Going to Haiti on Saturday...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
...to help feed 180 kids in 2 places.

But not anymore.

We were informedtoday that Haiti has instituted a new policy at the border (well, Dajabon anyway) where Americans have to pay US$80 to get in. Last visits there have been no fees of any kind.

Even for a day, even to do charitable works, $80 for a day.

No way. Not going now.

:(

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is no doubt in order to garner more money from the gringos as there are numerous Americans crossing the Southern border daily whether missionaries or volunteers. Also, many of said return every so often to the DR for R and R and this is a chance to hit them up. Too, Haitians living in the US are returning in numbers so this is another opportunity.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The new fee is for all foreigners that are not Dominicans! If you have Dominican citizenship/passport the new fee will not be imposed.

This is a new program that will start in all ports of entry, save for airports in Haiti! The aim is to fund the schools and hospitals with that cash.

The airports in Haiti will charge the new fee once all the presently service partners are dully notified and they do the same with future travelers alike.

The actual fee will be $40 to come in and $40 to exit, charged in one single bill.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

But not anymore.

We were informedtoday that Haiti has instituted a new policy at the border (well, Dajabon anyway) where Americans have to pay US$80 to get in. Last visits there have been no fees of any kind.

No way. Not going now.

What is the difference when foreigners have to pay for a visa to enter the US or tourists have to pay a a tourist card in the DR, or being charge an exit fee from other countries (ex. Costa-Rica)......????
Just another way for governments to get money from people coming in and out, almost everybody else do it one way or another....

Goll

Mar 10, 2009
Watch out for scammers on the border who will claim to be police or customs, ask for your passport and the visa fee. They tried this on me in Jimani. But when I asked for ID the guy showed me his driving license. Probably thought I could not read Spanish. This new visa fee, which did not exist when I crossed in March, is extortionate and I would certainly not bother paying so much for an overnight trip.

Candy in SFM

Feb 10, 2009
Border crossing truth

If you are individuals, with good passports, this is NOT a true statement. If you're taking something in, this may be a Customs fee of some sort. American citizens pay $5 Immigration, $20 Customs on exit; entering Haiti, you pay $1 for visa; exiting Haiti you pay $10; re-entry to DR $10 for another tourist card. This is standard. Anything else is robbery.

But not anymore.

No way. Not going now.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
If you are individuals, with good passports, this is NOT a true statement. If you're taking something in, this may be a Customs fee of some sort. American citizens pay $5 Immigration, $20 Customs on exit; entering Haiti, you pay $1 for visa; exiting Haiti you pay $10; re-entry to DR $10 for another tourist card. This is standard. Anything else is robbery.
We have been often the last year. I documented one trip on DR1 ("One day in Haiti".) Never...again, never...has a dime been asked by Haitian or Dominican officials.

Earlier this week my family went. ALL Americans are charged $80. But "American" is determined by a border Immigration/Customs guard looking into the vehicle. My family, even the Americans, look Dominican and (duh) speak Dominican Spanish. A young 14 y.o. Asian-American girl in the car had a big hat and sunglasses on and wasn't questioned. One 14 y.o. daughter was and they had to pay the $80. She won't be going back either.

No way would I ever pass as anything but a large white gringo human.

$80. Maybe it's just corrupt border guys. Makes no difference. It keeps me out.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Silly to allow a measly $80 change your plans, obviously something you planned in advance. Corrupt, extorsion whatever, the only people to suffer from your not going is you, seems silly.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Silly to allow a measly $80 change your plans, obviously something you planned in advance. Corrupt, extorsion whatever, the only people to suffer from your not going is you, seems silly.
Sorry, I'm not going to PAY $80 to the Haitian gubmint for a day of volunteering to help THIER orphans just because I'm an American. We bring 10-12 people each time we go and they won't miss two this...or future...trips. We have gone fairly often the last year.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I don't get it. Haiti is full of NGOs and the amount of money that's been collected after the earthquake has been astronomical.

Now they need to charge foreigners $80 to fund their schools? And not just from any old foreigners, but ones that fit the stereotype of a gringo, moreso than others? WTF?

Rest assured that money isn't going anywhere NEAR a Haitian school. Unless that's where the bars and whorehouses are.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
When people mention volunteering to me I presume a minimum of 3 weeks or more. I agree it is not worth it for a day, but then I wouldn't go all that way for a day anyway. Maybe I misunderstood timespent on this

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
So sad....it is the children who will ultimately suffer SHALENA

Kinda my point that I think the amount of people put off by this is tiny, day trippers possibly. People who WANT to help will realise your point and not let it stop them.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I don't get it. Haiti is full of NGOs and the amount of money that's been collected after the earthquake has been astronomical.

Now they need to charge foreigners $80 to fund their schools? And not just from any old foreigners, but ones that fit the stereotype of a gringo, moreso than others? WTF?

Rest assured that money isn't going anywhere NEAR a Haitian school. Unless that's where the bars and whorehouses are.
Maybe they read Tom Sawyer...and they have a fence that needs to be whitewashed...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Kinda my point that I think the amount of people put off by this is tiny, day trippers possibly. People who WANT to help will realise your point and not let it stop them.
We've been "day tripping" for quite awhile.

We raise a lot of $$$ for Operation DREAM and 100% of it goes to actual aid, ~ZERO~ to overhead. When we go we take 3 vehicles and a good sized truck from Santiago and pay for our own gas and food.

It's costly as it is in time (4 am-12am., a LONG day) gas (easily US$115r/t) and food (US$15-20 each.) Adding $80 for the day just puts it over the top.

The Dominicans (no charge) will go and the food will get to the kids. Just Alida and I won't go.

It's more than just the $$$, Anas.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004

A few points-

1) Day trippers coming from the DR probably don't do so for one day only. They should be allowed to come and go for one day without hindrance.

The help they can provide is better than someone spending NO days in Haiti.

2) The $80 collected is extortion. They are taking a page out of the DR's book and fleecing people for personal gain. The kids will suffer, as is Haiti's MO, regardless of how much money is collected.

I repeat-not one dollar collected will benefit one child in Haiti, unless it's the child of the thug pocketing the cash.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I agree, day trippers are passing through, those delivering aid must be allowed to do so tax free. People who stay longer and WANT to help will do so with or without this tax, so I doubt anyone inside will suffer much. As for where the money goes, well, obviously you have info I don't.

vida

Mar 18, 2010
I have a friend who is a Dominican citizen. He delivers construction materials to Haiti. He had to buy a Haitian visa for $150 dollars good for six months.