Tourist Visa for my Fiancee

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello, I would like to know if there is any way for a Dominican w/o resources to obtain a Tourist Visa to the US. Rosa is 26, and close (6 months) to graduating with a Psychology degree at UTESA in Santiago. We have been engaged for 2 months. thanks, tom

Apr 13, 2011
Look into doing a Fiance visa. From what I have heard, much easier - wish I had known to research it before I got married...

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Hello, I would like to know if there is any way for a Dominican w/o resources to obtain a Tourist Visa to the US. Rosa is 26, and close (6 months) to graduating with a Psychology degree at UTESA in Santiago. We have been engaged for 2 months. thanks, tom

W/o resources, No Tourist Visa. No likelihood of return. The law is tough.
Only hope is fiance visa or wife visa. And you need to look into this carefully, it is not for a whim.
U.S. Department of State go to US Embassy Consulate section Santo Domingo for full details.

Glenn68

Jun 13, 2011
Hello to all,

Relatively new here and I have a question about Visas into the USA. I am an Australian citizen and I have just been offer a job in the USA and I am currently going through the "E3" Visa process which is a special work visa for Australian's. My partner is Dominican and 33 years old of course I support her as my partner etc and I would like to bring her with me into the USA after I start work, she would not be traveling with me but coming about 2 or 3 weeks after once I get an apartment setup etc, she also wants to travel back and forth as her mother is not well back in DR. I have asked the company who is offering the work if they can provide any assistance with helping her to come into the US also via either a letter of invitation or similar? Used this method on other jobs in other countries without any real issue. They have so far said yep no problem we will help out. I am not sure if there maybe an issue as I am still legally married in Australia it has not mattered elsewhere but concerned it may in the US.
Can anyone provide any information on this or direct me to where I can obtain the correct information or whether or not I am wasting my time in trying to get her into the US with me.

Thank You in Advance for any help
Glenn

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Stop dreaming you people. They are not going to get visas unless you marry them. And that is why, in all probability they are with you in the first place...Sorry...

HB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hello to all,

Relatively new here and I have a question about Visas into the USA. I am an Australian citizen and I have just been offer a job in the USA and I am currently going through the "E3" Visa process which is a special work visa for Australian's. My partner is Dominican and 33 years old of course I support her as my partner etc and I would like to bring her with me into the USA after I start work, she would not be traveling with me but coming about 2 or 3 weeks after once I get an apartment setup etc, she also wants to travel back and forth as her mother is not well back in DR. I have asked the company who is offering the work if they can provide any assistance with helping her to come into the US also via either a letter of invitation or similar? Used this method on other jobs in other countries without any real issue. They have so far said yep no problem we will help out. I am not sure if there maybe an issue as I am still legally married in Australia it has not mattered elsewhere but concerned it may in the US.
Can anyone provide any information on this or direct me to where I can obtain the correct information or whether or not I am wasting my time in trying to get her into the US with me.

Glenn

Here's the info you need for the Embassy in Australia. If you're company is helping out that will make a big difference.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hello to all,

Glenn

Unless your partner can qualify for a visa on her own, it is extremely unlikely she will be joining you in the US. She has to be approved on her own merits based upon the undocumented criteria used by the US government to evaluate visa applications.

Visitor Visas - Business and Pleasure

Glenn68

Jun 13, 2011
Hillbilly,

I think your response is unjustified. My question is reasonable mate.

If you read my post you will see I cannot marry her yet because I am still legally married as we all know marriage separations take time. I am not looking to immigrate to the US at all nor is she and do not want to to be honest as Australia is a far better place to live. This job has me in the US for about 18 months maybe slightly longer then I will be going back to Australia for the remaining part of the job but I will jump through that hurdle of getting her into Australia when that times comes and it should be easy enough. I am asking for advice/assistance not a "stop dreaming" response. There has to be some method of legally bringing your partner/fiancee into the USA legitimately especially as I will be a legitimate worker and will be supporting my partner. If she cannot come into the USA I will probably not take the job- as her coming with me is part of the deal which I have negotiated with the company. I have my reasons for wanting to leave the job/country I am in because it is 3rd world. The method I mention of the company I work for providing a letter of invitation is "used" in other countries without issue therefore, I was asking if this method is able to be used in the USA, the company offering me the employment is investigating this option right now but it is something they are not sure about because most people bring their wives with them not a girlfriend from a different country. I am sure she can & will qualify for a tourist Visa under her own merits but a tourist visa means she will have to leave the country after a certain amount of time 30 days/90 days or whatever it may be and then re-apply for re-entry once again which a second time may prove more difficult because US immigration officals think that every "tourist/visitor" will not leave the US this is therefore why I asked for advice on other options.

