chicken fried rice

May 5, 2007
Not being Dominican cooking I guess this belongs here?

anyone have good recipe for above, mine keeps coming out "mushy"

I cook rice (Brown) day before, refrigerate, cook onions then add chicken, peas in Wok with sesame oil and cook for about 15 minutes. Still comes out kind of mushy and sticky except for my favorite "burned" parts that stick to wok

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Brown rice is the issue. It is much more moist and heavy than white rice. Rice needs to be almost dry after a night in the fridge. If it does not break up into individual grains, it is too mushy for fried rice.

Marinate chopped up chicken breast is 1 tsp white wine, 1 tsp soy, 1 very chopped up green onion, a dash of Sesame oil, alst and pepper, and....

Fry in hot hot wok with peanut oil, chopped green onions, garlic and ginger, (a pinch of hop pepper flakes too?) until pink is gone. Set aside.

Chinese use yesterday's leftover white rice. Peanut oil, almost red hot pan, chopped green onions, garlic and ginger, and before the garlic burns, throw in the rice and "fry" and coat it with the savory oil...then put in,chicken, spring peas, slivered carrots, anything you have in your veggie drawer, including lettuce at the last minute. Flavor with light soy sauce and a couple of tablespoons of Oyster sauce...

HB

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Not being Dominican cooking I guess this belongs here?

anyone have good recipe for above, mine keeps coming out "mushy"

I cook rice (Brown) day before, refrigerate, cook onions then add chicken, peas in Wok with sesame oil and cook for about 15 minutes. Still comes out kind of mushy and sticky except for my favorite "burned" parts that stick to wok

I am not an expert...but...I have raised 5 very picky kids and over the years their reviews could put "Hell's Kitchen" off the air.

How does a wok work on an electric stove? You can't possibly transfer enough heat to properly cook your food. The whole purpose of a wok with sesame oil is high heat and short cooking time. Wok cooking is timed in seconds, not minutes. This is why your vegetables are 'mushy'.

Try the recipe in a cast iron skillet on high heat with constant stirring and the cooing time should be about 3-4 minutes or you can use an electric wok (teflon coated, of course) with the same results. The meat should be thoroughly cooked and drained prior to cooking the other ingredients. When the contents are brown and crisping then add the pre-cooked meat and stir for half a minute (Japanese MIL taught me everything I know about cooking).

May 5, 2007
Brown rice is the issue. It is much more moist and heavy than white rice. Rice needs to be almost dry after a night in the fridge. If it does not break up into individual grains, it is too mushy for fried rice.

Marinate chopped up chicken breast is 1 tsp white wine, 1 tsp soy, 1 very chopped up green onion, a dash of Sesame oil, alst and pepper, and....

Fry in hot hot wok with peanut oil, chopped green onions, garlic and ginger, (a pinch of hop pepper flakes too?) until pink is gone. Set aside.

Chinese use yesterday's leftover white rice. Peanut oil, almost red hot pan, chopped green onions, garlic and ginger, and before the garlic burns, throw in the rice and "fry" and coat it with the savory oil...then put in,chicken, spring peas, slivered carrots, anything you have in your veggie drawer, including lettuce at the last minute. Flavor with light soy sauce and a couple of tablespoons of Oyster sauce...

HB

And I always thought brown rice was the way to go. At least I can start over with white rice before I use all the other ingredients

Peanut oil versus sesame? Thats new to me but will give it a shot

Jeff>>>What does a rice cooker offer? I see so many "Don't bother with cooker, waste of money etc.

May 5, 2007
I am not an expert...but...I have raised 5 very picky kids and over the years their reviews could put "Hell's Kitchen" off the air.

How does a wok work on an electric stove? You can't possibly transfer enough heat to properly cook your food. The whole purpose of a wok with sesame oil is high heat and short cooking time. Wok cooking is timed in seconds, not minutes. This is why your vegetables are 'mushy'.

Try the recipe in a cast iron skillet on high heat with constant stirring and the cooing time should be about 3-4 minutes or you can use an electric wok (teflon coated, of course) with the same results. The meat should be thoroughly cooked and drained prior to cooking the other ingredients. When the contents are brown and crisping then add the pre-cooked meat and stir for half a minute (Japanese MIL taught me everything I know about cooking).

It is an electric stove with inset burner to allow pans like a wok to receive heat "all over," but maybe it is the brown v. white rice thing. Nothing mushy except rice, maybe I need to switch to "minute rice" :-(

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
It is an electric stove with inset burner to allow pans like a wok to receive heat "all over," but maybe it is the brown v. white rice thing. Nothing mushy except rice, maybe I need to switch to "minute rice" :-(

Peanut oil? Minute rice? Hey, they're your arteries....go for it.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Here is the Best Type of Rice to Use in Hillbilly's recipe:

Long-Grain (white)
Description: Long, polished kernels. Bland and somewhat firm in texture. Yields a drier, fluffy rice. Long grained rice such as the Basmati and Jasmine are also aromatic.
Cooking hints: Bring 1 part rice and 2 parts salted liquid to a boil; lower the heat. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes.
Best Uses

Pilafs

Paella

Stir fry

Salads

Side dishes

Plain boiled white rice

Not very good for puddings, burgers or any dish where the rice is not displayed whole. For such dishes parboiled rice or short grained rice is preferred.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
Jeff>>>What does a rice cooker offer? I see so many "Don't bother with cooker, waste of money etc.

