Job Hunting

Lillie

Jun 17, 2011
My family and I moved here 6 months ago and we are financially solvent but i would like to find work so I can really get to know the pulse of the people and the country. I would like to know any suggestions as to what i might do. I was a realtor for 20 years and I have worked in mortgages and finance for 10 years. I have also been the food and beverage director at a major hotel chain......I am not looking for anything major but I would love to get out and about with people. I am extremely outgoing. My husband is an engineer and we love it here and we have put down roots....

I am presently taking spanish lessons but looking definitely for employment that requires english.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Welcome to DR1 Lillie. What part of the country are you living????? It will make a difference on our suggestions.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
You can get a job doing tech support in a call center without issue.

Call center jobs are 100-125 pesos an hour (from what I've seen). Your job would be entirely English based. (assume 18000 a month)

Obviously you may not view this as a classy job, but you will certainly meet a WIDE variety of people from different backgrounds and lifestyles to connect with.

Sounds like you are more interested in that, then the money and you can do the job blindfolded if you put in a modicum of effort :)

Lillie

Jun 17, 2011
Thanks Jeff, that's exactly what I want to do, meet people......where do I go, who do I contact? Is a resume necessary or a work permit? I am there!!!

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
:)

I work with a company called Stream (Default | Stream Global Services). If you would like, please review the site to see if it's your thing, and you can email me your resume (I will PM you my email) and I will get you in :)

You can submit a resume in the style you are used to and no work permit is required, simply a passport.

If you have questions, just ask!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
:)

I work with a company called Stream (Default | Stream Global Services). If you would like, please review the site to see if it's your thing, and you can email me your resume (I will PM you my email) and I will get you in :)

You can submit a resume in the style you are used to and no work permit is required, simply a passport.

If you have questions, just ask!

How do you avoid Dominican labor laws by allowing people that are not even residents to work?

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I don't know what the law says.

I know that Stream is a huge multinational corporation though, and I'm confident things happen "above board" so to speak. I certainly have heard horror stories about other (typically small) call centers here though. Its hard for stream to go unnoticed with 1500 employees in three sites in SD :)

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I can tell you what the law says - you need either a cedula or a work visa. Everything else is illegal.Many companies do this. They get away with it by paying "propinas" to the inspectors.

The risk is if something happens. An unregistered employee (TSS registration) is not covered by the gov't mandatory insurance and other benefits. AS such if something happens the owners and directors of the corporation are on the hook. THere are severe penalties in place if something happens.

Illegal employees have all the rights under the Dominican labor code. The company takes all the risk.

To the OP, get your residencia and then you can work legally. IF you find a company to hire you without the cedula - no worries for you, you are protected.

hecticmedic

Jun 17, 2011
Hi
I am a critical care paramedic in the states and am seeking employment in DR. I am having a hard time finding advertisements because they are all in spanish. Any suggestions on how to find hospital, clinic, ambulance jobs ?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Yup this is a spanish speaking country so that is why the ads are that way..... Seriously how do you do your job in a spanish speaking country without speaking the language?????

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hi
I am a critical care paramedic in the states and am seeking employment in DR. I am having a hard time finding advertisements because they are all in spanish. Any suggestions on how to find hospital, clinic, ambulance jobs ?

Think of it this way, would you want someone treating you in a critical situation if you don't speak their language?

Jan 22, 2010
@ Hecticmedic.....if you import an ambulance you could maybe work and drive the ambulance for 100US monthly

Good luck with it

T.E.

SDF123

May 19, 2008
Getting around not having a Cedula or Work Permit

Good afternoon! My understanding is that Stream and the other call centers get around this not by paying bribes but through the Free Zone rules. Even though Stream's main office is not in a Free Zone they are still considered a Free Zone company. I know this is how my company got around it and still does and we don't pay bribes for that.

Jeff's Idea is great! Another suggestion is to teach English! I loved this and I found that I came into contact with a better range of people but teach English will pay less but it give you much more flexibility.

Hope you and your family Have a great stay in SDQ! It grows on you!

Steven

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
This is not correct, being a Free Trade Zone company does not allow you to hire illegal employees! If that was true the Free Trade Zones would be full of companies!