoining the course..... one is mostly completed at the 2nd tee.

News is scarce and infrequent, but the pace is definitely picking up.

Bklynny

Jan 29, 2009
mrsmangu.com
William:

That's good to hear. Definitely a step in the right direction.

If anyone does hear any updates on the course over the next few months I would really appreciate it if you could post it for the rest of us.

Colleen

Massielg

Apr 30, 2008
www.casasdevacacionesrd.blogspot.com
Do any of the golfers who live in the DR know the status of the refurbishment at Playa Grande? I'm assuming it has now started but I could be wrong.

The reason I ask is this - last month, on our flight back home, we spoke with a gentleman who told us he was working on the project and that 9 holes will be closed. There are a number of us heading back down to Cabrera or Cabarete area in late Sept/early October and the guys want to golf, if possible.

I was wondering if there are 9 holes open, if the course is completely closed, etc. If indeed there are only 9 open, perhaps they're offering a reduced rate if you wanted to play the open nine twice, just to be able to play at that beautiful course? I've heard so much mixed information. I even sent an email to the course but haven't heard anything.

If anyone has any information they could share I'd appreciate it. They'll play a few rounds at Playa Dorada but would love to play Playa Grande if they could.

Thank you!

Playa Grande Golf Course is in full operation and it will be at least until this coming fall. Feel free to request your tee times!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
JULY 14, 2011

We hear today that the latest news is for a September closure of the back nine while work begins on the project.
Always a moving target....

Course was good today.... many workers.
They seem to have more $$$$ available for maintenance.... :))

No further news..

Status
Not open for further replies.