Updated list of mail services that ship from US to DR?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I've been searching for the different mail services available for shipping from the US to the DR, but I haven't found any updated threads.

For anyone that frequently purchases items from the US (for under $200) and ships them to the DR, what service do you use? How much do you pay? Is it reliable?

Thanks.

Feb 7, 2007
Vimenpaq www.vimenpaq.com.do
Costs on average 155 pesos per pound
One of the most solid companies, backed by Grupo Vimenca
In the past 12 months they have raised their rates considerably
Before, they were price leader on the market. Now, they are just average.
They also round up to the next pound even if you exceed by 0.001
They started charging $25 per package for delivery into interior (included in average rate above).

Pick'n'Send www.picknsend.com
Costs 167 pesos firsat pound, about 125 pesos each additional pound
One of the cheapest options available around there, very reliable
I recommend them personally.

DHL EasyShop DHL EasyShop
Rate calculator is on their website but may not include all surchages, you can ring them up
Backed by DHL Cargo company

EPS EPS • Express Parcel Service, Int
About 190 pesos per pound
One of the most reliable (and oldest) courier services in the DR. They are also one of the most expensive ones.

Business Mail Business Mail & Cargo
No final rate listed, you can ring them up
Lots of DR1 members have complained about their service.

Inpospaq INPOSPAK - Inicio de Sesi?n
About RD$125 per pound with all fees included
Delivery anywhere in the DR
This is a new service form Dominican Postal System
They make 3 weekly flights from Miami.
I will try them with some brochures sending first.

CPS Dominicana www.cps-dom
Their online calculator says it's 165 pesos for each pound, regardless of volume for Flex membership or 199 pesos for otehr memberships
Established company but no further information available. They do volumetric rate accounting.

Aeropaq Inicio
Online calculator says it's 158 pesos for each pound, regardless of volume
Established company, average price, go by the tenth of pound rate accounting

BPS Pack Berr Parcel Service :: Carga, Paquetes y Documentos !
No tariffs listed, they ask customers to call them to inquire about rates
Quiet a new company, no experience.

Advance Cargo ADVANCE CARGO
Importing from EUROPE, no rates listed

BLU Currier
Blue Couriers Express
Relatively new company, could not find their rates

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Great list Rubio. Unfortunately PickNSend still has no north coast office.
I still use TransExpress for packages.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Apparently picknsend recently raised their prices.

I called the Santiago office today and they charge RD$183/pound. EPS costs US$4.75 (about RD$180) 1-3 pounds.

It seems EPS is cheaper than picknsend.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And if no change by TransExpress then TransExpress is the cost leader again. TransExpress is also much faster than EPS in getting your shipments from Miami to the local office for your pick up and TransExpress charges no annual fee for the package service.

Feb 7, 2007
Apparently picknsend recently raised their prices.

I called the Santiago office today and they charge RD$183/pound. EPS costs US$4.75 (about RD$180) 1-3 pounds.

It seems EPS is cheaper than picknsend.

Not exactly. While EPS, Business Mail, MBE and others charge you the same price for each pound, maybe having brackets 1-3, 4-10 pounds etc., with Picknsend you pay 2nd and each additional pound cheaper than the first pound.

For example, on June 6, 2011 I paid with Picknsend for 1 pound package:

Flete VIP 128.70
Impuesto DGA 5.07
Seguro 27.69
ITBIS: 4.43

TOTAL: 165.89

Now a 2 pound package is:

Flete VIP 257.40
Impuesto DGA 10.14
Seguro 27.69

TOTAL: 294.59

The second pound cost me only RD$133.70

Now, this thread http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/116015-business-mail-more-expensive-than-eps.html shows EPS pricing.

So, a 1 pound package would cost $5.28, and 2 pound package would cost $10.56. So that is 201 pesos and 402 pesos respectively. Compare to Picknsend.

Also, Picknsend does ROUND DOWN the pound, so a 1.3 pound package would be charged as 1 pound. Who else does that?

One more thing: most companies, including Mailboxes Etc. charge ITBIS also on Internatioanl Freight charges, as can be seen here MBE - Calculadora Tarifa e-Box But they are stealing your money, because international cargo is exempt from ITBIS! Only srvices like fuel surcharges, and insurance are charged by ITBIS. But MBE in the link above charges ITBIS even on DGA (customs) processing fee which is not even ITBIS item at all (as well as cargo fleet charges)! Picknsend, on the other hand, charges ITBIS only on the base of insurance, so you pay 16% of 27.69 and that is 4.43 pesos in ITBIS, regardless of package weigh. The ONLY other company that charges ITBIS correctly is Vimenpaq/Transexpress.

Last edited:

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
For example, on June 6, 2011 I paid with Picknsend for 1 pound package:

Flete VIP 128.70
Impuesto DGA 5.07
Seguro 27.69

TOTAL: 165.89

Now a 2 pound package is:

Flete VIP 257.40
Impuesto DGA 10.14
Seguro 27.69

TOTAL: 294.59

The second pound cost me only RD$133.70
Then I suppose the problem is the person that I talked to does not know/understand their own costs. The guy I talked to at picknsend said that every pound, regardless of weight, is RD$183. He did mention that they have a promotion (I think it was "promocion 3x3") where my cost/pound would be RD$157. But there are no weight brackets.

Business Mail's rates were the following. I'm copy/pasting the email I received on 6/21/11:
0-30 2.50 DOLARES
31-49 1.50 DOLARES
50-69 1.25 DOLARES
70- MAS 0.99 DOLARES
eso es el flete nada mas , ademas tenemos los servicios de aduana k son fijo , en si una libra sale mas o meno en 110 pero con los servicios de aduana llega entre 230- 250. pesos.