More midwives needed in Haiti (ATTN: SKing!)

Fleur de Santiago

Sep 20, 2010

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Wow this is great! It is a shame that DR can't follow suit and actually identify their weaknesses in the mortality of mothers and babies. I would love to do something like this but cannot live in Haiti, not at least while my children are young. I do respect the fact that other nations are becoming more aware if this issue although someone needs to fight for DR also. I just read different articles (from medical journals, not magazines) which cite the c/s rate in DR between 31.5%-44%.....that is I believe quadruple the recommendations of the World Health Organization! When I was researching Midwives in Haiti for my clinicals when I was moving back to Santiago I saw that I had several to choose from. There are quite a few clinics run by foreign MDs and Midwives but of course, none in DR except for week or 2 week long missions. DR dies not want Midwives, I have concluded, for financial reasons and for pride....mist women if given a choice between a midwife and a doctor, will choose the Midwife. Did you know that a woman is 50% less likely to tear during a delivery with a midwife? Where do you think some of those germs crawl into to give these women the infections that are killing them in DR?? The Docs do not want to pay anyone else to so anything even though it will save lives.
I am glad that Haiti is getting help for its moms and babies. I hope to be able to go soon even if for a week for clinicals, I am going to Nicaragua in April but that is with Trauma/General Surgery. I am hoping that I will get to Haiti soon, even if just to see what a wonderful job those Midwives are doing

SHALENA

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Wow this is great! It is a shame that DR can't follow suit and actually identify their weaknesses in the mortality of mothers and babies. I would love to do something like this but cannot live in Haiti, not at least while my children are young. I do respect the fact that other nations are becoming more aware if this issue although someone needs to fight for DR also. I just read different articles (from medical journals, not magazines) which cite the c/s rate in DR between 31.5%-44%.....

Most of theses mother are Haitians going to deliver in Dominican hospitals....

For free and they receive better care than the Dominican ones but the babies don't get a birth certificate.

JJ