paraplegic needs short term rental

bvz

Jun 18, 2011
I am planning on staying in the DR for four or five weeks this summer. I need to find a rental that will accommodate my wheelchair. Most important is no steps from street/walkway and a full working bathroom. I am planning on using the time to explore the country for possible long term move. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 25, 2008
what part of the island are you planning to stay? I would guess your not staying at a resort.
Understand this, you will find NO clear sidewalk to use [always clutter with street vendors selling from roasted pig to oranges], the DR has no ramps to go up or down public sidewalks; it does not exist here [some odds and ends]. Unless you move into a private, gated residential area which would be no more than 2 streets and also if they took that into consideration.
You have to adapt to the politics of a third world country.
good luck

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I know of two different men in your situation that would stay in Sosua, one for several months. I would often see the one wheeling around town on the streets and he never indicated that he had any real problems and could “jump” the curbs pretty much on his own. People are always around and would lend a hand. I think that he did get one of those orange flags to give a little more visibility while wheeling around.

He was staying at Eddy’s place when Eddy still owned it. I don’t think it is open anymore but perhaps Eddy could fill you in on how the guy did and any obstacles that he had problems with. (Eddy is a long time resident and poster.)

My father-in-law, in the States, was a paraplegic. Like the man above, not much stopped him. I'm sure with some planning you could have a good time. It appears that you already have the right attitude.

Good luck. Ringo

bvz

Jun 18, 2011
I know of two different men in your situation that would stay in Sosua, one for several months. I would often see the one wheeling around town on the streets and he never indicated that he had any real problems and could “jump” the curbs pretty much on his own. People are always around and would lend a hand. I think that he did get one of those orange flags to give a little more visibility while wheeling around.

He was staying at Eddy’s place when Eddy still owned it. I don’t think it is open anymore but perhaps Eddy could fill you in on how the guy did and any obstacles that he had problems with. (Eddy is a long time resident and poster.)

My father-in-law, in the States, was a paraplegic. Like the man above, not much stopped him. I'm sure with some planning you could have a good time. It appears that you already have the right attitude.

Good luck. Ringo

thank you for the words of encouragement Ringo. what kind of a place was Eddy's? how would i get in touch with him?

Brent

bvz

Jun 18, 2011
what part of the island are you planning to stay? I would guess your not staying at a resort.
Understand this, you will find NO clear sidewalk to use [always clutter with street vendors selling from roasted pig to oranges], the DR has no ramps to go up or down public sidewalks; it does not exist here [some odds and ends]. Unless you move into a private, gated residential area which would be no more than 2 streets and also if they took that into consideration.
You have to adapt to the politics of a third world country.
good luck

thank you for the reply. i like the idea of a gated community but a single level in a nice neighborhood will work. a guest house would be ideal because i don't need much room.
i have traveled throughout mexico so i have some idea what to expect. i am planning on hiring a driver for this trip.

any thoughts on where to look or who to talk to?

Brent

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I m assuming in a big city right? Because other than that, you will be hard pressed to mobilize yourself, due to lack of curb cuts, general street disrepair. And in the rain? Many streets flood because of clogged or poor drainage. Other issues are electricity, if you require an elevator to get to your pad, you will need a building with a generator. Probably need a 1st floor place. Then I am not sure about the dimensions for the front doors and bathroom if you could get in with your chair. How much can you spend?

Another issue is how will you get around the country? There arent any wheelchair accessible buses and many of the smaller bus lines are packed tight with passengers most times. That will be a logistical issue for you unless you are going to buy your own car and you will need to buy a guagua, like a conversion van in the US, and have an iron man construct you a ramp.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

Good luck. Ringo
Yea, at Eddy's I had 2 rooms that could be consideref "adapted" But since I sold the place, the new owners no longer rent. JC & Richard, stay at Romanoff now and Blacky from Austria has moved on to another place. I don't know where. The OP's best bet would be to rent ar Romanoff for a few days and look around. A few businesses in town have ramps and oversize bathrooms. J.C. would be more than willing to help finding a place if he wants to move.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
thank you for the reply. i like the idea of a gated community but a single level in a nice neighborhood will work. a guest house would be ideal because i don't need much room.
i have traveled throughout mexico so i have some idea what to expect. i am planning on hiring a driver for this trip.

any thoughts on where to look or who to talk to?

Brent

Check out my post above. Also know a taxi driver that will probably help you travel at a reasonable price. He has a van. the same as the one I had when I was in a chair,