Study shows major deficiencies in teachers

Johnny Bahama

Jun 6, 2011
Does anyone know which private schools this news article below refers to? I am searching for the best school in Santo Domingo for my 5 year old and would like to know which private schools to avoid.

Article below:

A recent study carried out by the National Institute of Elementary Education (INEDI) testing teachers from first to fifth grade in public and private schools revealed major flaws in the educational levels of teachers. As reported in Listin Diario, only 31% of teachers who participated in the research had the minimum required levels.

Major deficiencies were found in the spelling standards of the sample of 100 teachers tested. 88.6% made serious spelling errors and did not pronounce all the consonants when speaking.

Inedi director Rosa Riza said the study was carried out on the assumption that children are reproducing what their teachers are teaching them. "We understand that teacher training colleges as well as school principals need to tackle this situation and train primary school teachers so that they can achieve minimum levels of reading, pronunciation and writing Spanish correctly," she said.

The study was held during a two-day workshop attended by 96 elementary teachers from three public schools and three private schools.

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
What can one expect when they only pay teachers around 5000p for the first 5 years and then fire them so thery don't have to pay them more.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What can one expect when they only pay teachers around 5000p for the first 5 years and then fire them so thery don't have to pay them more.
What would that have to do with the lack of training the teacher has. Got any facts to back up up your story. I know different.

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Teachers in the DR are "political appointees" ? i.e., girlfriends or primas that replace someone else that could at least spell.
Then it's just social day care and "teachers' meetings" a few hours a day.
Any wonder?

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
What would that have to do with the lack of training the teacher has. Got any facts to back up up your story. I know different.

In general, if you want to attract good people to any profession you need to compensate them for their time invested in education and or training etc. I know two teachers. And through them I have met a few more. Now I don't know if they are good teachers or bad but they seem to speak well ( realize its hard to say for sure because my spanish is far from perfect ) and their writing skills seem pretty good compared to what I have seen. But at least where they live in the north west this seems to be the norm. I can't speak for other parts of the country so it may be different else where.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"All I know is this:"
My father in law had an 8th grade education from way way back when. He became a surveyor on his own. He tutored other children. He worked all his life, starting when he was very young.

He had a better handwriting (caligraf?a), better grammar and syntax (ortograf?a) and a huge vocabulary (vocabulario) that was so far beyond any highschooler I have seen in 50 years, with perhaps 10 notable exceptions (and that might be an overestimate).

Today's students cannot even read exams I gave my students ten years ago, much less fathom them.

And the comment that these teachers are "someone's" queridas, might be quite unfair...For over 8 years I taught teachers in training in POP, Santiago and Bonao...some turned out to be fantastic teachers like Ms Granados or Francia or Nelly....others??

Oh well...the pay is so pi$$poor that there are few if any incentives, there are not even incentives to give of themselves, to give what so many teachers in the States and China and Japan and Europe do: give of themselves to see their children get ahead. Here, as was said above, this is just glorified day care.

A guy I know self-taught himself so well that he was giving the computer class in high school, not the teacher, who was out of it!

HB

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
only 36% reached minimum standards. i wonder what percentage reached acceptable standards. education in the DR is a lost cause. save the 4%....it will only serve to buy more jeepetas for government functionaries. the problems are so ingrained, all the tea in china will not solve the problem.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
well, Johhny, when you come from a wealthy family, and daddy can afford to send you to Carol Morgan, then you can get a decent shot at the future. otherwise, get some brochures, and decide which brand of motorcycle is best suited for concho duty.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
well, Johhny, when you come from a wealthy family, and daddy can afford to send you to Carol Morgan, then you can get a decent shot at the future. otherwise, get some brochures, and decide which brand of motorcycle is best suited for concho duty.
This is also unfair.

In the interest of full disclosure I am the daughter of a retired teacher (principal when she retired). My mom had about 10 years of university education, paid with her own money. The pay was so poor that my dad called it "a glorified hobby".

