starting an excursion business in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

leo092305

Jun 21, 2011
Hello guys

I am a US citizen looking to move to the beautiful DR. I have saved some money and i am interested in starting my own excursion business. I am very interested in parasailing but dont know much about it. If anyone can please give me some advice or if anyone has any other excursions ideas please feel free to comment. thank you very much in advance. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Ok...I will start this one....

Have you ever been to the Dominican Republic B4??? perhaps a trip their first before you try to dive in head first to something you apparently have not researched....the saving of the money is the easy part....:)

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Running an excursion business is NOT easy it is very difficult. Besides a tough environment to operate in (meaning tons of rules and red tape) there is tons of competition. And the competition is for dwindling tourism dollars. It is hard, it is competitive and you have never done it before. Do you know anything about boating at least???

dbogdan83

Jun 20, 2011
to JR: yes i have been to DR plenty of times.

to DMV: thanks for the advise but nothing is easy in life. i joined DR1 to get as much research as possible. and no i do not have much boating experience but i am a very bright motivated person who is ready to do anything to make it happen.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I understand what you are saying, what I am suggesting is that this is beyond what you may be ready for. SO: Do you speak Spanish? Have you ever run a business before? Do you have any experience running any kind of tourism related company? ORany kind of business?

Here is what I normally suggest: come live here for 6months to a year. Learn more spanish. Work in the industry that you want to start your own company.So get yourself a job at low pay working for a similar company - maybe not exactly the same but similar. Learn the ropes. Learn how to set up this type of business,what the hassles are, how to deal with the system here. For example do you know what a tour operator is and how to pay them?

there is a whole lot to this!!!

I am not suggesting you are not smart or not capable.I am suggesting it is harder to do it here then wherever you are from - the culture and language are your first hurdles.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
to JR: yes i have been to DR plenty of times.

to DMV: thanks for the advise but nothing is easy in life. i joined DR1 to get as much research as possible. and no i do not have much boating experience but i am a very bright motivated person who is ready to do anything to make it happen.

This was not meant to be harmful, however helpful, you asked a very broad question. When asking questions you need to be very specific to your needs in order for the fellow DR1-ers to respond accordingly. Just a heads up, Parasailing excursions are a dime a dozen in the Punta Cana area, and I am not sure if another company would be warranted....you really need to do your research more in depth...like DMV stated you need to perhaps go spend a lot of time there and do your homework first....whatever you decide we all wish you the very best of luck...

leo092305

Jun 21, 2011
Hi guys,

thank you very much for your advise.. i was definetly planing on living and working in DR in the business before starting my own. thank you again,

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
so you want to set up a business that you know nothing about ? am I on the right track here ?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
leo092305 and dbogdan83 are the same person.

Why do people do that? I guess some people have some serious inferiority complexes!

Status
Not open for further replies.