Advice?

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I'm on tap for another DR adventure, I leave in six weeks for a one year contract. Already my suitcases are out, I'm packing up my stuff, and looking for the best way to get some semblance of my life here, there. At first I thought of shipping, but after a few days of recon I think it will be too time consuming and expensive.

So I am thinking of flying with some extra bags out of Portland. Is there a "better" airline to fly with extra bags? They all seem frightfully expensive.

I'm packing very basic kits, kitchen, bath, office, etc. The stuff that helps me function. I realize I am going to make choices about what to pack. I realize this has been discussed a lot already. I have done my fair share of searches.

First question, airline of choice for an extra bag or two?

I'll get around to other questions later.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
AA embargo.

I am not positive, but I think that American Airlines has an "embargo" during the summer flights to the DR so that you are only allowed one bag in economy and three in first class and are not allowed to bring any extra bags even if you pay for them. Usually, without the embargo, you can pay for extra bags, but not while they have the restriction. Check with them and your respective dates to be sure.

Can you send your things via one of the door to door shippers? It may take a month, but may be better to ship a large amount of things.

Good luck on your adventure!

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
US Airways, Continental and JetBlue all offer the flight I need, of these three, US Airways seems "cheapest"....but I want to hear from people who have done it.

I've also read my port (PUJ) has no embargo on AA during summer, just STI and SDQ!

Thanks BigOcean. The door to door people don't quite come to my neck of the woods.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Continental Airlines:

In general, Continental Airlines will accept up to two pieces of checked baggage with a maximum weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) per bag and a maximum outside dimension of 62 inches (157 cm) per bag in exchange for the applicable service fees set forth below. Outside dimension of a bag is equal to the width + height + depth of the bag added together. Certain customers are allowed to check three pieces of baggage.

The first 50 lb bag is FREE
The second 50 lb bag is $30.00

When we traveled we packed all of our clothing in a carry on, being we could wash clothing while we are there, and the other suitcases we packed with as much stuff as we could stuff in them to get to the 50lb limit...helpful item...we utilized space bags to remove air from items that we packed to be able to add more items to the suitcase...

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
Also, some airlines allow a free 1st bag if you have a gold or platinum bearing the airlines logo. I recently flew Delta (which I think is a partner with Continental), and at that time it was 2 bags (with the dimensions mentioned by jrjrth) since I made my reservations prior to Jun 11. The agent also allowed me to check the 3rd bag for free when I showed the credit card. The fee otherwise would have been $100 USD. Problem with Delta is they will stick it to you on airfare unless you fly out of Atlanta (which I did not). Now, Delta's baggage policy is exactly as jrjrth mentioned above. 1st free, $30 2nd, and still a free bag if you have the credit card.

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
the info I provided applied to PUJ...and yes...as bigocean pointed out....Airlines do have embargoes which vary from airline to airline. Delta does have an embargo flying into SDQ and STI meaning no extra baggage is allowed. Checking the website up until the day prior to leaving is recommended. Delta changed their baggage policy after I purchased my ticket and I was not aware until I arrived at the airport. Fortunately it did not affect the cost of travel in my situation.

Excess Baggage

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
I always fly Spirit. They're cheaper and they allow extra bags, and even those prices are cheaper. Spirit has no embargoes so as long as you're willing to pay, you can bring it. It's also a benefit to join their $9.00 fare club, for the small fee, you save on extra bags and it's made up the first flight with the discounts.

Not advertising, I just fly almost every month, and without Spirit Airlines, I wouldn't be able to afford the cost.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Flew back to DR on AA a few weeks ago in First/Business class and was allowed to check 3 bags. Not sure if this helps.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have no answer to your post MaineGirl but I do wish you the best of luck on your new adventure!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Delta also allows you 3 bags up to 70 lbs in First/Business class. Not sure of your dates but one way from Portland on Delta First/Business looks to be about $601.00. Not sure but it could be possible with coach and baggage fees it might be worth the upgrade.

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
@dulce thanks so much. :)

@keepcoming Great advice. I checked first class fares and compared them to the cost of paying fees, versus shipping, versus the hassle of all of that. Maybe flying first class is just the way life should be at this juncture. I never have checked the fares before just now, but would love to fly first class and check three bags free!

From their website:

Attention First and Business Class Customers
We are pleased to offer customers in First and Business Class the ability to check three bags at no charge when traveling on American