Punts Cana RE: dumb question

lerobbins

Apr 14, 2011
I'm flying in next month to check out real estate in PC. Will likely focus search in PC Village. Since I know very little about homes in the tropics, wondering if anyone has any advice on what to look for in terms of storm readiness, structural integrity, or any other little things you wish you'd known when you did your home search. Will be using an agent (referrals welcome), but would like to be as prepared as possible. Many thanks in advance!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You may want to ask neighbors if the area floods during torrential rains and tropical storms, but this is just one of the many things you need to look out for.

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
Recommend you sit down with the Developer of the Project(s) you are interested in, and let them show you what they are using then explain the building code requirements. I have a place that is about a 5 minute walk from the beach here in Cortecito, and the only area of construction I see that "could" be a concern is the glass. None of it is hurricane rated. I already knew this before buying, but it isn't really a concern (with me in my situation).

I have a home at a beach in NW Florida, and it is 100% hurricane rated. It was expensive. Having said that...Hurricane rated does not provide the same level of protection from Tornadoes which spawn off Hurricanes when they come ashore. Nothing much in building structures can protect you from a Tornado that has you in it's path, and I have yet to see a house that is built to withstand a Tornado. However, the good thing is I have not heard of many tornadoes in the DR, but then again I have not been here very long. Final issue if your place is close or directly on the water.....surge which will definitely result in flooding to some extent.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
If you are looking into PuntaCana Village just go to the Real Estate office at the mall (Galerias) and talk to one of the salespeople. We (husband, child and I) have been living in PCV for 3 years now and I absolutely love it. My only concern is that we will need to get hurricane shutters in some of our glass windows. There is no flooding here, and I have seen several days of mighty rain.