banreservas, bad show!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
So I went to cash a company cheque from october last year. Bank won't cash it as it has changes the date box and when I told them that was bs they told me cheques older than 6 months are invalid. Is this true or did the wench on the counter just not trust me? How can a company cheque run out, the money is held in that bank, very hasslesome and annoying.

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
So I went to cash a company cheque from october last year. Bank won't cash it as it has changes the date box and when I told them that was bs they told me cheques older than 6 months are invalid. Is this true or did the wench on the counter just not trust me? How can a company cheque run out, the money is held in that bank, very hasslesome and annoying.

It is the same in the states.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Format changed in February... this year, 2011 but the company may have had new checks already.
The new format was announced months earlier, but banks refused to honor the old format as of a certain date last February..... I was caught in that.

Stale-dated checks won't clear....... 6 months in the US is stale.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
And I thought the format excuse was her pulling my leg. So my only way around this would be to get new cheques from a company I don't even work for anymore? I can't even deposit these in a popular account can I? Nothing and I mean nothing is ever frinkin simple here, ever!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The new ones have a different coding and some form of script under the account name..

Mine starts...DO57NOSC then a long number - like 20 characters.
Plus a much longeraccount coding along the bottom.

Yes, you will need a replacement if you have the old style check.... the cambios know the difference - they won't take it (or shouldn't).

Don't be too upset.... you should have cashed it earlier.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
It is like this in many other places Anastacio. 6months stale dating is normal. Go back to the company and get another check. IF they do not issue you a new one then you have legal options. good luck

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"CHECKS",Both Personal,and Business,Are Always "Suspect" In The DR!

Check Fraud is a National Pastime!
Most institutions will not accept a check that has not been Certified buy your bank.
Also,checks,leave a "Paper Trail" that many don't want to be available to the government,police,business partners,wives,etc.

"OH!",and count the CASH! ;)

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Check Fraud is a National Pastime!
Most institutions will not accept a check that has not been Certified buy your bank.
Also,checks,leave a "Paper Trail" that many don't want to be available to the government,police,business partners,wives,etc.

"OH!",and count the CASH! ;)

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
VERY true! I am amazed at the scrutiny every check undergoes here at the bank level. While a hassle, it does lend a sense of security.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
And I thought the format excuse was her pulling my leg. So my only way around this would be to get new cheques from a company I don't even work for anymore? I can't even deposit these in a popular account can I? Nothing and I mean nothing is ever frinkin simple here, ever!

Cheques over 6 months old when presented are normally not acceptable in UK banks either so it is not something to blame on the DR on this occasion.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
It's the same in Canada... I keep forgetting to cash my expense cheques and my accounting lady has to remind me about the cheque and re-issue me a new one if it's over 6 months

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have deposited year old cheques into my business account in the uk, certainly on many occasion over 6 months. I'm not blaming DR, I simply feel it is bad service easily checked out with a swift phone call to the company that issued it. Lesson learned!