Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What in the world is going on?

Duarte

Default What in the world is going on?

I'm reading the newspapers today, and it's just incredible the amount of really violent crimes that are happenning back home lately. I for one don't understand as to why this seems to be hapenning more and more lately.

Here's a sample:
    -Tragedi! 3 people dead in fight between two families, in Jarabacoa.
    -2 cousins killed in Mao, during a fight, that started over a dispute as to the kind of music they should listen to. The cousins were drinking.
    -3 wounded during a gunfight, that originated when a man who was drinking urinated on the side of the house of a police officer. In Santo Domingo.
    -Canadian tourist caught in the act of trying to strangle a 14 year old boy. - Puerto Plata
    -Toddler found drowned and raped in a pool in Puerto Plata.
    -DNI official shot dead over dispute in Pimentel, San Francisco De Macoris

I really can't explain it. The one thing that I can think of is the proliferation of hand guns, over the last few years. Let me know what you guys think. Is it just perception?

Kathy

Default Re: What in the world is going on?

Oh my goodness I can't believe it either. I can't stand the violence either. It makes people talk about our country and not want to visit again.

John

Default To All thinkers that DR is such paradise read abov *DC*

Sarah

Default Why so bitter, John? *DC*

Kathy

Default Re: Why so bitter, John?

Yeah John Why so bitter? did you have a bad experience?

Reyna

Go through the newspaper of any major US city and you'll find more than that. No place is paradise, but crime isn't just bad in the DR.

DR-VETERAN

well complain about it but it is also the everyday fact and happening.
    if you come here with the rosared paradise vision the reality grey will get you sooner or later and may hit you real hard.some "survive others get really "destroyed".
    be happy if you come here to live and nothing negative happens to you.i believe many ex-pats or relocaters are at the beginning easy prey to the local predators(locals and foreigners) until they have learned the game which in many respects is played quite different than from where they come from.

about bitterness:if you have been betrayed,ripped off,robbed, assaulted,raped or been violated in any other way you have all the right to be bitter.if this happens in your own country it is one thing.it happens to you in paradise it's a complete different story.

we all live in the year 2001 but mentally many dominicans seem to live in the 15th century.

DR-VETERAN

Default Re:You forgot....

the 11 or so people which got shot during the last week in santo domingo.under the victims has been an retired coronel and the driver of an minister.if i remember correctly in these 2 cases nothing was stolen.if the killing was not an act of venegance could it be politically motivated?

handguns are not the problem.the lack of true sanctions is!!

A. Nony Mouse

Default Re: What in the world is going on?

Nothing new about violence in the DR. Any regular reader of Sucesos knows that it has been going on for a long time. These events often arise from family disputes in the barrios.

Walker

Default Bitter Jhon

Do no read the newspaper from USA: sometimes boys bring a machine gun into school and open fire without speaking to not one before pulling the trigger. It happen in the world liddder country. Not one like that, but it still can be in any latitude...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast