What do tourist like/dislike the most about the DR?

dbogdan83

Jun 20, 2011
Hello guys,

i am looking to start a business in servicing tourists in the DR so i am just looking to get some ideas.. So any input on what the tourists like/dislike the most about the DR will be highly appreciated. thanks in advance

Feb 7, 2007
So you want to compete with a handful of BIG and uncountable number of mid-size and small DMC companies, and you don't even know what the market is about? You think people will hand you a business plan on a silver platter? You need to live here for many many months I would even say years and spend lots of money here while just observing. Then, maybe, maybe, you can come up with the idea to service a certain niche you may notice is under-served or missing. And so you don't get broke while living here and spending the money, you should have a source of income coming fom abroad lined up that would keep you afloat while you are doing "market research".

Don't take it personally ... but this is not the country where "here I come...where's the money lying around?" style would work. (The money that was somehow left lying around was already picked up). If you want to make a decent living here, you have to sweat your a$$ off ...

Hpluv

Feb 24, 2009
Well said Rubio.
I was saying to myself, if someone offers an idea, who's to say a few thousands would not jump at it too.
There are many niches, but you have to find it and market it yourself.
A good business would be: Picking me up when I arrive and chauffeuring me around for a week or two for free.
I will put a poster on your car, describing the free service you offer.
Of course that is my way of trying to get a freeride around the country.

Blessings!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's a BRILLIANT idea to come to a message board in a foreign country, ask non-locals what a million dollar idea is, and just rush right down with a wheelbarrow of cash and do it.

That's what all the successful expats have done, no experience required, so why not the OP?

Maybe a bar in Sosua or Cabarete or something.

Let's face it: Dominicans aren't very smart or worldly and us gringos can teach them a thing or two.

:smoke:

Feb 7, 2007
The only thing is, Robert, that that "million - dollar - idea" would be already acted upon by the locals who would posses knowledge of such idea.

Many people come to the DR and ask: Give me idea for business in the DR!

Why on Earth would someone living here, who knows how things works and has some good ideas, would give them away, instead of one himself acting upon them and developing them into hopefully viable business ventures.... why do people think that somebody would give THEM ideas on how THEY would/should earn money instead of one doing it himself?

I tell the OP what ... if you used to live in developing country in LatAm similar to the DR, you could maybe EXPORT some ideas from one place to another. In order to be successful coming FROM the developed world, you actually have to settle down, live, observe and brainstorm.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
some people are retired and dont want to run a business...therefore will give knowledge free to up and coming investors

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The only thing is, Robert, that that "million - dollar - idea" would be already acted upon by the locals who would posses knowledge of such idea.
No way.

Everyone knows that the entire population of the DR are just like those smiling, simple resort and resort town workers.

They need to be saved as only a foreigner can do it. They need our wisdom. I mean, business here is just so simple. Heck, take any idea, go tell 2-3 people and within a month you'll be rich.

Happened to everyone I know. In fact, one of the quickest ways to get rich is an advisory service to help other dream...err...I mean, future expats, to get rich.

What ever happened to colored fonts on DR1. I need "sarcasm blue" but no color is to be seen...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It is difficult to hire decent sized motobikes here, also there are no curry houses on the island, that would be a goldmine in the right place.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It is difficult to hire decent sized motobikes here,
That's because they are expensive and there is no insurance for them that includes theft and collision damage. I tell people I'll rent my V-Stroms, but they have to leave me a US$12,500 cash deposit.

Takers, there have been few...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
That's because they are expensive and there is no insurance for them that includes theft and collision damage. I tell people I'll rent my V-Stroms, but they have to leave me a US$12,500 cash deposit. Takers, there have been few...
Well that is something, find insurance that will cover (if possible) or a way of insuring them alternatively (not sure exactly what I mean by that) and you've got something. Although many will have ventured there before.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
You guys need to stop being selfish.

That's because they are expensive and there is no insurance for them that includes theft and collision damage. I tell people I'll rent my V-Stroms, but they have to leave me a US$12,500 cash deposit.

Takers, there have been few...

There you have it, "full coverage motorcycle rental insurance" this would be a big business opportunity for the original poster.
You guys need to stop being selfish. The OP asked a simply asked what are the things that tourist like and dislike so that he can look into staring a business that could also in the process help some of your dislikes by doing something about it even if it takes starting a business as an alternative or improve certain dislikes.

I for example dislike the fact that DR's government agencies employees have no customers service skills, and when you get them on the phones it looks like they are more concern to rush and get off the phone than helping, they usually hang up living you with all the questions and words in your mouth.

Someone needs to teach these jokers the first rule of customers service which is "the customers hang up first, not them, and always ask the customer if all the questions were answered and if there is anything else they can help with.

So, a good customer service training agency I think would be a big hit in the DR.

You guys need to stop being selfish by hoarding good business ideas that you may not want to materialize yourself, instead of giving it up to someone more determined. Ustedes ni hacen ni dejan hacer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well that is something, find insurance that will cover (if possible) or a way of insuring them alternatively (not sure exactly what I mean by that) and you've got something. Although many will have ventured there before.

