Anyone know how much it is to have a baby in santo domingo please

Status
Not open for further replies.

DESH1979

Jun 19, 2011
Does anyone know how much it will cost me to have my baby in santo domingo, i have not got insurance baby due in october and i am not getting married till september this year. Hope someone can give me some advice. thanks

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
even still, worse come to worse. You could hop a commuter flight to Porto Rico and deliver there.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Natural delivery or c-section? Have you picked a doctor/clinic? That makes a big difference.

I wanted to give birth at an "alternative" clinic in Santo Domingo that was not covered by my insurance. In the end what we had planned as a natural birth (I took my classes and everything) turned into an emergency c-section (large baby that did not turn, pre-eclampsia). I arrived at the clinic 1PM and was home noon the next day. It cost less than 30K pesos in 2005. We thought it was totally worth it.

DESH1979

Jun 19, 2011
Hi i have had all my scans done in the uk. I was hoping for a natural delivery but just incase anything goes wrong a c section. i am just getting worried about the money now. I have looked a few clinics but none of them gave me a price they keep saying that i have to wait till nearer the time before they will tell me how much it will be.So now i am panicing that i will be in labour and they wont touch me else i pay something stupid money wise. my insurance was registed late so they are not covering any costs

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
I agree with PIB.

Your choice of OB/GYN will determine a lot of the costs with the specific clinic, etc. Usually, the OB/GYN can estimate the costs for you at their clinic. For a frame of reference, my last child was born in 2006 at Union Medico in Santiago for an approximate cost of $1000 usd. That was for a c-section and three day stay in a private room. I would guess that would still be about the same price today. So the variables are the OB/GYN, the clinic, type of delivery and type of room in the clinic. But I would guess, based on PIB's cost and ours, that you would be ok with an estimate of $1000 usd.

Remember to prepare a little "kit" of sheets, towels, comfortable clothes, etc. ready to bring with you to the clinic.

Best of luck to you and congratulations to you and your family.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Now as money matters

Does anyone know how much it will cost me to have my baby in santo domingo, i have not got insurance baby due in october and i am not getting married till september this year.

Why in Santo Domingo?
Does the British NHS not provide free health care?

donP

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
listen, my daughter was born last week in santo domingo.you can have your girl go to maternidad de la se_ora altagracia in santo domingo.my wife had a c-section and 3 days in the hospital.total cost with a pack of huggies was 1,500 pesos.nothing more.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
listen, my daughter was born last week in santo domingo.you can have your girl go to maternidad de la se_ora altagracia in santo domingo.my wife had a c-section and 3 days in the hospital.total cost with a pack of huggies was 1,500 pesos.nothing more.

This is spot on information, up to date. I will just add if you need blood then it is an extra RD$1000. Apart from that as he says!!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

WTH?? You put money over your daughter wellbeing and piece of mind of being treated well in a good clinic...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Anybody with a bit of common sense won't take their wife or anybody else for that matter give birth to Maternidad La Altagracia, specially if you CAN afford something better. Is your wife/girlfriend and daughter well being we are talking about here.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Anybody with a bit of common sense won't take their wife or anybody else for that matter give birth to Maternidad La Altagracia, specially if you CAN afford something better. Is your wife/girlfriend and daughter well being we are talking about here.

And if there is insufficient funds to go private?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
1500rd to have a baby, and 3 days in the hospital without insurance??? I wouldn't dare....
No wonder mortality rates are so high

SHALENA

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
We paid RD$1,500 and our daughter is fine, along with several million others who live like average Dominicans. Your average Dominican can't really afford private clinics unfortunately, neither could we on low salaries. I think our Dominican lifestyles are a little different though, must be nice to never worry about finances. If they made the costs any higher there would be a lot of people unable to pay these bills and therefore held in the hospital for a long time, it makes sense to make the costs fit the people so as not to clog up the hospitals, don't you think!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
We paid RD$1,500 and our daughter is fine, along with several million others who live like average Dominicans. Your average Dominican can't really afford private clinics unfortunately, neither could we on low salaries. I think our Dominican lifestyles are a little different though, must be nice to never worry about finances. If they made the costs any higher there would be a lot of people unable to pay these bills and therefore held in the hospital for a long time, it makes sense to make the costs fit the people so as not to clog up the hospitals, don't you think!
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Is this just the hospital cost, just the doctor cost.....I don't care if a million Dominicans and their grandmothers had babies there....there is NO way that these women are getting care of a decent standard when even IV antibiotics itself cost almost that much. They have to be reusing supplies such as gloves, IV tubing, etc. (which I have seen done in the public hospital in Santiago). Unless, sometimes they make up their costs by quantity instead of quality, so if they ate birthing like 1000 babies a day then they can cut costs but really??? I don't know the exchange rate but that is like $50 US right???
These docs are putting their hands in your woman's vagina for God's sake, they will resuscitate a baby if need be...resuscitation equipment costs a lot more than 1500rd.
Some people....I'm soooooo glad that your wife did well and did not have any complications. These types of hospitals are why women and babies DIE from easilyreversible complications.
And I worry about money too, but my thought is....
If you can't afford more than $50 to pay a decent hospital to ensure the safety of your wife and baby, should you really be having kids??

SHALENA

P.S.
I am glad that your daughter is fine....
I have seen 30week (gestational age) premature babies leave ICU just fine, does that mean we should let women have their babies at 30 weeks?!?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

OMG....I just missed the fact that you wrote C/S....OMG, I have tachycardia right now.

SHALENA

Status
Not open for further replies.