Thanks Glenn

Stop dreaming you people. They are not going to get visas unless you marry them. And that is why, in all probability they are with you in the first place...Sorry...

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hillbilly,

If you read my post you will see I cannot marry her yet because I am still legally married as we all know marriage separations take time. I am not looking to immigrate to the US at all nor is she and do not want to to be honest as Australia is a far better place to live. This job has me in the US for about 18 months maybe slightly longer then I will be going back to Australia for the remaining part of the job but I will jump through that hurdle of getting her into Australia when that times comes and it should be easy enough. I am asking for advice/assistance not a "stop dreaming" response. There has to be some method of legally bringing your partner/fiancee into the USA legitimately especially as I will be a legitimate worker and will be supporting my partner. If she cannot come into the USA I will probably not take the job- as her coming with me is part of the deal which I have negotiated with the company. I have my reasons for wanting to leave the job/country I am in because it is 3rd world. The method I mention of the company I work for providing a letter of invitation is "used" in other countries without issue therefore, I was asking if this method is able to be used in the USA, the company offering me the employment is investigating this option right now but it is something they are not sure about because most people bring their wives with them not a girlfriend from a different country. I am sure she can & will qualify for a tourist Visa under her own merits but a tourist visa means she will have to leave the country after a certain amount of time 30 days/90 days or whatever it may be and then re-apply for re-entry once again which a second time may prove more difficult because US immigration officals think that every "tourist/visitor" will not leave the US this is therefore why I asked for advice on other options.

Thanks Glenn

Glenn, HB knows what he is talking about. We have seen these questions many times before.

If you are sure she will qualify for a tourist visa on her own then go for it. She might be able to get a 10 year renewable tourist visa. Every time she would enter the US the US immigration officials would decide how long she could stay before exiting the country. Normally they give a 6 month period for the visit.

I believe you will discover there is no such thing as a letter of invitation to the US and nothing your company can really do to help her get a visitor's visa except for reimbursing you for the related costs of the application . If she has a business or a good job, a long term bank account showing regular activity over many years (not one with a sudden large deposit of money), her own home, a car, NO relatives already in the US, but lots of family in the DR, and the immigration agent is in a good mood, she might get a visitor's visa. Since you have no plans to actually live in the US, you have no basis for applying for a fianc?e (or spousal) visa so a visitor's visa is your only chance for her to be with you and it is a small chance. Good luck.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Hillbilly,

If you read my post you will see I cannot marry her yet because I am still legally married as we all know marriage separations take time. I am not looking to immigrate to the US at all nor is she and do not want to to be honest as Australia is a far better place to live. This job has me in the US for about 18 months maybe slightly longer then I will be going back to Australia for the remaining part of the job but I will jump through that hurdle of getting her into Australia when that times comes and it should be easy enough. I am asking for advice/assistance not a "stop dreaming" response. There has to be some method of legally bringing your partner/fiancee into the USA legitimately especially as I will be a legitimate worker and will be supporting my partner. If she cannot come into the USA I will probably not take the job-

Thanks Glenn

HB's response was legit. He is saving you from a lot of frustration. Sometimes folks have trouble with what they do not want to hear- even if it is a truth.

Def: A mistress is a man's long-term female lover and companion who is not married to him, used when the man is married to another woman.

Partner is used for an unmarried man.

A married man can not have a fiancee.

Good luck anyone bringing in a "mistress". Can't legally have it both ways.

You can not file for finance visa, and you are not a US Citizen or Resident Alien (RA). If you was, you must prove that you are able to get married, so until your divorce is final, you can not file. If your divorce is final and you have the final decree in hand then you can file- If you was a US Citizen or RA.

Go with a Tourist Visa even thought it is also a popular pipe dream.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Glenn, if your girlfriend has traveled to other countries before make sure she gathers any and all documentation including copies of the pages in her passport. Showing that she has returned to the DR after her other visas expired is in her favour and together with a letter from your company she might have a good shot at it.

I gave you the wrong site since I thought she was with you, sorry. If she has to apply from the DR here is the correct site Visas | Embassy of the United States Dominican Republic

Like windeguy said she might get a multi entry visitor visa. Good luck and please let us know how she makes out.

