Electronics

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
Anything TV 32" and under bring in in a suitcase, anything over have it shipped in from the states. If you have the TV delivered directly to the shipper you will not have to pay sales tax in the US. When you see the prices and the quality available in the DR you'll know what I'm talking about.

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
Not to hijack the thread. However is it true you can bring a up to 32" size TV without the aduana (customs) without duty?

I'm asking because my cousin did the same thing put a 32" size lcd in a suitcase and customs saw it when the opened the suitcase and told him there is no need to hide/put it into a suitcase, and that lcd's up to 32" size are allowed. I've also seen people when going to sdq check in lcd's in the box (not hiding it) however do know the outcome.

I would like to bring one however dont want to risk a 32" lcd breaking due to its size and how airlines handle bags.

Thanks.

Jan 17, 2009
Back of the customs declaration form says that if you are a resident you can bring gifts for up to $500 (excluding your personal items, i.e., used laptop, camera, etc.) every three months.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Back of the customs declaration form says that if you are a resident you can bring gifts for up to $500 (excluding your personal items, i.e., used laptop, camera, etc.) every three months.

**What if your not a resident??? There are alot of us that do not have residency status....I guess we pay...Ka Ching???:disappoin

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
I recently traveled thru PUJ and brought several items (about 150lbs) of small items for an apartment that I recently purchased. Customs ended up pulling a lot of items out, but I really think they were just screening for drugs due to the 3 large bags I had checked. I talked with the guy and answered a few questions. It seemed they did not focus on used items as much as the newer ones. I don't think there is an issue if you explain it is for your place and you are not carrying 3 or 4 of the same type item. He let me pass after about 5 minutes.

However, I think it still can be hit or miss on whether you get dinged for customs charges. That's the way it is in a lot of countries in the world. Been there. I figure it is worth a try. A new 32" TV runs less than $300 USD. I was told a 42" was about $1050 in that new store in the San Juan shopping center. Did not verify the price at the San Juan shop

Don

djuno718

Dec 1, 2007
Well last year i brought a 32' panasonic Lcd I n from NY through SDQ and they descovered it. i pointed out that anything under 32' and under us$500 was supposedly allowed! she told me NOOO Everything pays! wether its 15' 23' or 32' Everything pays! and she was gonna let it pass because she saw i was a serious guy with a serious Face! Now i see that anything 32' and under gets through without a problem! i will be bringin in another one Though STI! i will share the experience and let u know!