Can you say that in English ?/ Or Spanish.... any other language than the one you used ?

Yo no entiendo !! No Comprendo!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Polite Uselessness

Someone needs to teach these jokers the first rule of customers service which is (...) if there is anything else they can help with.

Already done.
At least the Codetel/Claro staff were obviously trained to ask this.
However, they do so in total disregard of your first question.... :alien: :laugh:

donP

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
So, a good customer service training agency I think would be a big hit in the DR.
One already exists, INFOTEP.

By law businesses and employers pay into it once a year and then anyone can take their various courses.

Just keep in mind the definition of "customer service" may vary vis-a-vis First World standards, just like the definition of "loud music" varies.

Edit: DonP beat me to it...

May 29, 2006
Nice way to jump down some newbie's throat folks...

To the OP. You have to come to the DR and find out yourself. There have been some great original ideas (Like Safari Bus Tours) that have worked but it can take a very long time and the stats for new ventures is pretty grim.

One idea that I think might work is being an agent for dental holidays. Dental work in the DR is very cheap and the standards are very good in some clinics. But finding a dentist who speaks English, finding the clinic in some city 50 miles away, or arranging a translator is not so easy for tourists. A week long trip to the DR can easily pay for itself in savings and dental holidays are a growing market. Check the other posts here by using the search function and "dentist".

In my experience, dental work in the DR is typically 25% of the cost of the US mainland and often less for more expensive procedures.

Here is a thread about one clinic. I'm going to check it on my next trip:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/114769-my-teeth-my-dental-journey-photos-video.html

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I've posted this before and will say it again, opening a business here is not EASY. It is very hard. Do you speak Spanish? Do you run a business now? Or have you ever run a business? How much money do you have to invest? Do you even know anything about living here? Do you know and understand the culture?

Running a business is not easy anywhere, it is especially difficult here if you do not know the culture, do not speak the language and do not know the subject matter.

Tourism here is very difficult, full of regulations, full of STRONG competition. Don't think for one second you will be welcome with open arms. tourism companies and individuals are competing for dwindling dollars. You will be just another newcomer.

So move down here, learn the culture and the language while you work for someone else. Keep your eyes open and your ears OPEN all the time. Watch and learn. Then look for opportunities. Once you have an "idea" float it by a few trusted people. Do not broadcast it for all to see. Some have deeper pockets then you and if it is truly a good idea they will jump on it.

I for one do not give my ideas away! I do give feedback on ideas for free..... LOL

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I've posted this before and will say it again, opening a business here is not EASY. It is very hard. Do you speak Spanish? Do you run a business now? Or have you ever run a business? How much money do you have to invest? Do you even know anything about living here? Do you know and understand the culture?

Running a business is not easy anywhere, it is especially difficult here if you do not know the culture, do not speak the language and do not know the subject matter.

Tourism here is very difficult, full of regulations, full of STRONG competition. Don't think for one second you will be welcome with open arms. tourism companies and individuals are competing for dwindling dollars. You will be just another newcomer.

So move down here, learn the culture and the language while you work for someone else. Keep your eyes open and your ears OPEN all the time. Watch and learn. Then look for opportunities. Once you have an "idea" float it by a few trusted people. Do not broadcast it for all to see. Some have deeper pockets then you and if it is truly a good idea they will jump on it.

I for one do not give my ideas away! I do give feedback on ideas for free..... LOL
I would have "liked" this post 3 or 4 times if I could because you are correct.

Business in the DR is MUCH harder than the states (my paradigm.) It's even harder if you try competing with Dominicans in a business that depends on revenue from WITHIN the DR.

If you can structure a business where 1) you don't compete head-to-head with Dominican-owned bussinesses, 2) where you can "import" your revenues, 3) have experience in and MOST importantly 4) have a passion for...then you've just stacked the odds in your favor.

If you start a business to make money you most likely fail. If you start a business because of a passion and a fully germinated idea built on that passion, THEN you have a higher probability to succeed. But that is a truism everywhere...

Packman

Jan 16, 2006
Business ideas

I spent a couple of months in Cabarete and did make some observations. I saw a lot of bootleg products. As a tourist it would sure be nice to get the real deal. A small niche shop that hangs it out there and states non bootleg products in its window may have a chance. I'd start funneling a little money towards the local policia
as well as some free food before I started up because the locals are not going to like it. The biggest offender was suntan lotion, way over priced and no where near what the OEM product is. I could go on with the so called made in USA products unloaded out of a container from China.

Sewage treatment and the lack of. If you can get some civil engineering ideas to float by the local government for a plan of proper treatment it would be doing everybody in the tourism industry a favor. Is this what happened to Puerta Plata?, that quaint little beach town that saw massive building in the area only have people say I don't know about this ocean water any more. Why travel all the way to the Carribbean to have to swim in that bacteria infested water. When you see that white foam on the surface it doesn't remind you of those beautiful gin clear waters you have seen before on various islands.

The people who have been successful in operating a business abroad usually have an already successful business where they live, preferably in the same field.

What I like? That field already has a ton of competition.