Glenn68

Jun 13, 2011
Guys,

Its not that I don't like the answer. The answer was out of line as I was told to eat a **** sandwich for no apparent reason. I am an Australia and I tell it how see it most Aussie's are this way and a lot of people don't like it as we say in Oz a spade is a spade. Seems my personal circumstances have been assessed here so a quick bit of education on them my partner/girlfriend/long term f*# buddy/mistress whatever you want to call her travels with me on jobs to other countries, she has family in the DR, a house, bank account etc etc she travels to & fro whilst I work due to this she does not have a job currently. I have the mentioned option to bring "your girlfriend" or whatever you want to call her because other countries are no longer in the dark ages therefore alot of today's modern countries/societies have the letter of introduction option/facility.

Unfortunately my wife is delaying to sign divorce papers partly because I am not in Australia very often so it makes the closure of that part of my life all the more drawn out, stressful and complicated and we also have children together which my wife uses a bit of leverage when she feels like it. If the US does not have the flexibility or ability to "allow" partners/girlfriends to accompany a worker who has the correct work permits/visa in hand then I will have re-assess my options should that be the case in the meantime I will discuss with the company what they can do for me as they told me no worries we will help out.

Mistress is usually a term used when the man who is still married still and returns to live with his wife, the mistress is his bit of fun on the side whom he supports or looks after and the wife does not know anything about. My soon to be ex does know I have a new "partner" which she does not like.

The company who have offered me the work is applying for an E3 which if you know anything about it is for Australians only and I cannot get her on to this Visa period because she is not my legal spouse/wife/Australia passport holder/citizen so that was/or will never be an option, unless I get divorced tomorrow and married the following day before the Visa is issued.

I will wait to see how it will work or will not and then look at my options then.

Thanks Glenn.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Glenn: I am sorry if I stepped on your toes. The fact is, as I believe PIB has said somewhere before: "If she has not obtained a visa by her age, she will not get one." It is just a fact of life. If she has widely traveled, but not to the US, and she has returned, as Anna said, then there is a slight chance she will get a visa. Negatives are: Single, poor, not propertied, no vehicle, no major pull to come back. This is what the Visa Consul will be looking for. If she any relatives in the States, that is another red flag.

Years ago, and still today, some families traveled with their "retainers", but these people are so far up the food chain as to be unapproachable...

I think your efforts to get your friend a visa are admirable, but I don't think it will happen..And please, if it should happen, let this board know, okay?

HB

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Why does this have to get so complicated? You can take our attempts at humour in the advice for what they are, we don't have any Aussie jokes here.
The truth has been told:
If she cannot get a tourist visa (which is the best way to visit US) then her options are Only:
1)Marry her when you can, if you can.
2)Get her in through your employer on a work visa (not so easy either)

All of this is on the web site of the U.S. Department of State if you read through it all.

Rightly or wrongly, it aint easy to enter the US from a "poor" country.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Glenn68---What kind of work does she do in the DR? Does she have a degree? If she qualifies to expand her knowledge she may be eligible for a J1-Exchange Visa. This allows on to continue their professional training in the US. I know of a UTESA engineering grad, with no resources, approved to take internship in the US. Process required letter from a sponsor in US. Many universities and coprporations advertise international internships. Visa approval only took 6 weeks. See:
J1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program - Easily Apply Online

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
I have the mentioned option to bring "your girlfriend" or whatever you want to call her because other countries are no longer in the dark ages therefore alot of today's modern countries/societies have the letter of introduction option/facility.

If the US does not have the flexibility or ability to "allow" partners/girlfriends to accompany a worker who has the correct work permits/visa in hand then I will have re-assess my options should that be the case in the meantime I will discuss with the company what they can do for me as they told me no worries we will help out.

It is not that the US "is in the dark ages"- they have an immense immigration dilemma.

Every visa applicant, from whatever "developing" country is presumed to be "schemer". They couldn't care less about your marital status or preferences. This is not a paranoiac policy. Statistics show a large number of visa applicants to the US are fraudulent "sham marriages" or visa holders who never had any intention on returning. The low approval rates are based on the applicant country's number of fraudulent visas. One unfortunate result is the "legits" are often caught in this wide-cast net. This problem is also compounded by the events of 9/11. The USCIS now scrutinizes visas.

Their words not mine: “US law states that every applicant for a non-immigrant visitor visa will be presumed to be an intending immigrant (overstay) to the United States. In order to overcome this presumption and qualify for a visa to the US, visitors must demonstrate significant economic, familial, social and other ties to their home country that will compel them to leave the US before the end of their authorized visit/stay.”

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am interested to read all of this...... misperception, miscommunication, misunderstandings.....

These things go on all day here on DR1...

I, for one, have made what I preceive to be benign comments only to be slaughtered by the masses.
So, welcome to the club.

Unfortunately, for some you posters here, you are new to the 'whipping game'..

Live and learn

No good deed should go unpunished....