Se?ores advice on Punta Cana hotels please

prospero

Oct 6, 2009
Dear friends,

My fantastic, wonderful, love-of-my-life girlfriend is coming to visit me in August. In my excitement I'm already looking into hotels, expeditions up Pico Duarte (if it doesn't rain), secret beaches, cool river-jumping like Damajagua, and that sort of thing. She's coming in through the Punta Cana airport, so that's where we'll be staying for a bit.

I've been trying to find a nice hotel in Punta Cana that isn't extremely touristy. Not a resort, but a cool place where one can be comfortable in without the grating sound of faffing, ogling, tourists.... with children. Is there such a place?

I asked a few friends, and they all recommended the Sivory very highly. After checking the prices on the website, I'm seriously considering getting into business with some of my friends. Far too expensive.

Is there any nice low-key, relaxed place where one could stay two nights and have both peace of mind and happiness?

Thank you in advance for your help!

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Puntacana Resort & Club might suit your needs. 10 minutes south of the airport.
Luxury Hotel Rooms and Suites in Punta Cana
It's small, quiet and low key (no noisy tourists or loud music) and it has some of the best private beaches in the area. No beach vendors, no crowds - you will likely find large stretches of beach with no one on them. Plus, apart from Cap Cana, it's the only place where it's 100% safe to walk the beach at night.
There are also crystal clear, freshwater lagoons to swim in. You can hire a golf cart or a bicycle to explore the grounds and the more deserted beaches.
Rooms in August are from $US 96 per person + tax ($US 242 total for 2 nights) It's not all inclusive so meals and drinks will be extra (drinks are around $US 5-9). They have some very good restaurants on their grounds (La Yola can't be beat for a romantic meal, around $US 50+ per head) and there's a free shuttle to Puntacana Village opposite the airport where there are more restaurants, a Nacional supermarket and a few fast food places.

There is also Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana which is adults only all inclusive (no sister resort next door - it's the only hotel on that stretch of beach) Secrets Sanctuary Cap Cana

Or Catalonia Royal Bavaro Hoteles Catalonia which is the adults only part of the Catalonia resorts, busier hotel and area than the 2 mentioned above.

Secrets Royal Beach Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana | Home adults only section shared facilities with NOW Larimar, on busy Bavaro beach. Might find some deals at this one in August.

Feb 7, 2007
Punta Cana Resort and Club, bed and breakfast for one night is about 60 US dollars per person per night, half board about 125 dollars PPPN and full board about 180 dollars PPN.

You can also check out the new Golden Bear Lodge in CapCana, rates are about 110 US dollars PPPN.

You can also check out El Cortecito Inn, bed and breakfast is about 33 US dollars PPPN, half board about 50 US dollars PPPN and full board about 75 US dollars PPPN.

Also check out Stanza Mare serviced residences from Coral, they go for about 160 dollars per night per unit.

The prices quoted are final rates with all taxes included that are being charged for the month of August, so you should not pay more than that.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
good posts. Quick question though... is it usual for hotels in the D.R. that are NOT all inclusive, (no food / bevs) to charge per person? Usually hotel rates are double occupancy, with maybe a charge for more than two in a room. Other than the obvious, (to make more money), why would a hotel charge double for a room being occupied by two people than if the same room were occupied by one? A couple of extra towels? A few gallons of non-potable water???? At that point I'd book two rooms just for spite! LOL

DottyB

Jan 15, 2011
If you are going to be staying in Punta Cana for more than just a couple days, you may want to check into renting a condo. There are many nice condos in the area, some rent by the night, but many have a 5-day minimum.