Volunteer Please

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
I have not been able to post for a while as I have been traveling & working BUT the kids at the Orpahange are still there. The garden is coming along well and we did another Birthday party this past Saturday for three of the kids. But the reason i am posting this is that last week when I was there doing a regular goof around day I asked the kids to write a line on a sheet of papar as a get well card for Yanely the UTESA student who is the only other regular volunteer. I found out accidentally that one of the 9 year old boys cannot read or write. I cannot do what he needs done. Is there anyone iin the Santiago area who could help him? Think of it as self defense because if he cannot read or write somebody is going to be victimized by him in the future. He is a very nice boy who is cheerful and helpful.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
As always thanks Chip but when I told the teacher who is assigned there and then the Governing Board who happened to be meeting then I was underwhelmed by their response. I am sure if this is going to happen it will be because some sincere person wants to do it. I am fairly sincere but dumb as a box of rocks with the patience of a Doberman so I can't do it. I would if I thought that I could. I wold be willing to pay for any special books or materials or get them.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As always thanks Chip but when I told the teacher who is assigned there and then the Governing Board who happened to be meeting then I was underwhelmed by their response. I am sure if this is going to happen it will be because some sincere person wants to do it. I am fairly sincere but dumb as a box of rocks with the patience of a Doberman so I can't do it. I would if I thought that I could. I wold be willing to pay for any special books or materials or get them.

The reason I suggested the church is that typically there is usually in every church a group of people who teach the catechism classes and I thought maybe one could dedicate some time. Also, I realize your budget is tight, but there is also the option of getting a high school student or even a tutor and paying them a reduced rate. Finally, it isn't the end of the world if the kid doesn't learn to read here because there are so many people in this situation here in the DR and the fact is he is getting love, attention and discipline are really the most important things to put him on the right path to becoming a good person.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Did you try the Caritas in Santiago? I don't know what is meant by "Catholic-funded" but in my experience, Caritas will help or partner with most organizations tied to the Church.