cost giving birth in santo domingo

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I was told in Noviembre when my friend had a C-section at Clinica Materna en Santiago it was about 30K pesos. I m not sure if it was covered by insurance or not. But vaginal deliveries are cheaper than C-sections but most women prefer the C section. She was paying for the C-section not general delivery.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Not only the women prefer C-Sections but the doctors push them. It means more money for them and who ever heard of an Ob doc who gets up at night to deliver a baby or even worse has to spend 5 hours in the hospital with a patient in labor who may be having a hard time. I mean come on Section at 11am and back to the office at 1PM to see patients.

Bob K

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Not only the women prefer C-Sections but the doctors push them. It means more money for them and who ever heard of an Ob doc who gets up at night to deliver a baby or even worse has to spend 5 hours in the hospital with a patient in labor who may be having a hard time. I mean come on Section at 11am and back to the office at 1PM to see patients.

Bob K
That's why they need some f*cking Midwives or WHNPs....you're a doctor for God's sake (not you specifically Bob). Remember "First, do no harm"???
This is why thousands of women DIE every year in DR of maternal infection, a 100% preventable issue. Geez, I mean hire a qualified nurse to suppport the woman in labor, she calls you when its time to push and voila!! You show up deliver the baby, and go back to the office while the nurse recovers the patient.
It's not rocket science.......

SHALENA

Sorry, OP, I definitely don't want to hijack tour thread, just pi$$es me off that women die unnecessarily for doctor convenience or inexperience.
I am not sure the cost of delivery but please if your situation warrants, opt for a vaginal delivery. It is much safer for you and your baby. If your doctor is telling you something different you may PM me, tell me the situation and I will give you my best advice. Good Luck!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
100% agree, Shalena - women here would benefit so much from midwives, better trained nurses and doctors who put their patients' best interests above their convenience.

One Santo Domingo gynaecologist who does have that approach and only performs C-sections when really necessary is Jenny Garc?a 809 412 8212 Centro Atabey, Calle Socorro S?nchez, Gazcue.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I was in the wrong forum, it was meant for the other similar one.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I asked earlier in a post here what Nationality the OP was and it was erased. Why? If she is Dominican she can get the baby delivered virtually free if she knows where to go.

Who deleted this????

OP indicated that they were British

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004

Bob K

I don't know what women in her right mind would 'WANT' a C-Section...

I've had one kid and my experience was HORRIBLE.

My son was almost 11 lbs at birth, I was induced and he wasn't coming out, after 16 hours doctors said I needed a emergency C-Section, was put to sleep and from what I was told afterwards I almost didn't wake up because my blood pressure dropped drastically.

Granted this was in Canada, not in the DR but I can only imagine what would've happened if I delivered there...

I can see why SKing is mad about this... if I had a choice i would've definatley done natural... women should use C-Sections as a last resort...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My wife gave birth in February. In total we paid (without insurance) 205,000 pesos. Breakdown:

gynaecologist: 85,000
pediatrician: 40,000
anesthetist: 25,000 (if i remember well.)
clinic (including 1 night): the remainder.

Gynaecologist was not at all pushing for a C-section. Our son was 10 lbs but he didnt even suggest to go for c-section. Because of being big, our son had to be supervised the first night, which caused the pediatrician to charge 40k instead of 30k.

Yes, a lot of money (and we entered too late in our insurance to get anything covered) but the care was excellent.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If the OP is British, it's cheaper to fly home and have it there - that's what I ended up doing.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
One Santo Domingo gynaecologist who does have that approach and only performs C-sections when really necessary is Jenny Garc?a 809 412 8212 Centro Atabey, Calle Socorro S?nchez, Gazcue.

This was I posted in the other thread, my doctor was Jenny Garcia. :)

Natural delivery or c-section? Have you picked a doctor/clinic? That makes a big difference.

I wanted to give birth at an "alternative" clinic in Santo Domingo that was not covered by my insurance. In the end what we had planned as a natural birth (I took my classes and everything) turned into an emergency c-section (11.5 lb-baby that did not turn, pre-eclampsia). I arrived at the clinic 1PM and was home noon the next day. It cost less than 30K pesos in 2005. We thought it was totally worth it.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Inflation has really hit the hospitals. My 7 year old was born in PP Hospital and the bill was low. The exchange was way different then but I remember it as around $400 USD. I wasn't there at the hospital until it was over so no extra charge for Gringo.

DESH1979

Jun 19, 2011
Thank you so much for the information much appreciated,yes i too have entered the insurance too late, and now panicing that i may not have enough money

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
A lot of it depends on the clinic of course. According to my sister (a doctor) the price at a regular clinic would be about 35-40k assuming everything went well with no complications. This is for C-section delivery and 1 or two nights in private room. The price at a top rated place such as Hospiten (where she works) would be more on the 100k+ range for around the same type of service. If at all possible get insurance which is relatively inexpensive and will cover most of the expenses.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
A lot of it depends on the clinic of course. According to my sister (a doctor) the price at a regular clinic would be about 35-40k assuming everything went well with no complications. This is for C-section delivery and 1 or two nights in private room. The price at a top rated place such as Hospiten (where she works) would be more on the 100k+ range for around the same type of service. If at all possible get insurance which is relatively inexpensive and will cover most of the expenses.
Insurance will not help her now. There is a 3-month waiting period before the coverage for pregnancy kicks in, and that is if there was no pregnancy prior to the ending of the waiting period.

BTW, I had surgery at Hospiten SD last year, I also see some doctors there. Nice hospital.

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
my wife is dominican and the baby is due next month.from what all my friends from the church told me is childbirth is roughly 30,000 pesos. u need to talk to ur insurance company and see what is covered.i have blue cross from u.s. and they have about 5 hospitals in santo domingo that they have done business with that will accept a claim.1st thing was if i was married to her.next you have to call them when your going in the hospital on their 800 line.the hospital has to write up a reciept w/ all the details and procedures what doctors and how much each procedure costs.
we decide she will give birth in a clinic w the one night stay in andres where shes comfortable and her,her sisters,and mom gave birth before also.roughly 300 u.s.

DESH1979

Jun 19, 2011
i live in Boca Chica just now and i was told to go santo domingo as i would get better care, San Andres is much closer to me.I did not like the public hospital in Boca chica when i went to see it.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Wow $85,000 (approx $2,200 USD) pesos for delivery (doc fee). I practiced in the wrong country. In the US for complete care including pre-natal, delivery (vag or C/section) and 6 weeks of Post Partum care we collected begween $900=$1500 for the wole thing.

Bob K