Billions of Asian people can't be wrong. I have a friend whose family has a BACKUP rice cooker.

I bought a $40 one when I got here and we use it all the time. You will likely have a couple trial runs with it first, but you'll get it. :)

May 5, 2007
OK folks, the drama continues

Cooked big pot of long grain white rice, "seems" fluffy. After night in the reefer the experiment continues

Will Sean's rice be fluffy or mushy, what drama

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Two things (at least at the start of this)
1) Peanut oil: the Chinese and most people who do stir-fries like it because it does not break down like other oils--sesame for instance-- at high heat. If that wok is not sizziling you are not doing stir fry which is supposed to be done in a few minutes.
2) Rice: I figured that if 1.4 billion Chinese can cook rice, I should be able to. Get a Dominican style aluminum rice cooker, a good one with a good lid. They are dirt cheap and come in 4 or 5 sizes. Okay. Measure rice. Put it in some container and rinse it until the water comes clear. Put it in the pot. Measure "about" the same amount of water as you did rice. So far so good. Add some salt. Now turn up heat to HIGH....watch the water come to a bubbly boil and then cover, turn down heat WAY DOWN to barely keep the water simmering (a tiny bit of steam will creep out around the sides of the lid) and wait 15-17 minutes. WITHOUT peeking, turn off heat and wait another 20 minutes.
NOW you can take off top and give the rice a stir to loosen up. No con con, no oil. Just dry, Chinese style rice.

HB

I can add that using a big cast iron skillet will do the job as well...same ingredients, and it will work..

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
1:1 does not seem to be enough water

1 cup rice 2 cups a water
I could be wrong
manu

May 5, 2007
Two things (at least at the start of this)
1) Peanut oil: the Chinese and most people who do stir-fries like it because it does not break down like other oils--sesame for instance-- at high heat. If that wok is not sizziling you are not doing stir fry which is supposed to be done in a few minutes.
2) Rice: I figured that if 1.4 billion Chinese can cook rice, I should be able to. Get a Dominican style aluminum rice cooker, a good one with a good lid. They are dirt cheap and come in 4 or 5 sizes. Okay. Measure rice. Put it in some container and rinse it until the water comes clear. Put it in the pot. Measure "about" the same amount of water as you did rice. So far so good. Add some salt. Now turn up heat to HIGH....watch the water come to a bubbly boil and then cover, turn down heat WAY DOWN to barely keep the water simmering (a tiny bit of steam will creep out around the sides of the lid) and wait 15-17 minutes. WITHOUT peeking, turn off heat and wait another 20 minutes.
NOW you can take off top and give the rice a stir to loosen up. No con con, no oil. Just dry, Chinese style rice.

HB

I can add that using a big cast iron skillet will do the job as well...same ingredients, and it will work..

I'm not washing the rice first, maybe it's a "starchiness" I am calling mushy? Probably too late do do much now that it is cooked and cooling :-(

About the oil: every time I have asked in Chinese restaurant they have said sesame oil, I will happily use Peanut oil as that foolish sesame is about 5 bucks a 1/2 pint

May 5, 2007

Hillbilly;

Just spoke with friend of mine and while he said he can't comment on your rice cooking he says your breakfast and grilling capabilities are excellent!

May 5, 2007
Forgot one thing:

OK folks, appreciate all the ideas for cooking rice (My original question) but no one mentioned the most important thing in this dish

???????

Meatloaf came out great, bout best I have made. Someday I'm going to learn to write down exactly what I put in so it will come out the same next time, sort of like my spaghetti sauce. Know how I want to make it but when someone asks for recipe I am lost

In case you didn't guess, day off and decided to stock reefer with "home cooked" for change instead of deli and frozen food section of Market, though one nice reader said it was OK for me or Tom to go to Oyster Pub yesterday :)

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
1:1 does not seem to be enough water

1 cup rice 2 cups a water
I could be wrong
manu

No thats too much in my opinion. I add about 1:1 + 1/2 a cup more of water. Example if you make 3 cups of rice then 3 1/2 cups of water.

Thanks.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
EverythingJeff informs

Billions of Asian people can't be wrong. I have a friend whose family has a BACKUP rice cooker.

rice cookers are for cooking rice, not for making FRIED rice. fried rice is made in a hot wok. very hot.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
No thats too much in my opinion. I add about 1:1 + 1/2 a cup more of water. Example if you make 3 cups of rice then 3 1/2 cups of water.

Thanks.

1:1 gives you that starchy rice that is used to roll sushi but you've got to stay on top of it. It's a bish trying to pick up minute rice with chopsticks.

BTW/HB: 127 million Japanese have never heard of peanut oil and think that Chinese food is for slopping hogs with and would rather eat spam right out of the can. Different strokes.