Community-Based Tourism in the DR

mg85

Jun 20, 2011
Hi all,

I just want to let everyone know that there is a new network of community-based tourism enterprises in the DR called Dominican Treasures -- the website is here: Dominican Treasures - Dominican Treasures

All of the enterprises have an environmental and social focus in addition to offering off-the-beaten path experiences. They are located all over the country, and include everything from ecolodges to diving centers to fair trade chocolate tours.

For full disclosure, I do some work help support these enterprises, but I figured that this is an excellent forum to get feedback on the Dominican Treasures site. For you experienced DR travelers out there, do you have recommendations for improving the site?

Thanks so much for any feedback you have! These enterprises really have the potential to have an impact on the communities in which they operate, so I really appreciate your help.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This is very interesting. I hope they continue to add to the attractions. What are the requirements in order to be included as one of the attractions.? If we know that, it is likely there are posters on the board who can suggest additions.

mg85

Jun 20, 2011
Great questions

Thanks for the positive feedback and excellent questions. I know that right now they are still focusing on these 11 enterprises, but that they will probably be open to expanding the network in the future. I am going to talk to the program director down in the DR, Yira, and have her come on this thread to give more information very soon, since she is the one in charge of things on the ground.

Thanks again for your feedback, and if you are the social media type and like what the Dominican Treasures are doing, it would be great to get your support on facebook and twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dominican-Treasures/217797648248111?ref=ts

Dominican Treasures (@Dominicantr) on Twitter

Thanks again!

-Matt

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Great Site

That is excellent information for those of us that try to stay off the beaten path and help out small communities. I look foward to the site expanding. The iguana farm that is reintroducing iguanas to that area on the road to Playa Rincon in Samana comes to mind. Or the turtle hatchery on Isle Saona near Bayahibe. Thank you for posting.

Yira Vermenton

Jul 8, 2011
Hello Everyone!
Thank you Matt for introducing your post about Dominican Treasures. I am glad to see that indeed there are people outthere that support our concept of sustainable tourism.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Yira Vermenton, and I am the Executive Director of Dominican Treasures. Please know that we are still in a prelaunch stage of Dominican Treasures, and while we are still working on finalising details with the present products and services that have been included already on the page, It is one of our goals to keep populating the site with good private and/or community projects that meet our sustainability criteria and that have a great impact in the communities where the operate. Please feel free to refer any products that you consider worthy recipients of our quality stamp Dominican Treasures, as I will be glad to walk them through the application process to become a member of Dominican Treasures. You can also contact me at info@dominicantreasures.com. Thanks!