About renewing cedula in nyc

bella0728

Jun 17, 2011
Hi every1 this is my 1st time posting here, with that said, let me get to my question. My Husband and I live in NYC, he was born in the Dominican Republic but has been a U.S. citizen well over 8 years and has lived here for about 16. In any case, He has a cedula and mainly for the purpose of having an account in DR, which we do. Well he, since I was born in the U.S.(do have dominican family however but no cedula and im not well informed of the rules/laws neither is he) He needs to renew the cedula or else according to the bank they will freeze the account. Rumor has it he NEEDS TO GO 2 DR TO RENEW IT. Is this true? Or can he renew it here IN THE NYC DOMINICAN CONSULATE?? PLEASEEE HELP SOME1 THANKSS!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Welcome to the board. Being new, you wouldn't have known that you only need to post once, Unless you want the attorney that answers questions on the board, it doesn't make much difference because board regulars check all new posts no matter where they are.

But to get input from the lawyer, it needs to be in the legal section.

bella0728

Jun 17, 2011
If you dont mind me asking, is there an option to be notified by E-mail when someone answers my post? Thnx!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, you have to check. If somebody sends you a PM (private message) you get notified, but for posts, no.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Thanks Reese, will contact them 2morrow! Or on Next business day.=)

The above phone is for the Dominican Embassy at Washington, DC

I believe you need the Dominican Consulate in New York
Address: 1501 New Broadway Ave., Suite 410
New York, NY 10036
Phone: (212) 768-2480,81,82,83

Most countries administrative stuff is done at consulates/interest sections vice embassies. Additionally, it is best if you contact your local/nearest consulate as "procedures/requirements" can vary greatly between consulates (left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing)

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Correction, the address is 1501 Broadway (also known as the Paramount Building)- between west 43 and 44th streets. The embassy website is incorrect

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The basic issue does not make sense. All he needs to have for his bank account is a c?dula number or a passport (US)...Something is kind of funny here. In all my 50 years here, after opening an account, I have never been asked for a c?dula!.Except if I am cashing a check, and at one time my c?dula was two years overdue....and nothing mattered

If you want a c?dula, it will cost a lot of money, and for him to renew a c?dula in the states at any consulate it will cost a LOT!

You do not need it to fly or to enter the DR, your US passports are fine. His says he was born here so he does not need a tourist Card, but you do..All you would save by having a Dominican passport (which would cost you maybe $300-$600 to get, would be the $10 Tourist Card!

So, unless you enjoy spending money to be abused by money sucking, ignorant bureaucrats, don't even go neat that consulate.

HB

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If you dont mind me asking, is there an option to be notified by E-mail when someone answers my post? Thnx!
Yes, look at the top of this thread and you will see "Thread Tools". Click that and subscribe to this thread to be notified by email when someone posts a reply.

bella0728

Jun 17, 2011
I appreciate the info Hillbilly, "since the basic issue did not make sense" to begin with, that is why we were seeking help. In any case, the bank account was opened with a cedula, and the issue was actually other than I originally stated, but that is besides the main point. Just wanted info on how to renew it, (which we already found out it could be done here in NYC) and does not cost all that much. Considering we travel almost every year to D.R. for leisure purposes, with our U.S. passports, we are well familiar with the fact that our family, except The dominican born Husband are required to pay those 10 Bucks!! HAHA. Si uno se deja llevar por la gente le quitan hasta lo que uno NO tiene. Haha. Thanks HB, & take care!