With that out of the way, whereas before "maestro" was a very respected profession, nowadays the pay is so pathetic that it would be hard to find somebody willing to invest into that level of education with the hope of landing a job at a public school.

I graduated in 1987 from a Catholic school, it started as private but later turned into a "public but restricted" school. Virtually all of my classmates went on to pursue university education. Some are successful professionals local and abroad, at least one is teaching in a foreign university. A lot of us speak passable to excellent English and/or French (a lot of us got extra classes outside school, I, and many of my classmates attended Alliance Fran?aise in the afternoons).

Reading what my old classmates post on Facebook, versus what younger kids post, leads me to believe that my school must have done something right. Not bad since I got my high school education almost for free.

So yeah, there are good public schools and school teachers. And Carol Morgan is not the only good private school here. It wouldn't be my first choice either.

Last edited:

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com

I REALLY hope you are joking, because that is such a slap in the face to many Dominicans that have lived their entire lives here, and are "properly" educated. You do not have to be wealthy, there IS a middle-class in this country that does very well for itself.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Since I have seen several people that attended elite private schools write: 'Mira haber' instead of 'mira a ver' and 'hay, que problema' instead of 'ay, que problema' I don't trust those schools either.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Since I have seen several people that attended elite private schools write: 'Mira haber' instead of 'mira a ver' and 'hay, que problema' instead of 'ay, que problema' I don't trust those schools either.
your right, but its important to understand that while the school system may effect how some people right, even some people who attended the fine public schools in the us, uk and canada. like such as some people on this same message board whom you would of thought would be better at spelling and conveying ideas.

OK, excuse me while I go bleach my brain. Typing that was painful.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I REALLY hope you are joking, because that is such a slap in the face to many Dominicans that have lived their entire lives here, and are "properly" educated. You do not have to be wealthy, there IS a middle-class in this country that does very well for itself.

I dispute that. The middle class, what exists of it does so at the leisure of the wealthy class who need people to do "the little things" for them. 90% are poor, 9% are economically stable and 1% are wealthy.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I dispute that. The middle class, what exists of it does so at the leisure of the wealthy class who need people to do "the little things" for them. 90% are poor, 9% are economically stable and 1% are wealthy.
I find your statistics, er... "interesting". Perhaps you could share their provenance.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Screw the double speak. Where do you think the "jepeta mentality" came from? And why is there no real incentive for betterment from within? That is why the teachers are almost as illiterate as the conchos. You are who you know and what you have. And literacy plays a small part in that.

I have a "college educated" friend who is a lawyer works for the justice of the peace for the AMET Bureau in Santiago. Cronyism is how she got her job by being affiliated with the party who is presently in power. She told me yesterday that after the upcoming elections she will be out of a job if her party doesnt win. There you have it. A Civil servant who has to leave her job so another patronage appointee can fill the position, if her party doesnt win. You wont ever get any progess with that because politics has devolved into a game of checkers.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Educate me, please.

Perhaps you would like to use the Kyl Defense on those statistics. :)

RacerX often speaks out of his back end like he knows what's he's talking about but never backs anything up with facts. He has determined that the best defense is an offence, and offensive he can be.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Educate me, please.

Perhaps you would like to use the Kyl Defense on those statistics. :)

Prove me wrong. Use your government data which has been drastically redacted to promote the image that the country is more developed than it is. But if it were, "why cant Johnny read?" And "why cant Maria write? Using the appropriate letters for the task at hand." Maybe you can find a Pichardo link to equate subway track length to academic achievement?
Middle class people tend to make substantial investments in education. If so, they why can you name only one school, Carol Morgan? And the rest are coin toss? What does that mean? That means by consensus, most people dont trust anything about these other private schools apart from the edifice.

To return to my original comment from Jeff, I dispute there is a viable, dynamically sustainable middle class in the Dominican Republic.

A bob is a fake Native American, Jesuit belly dancer who must have cataracts which is why he spends so much time wearing the rose-colored glasses.