Sad Dog Story

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am finally able to write this..... hopefully a bit of a catharsis for me.

We have had a difficult time over the past 3-4 months with our dogs.

Some may recall that I posted about a very nice litter of German/Belgian Shepherd crosses in Sosua last Jan/Feb..... we bought a brother and sister at 3 1/2 months old..... really nice dogs.

Nacho y Salsa male and female
The male was outstanding in looks and temperment.

We had our "frequent flier" pet on the property..... BoBo the Boxer... who travels to RD from NoAmerica regularly. A pet and a good guard dog... but the best companion a person or dog could have.

All 3 got along well and the plan was for the 2 Shepherds to "run the place".... even as puppies, they stood side by side when anything came near .... they stood their ground together.
They were too young to go forward and be aggressive... but they would not back up.

That's where BoBo jumped into action.
When he heard them barking, he came busting out of the bushes to be "the big boy" and finish whatever business was at hand....
The littles ones fawned over him after these acts of bravery and learned from him.

At 6 months, we decided to neuter the puppies. The local dog group had a team of vets coming in for a neutering clinic.
I picked people up at the airport.... we contributed.

The male died in the process.... the preshot to prepare for surgery killed him.
Nobody's fault..... just bad luck..... the only dog of over 400 to die that week.
In my opinion, the best dog of the week.

We buried him on the property near the gate so he could continue to do his job and keep watch .

Life goes on...... BoBo and Salsa get over it faster than we do.:squareeye
They play all day together..... mock fights, hide and seek, road races... I wish I was a dog !!!

We make a decision to leave BoBo with Salsa for the summer (as opposed to bringing him back with us) both for company to Salsa and to keep the training going.

One morning they were doing their normal play routine.... mock fights.... they took turns being the victim and being the winner.

Salsa got her tooth caught in BoBo's collar.......

How two strong dogs- 65-70lbs each- couldn't extricate themselves from that mess befuddles me.
But they couldn't...

BoBo strangled to death.

The jardinero was afraid to step in.... understandably... it must have been quite a scene.

Even after death, Salsa was stuck in the collar until the vet came and released her.

She is alone now.

BoBo is buried beside Nacho watching our gate for us.

Two freak accidents..... life stinks...:(

Lizzard

Sep 11, 2006
So sorry for your losses of your loved pets. But on a good note they are your gate guard dogs forever! :)

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
So very sorry to hear of your losses!! :( We have had some very sad animal luck within the past month here in Cabrera as well. Totally unrelated to each other, we lost our male donkey to tetanus 4 weeks ago, then our one month old baby donkey to what the vet says was a genetic defect 2 week after the male. We have lived here for 3 years, have had 11 pets and lost 6 of them, all to different things, never anyone's fault.

Again, so sorry for your losses :(

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
So very sorry to hear of your losses!! :( We have had some very sad animal luck within the past month here in Cabrera as well. Totally unrelated to each other, we lost our male donkey to tetanus 4 weeks ago, then our one month old baby donkey to what the vet says was a genetic defect 2 week after the male. We have lived here for 3 years, have had 11 pets and lost 6 of them, all to different things, never anyone's fault.

Again, so sorry for your losses :(

Its awful, Huh?
I am in Cabrera - el Breton, actually.
Animals just seem to go bad sometimes.

we had a donkey stray onto the property one day... gate was open for our guests to arrive for a lunch.

Donkey walked right up to the pool... dogs were asleep... I kicked them into action

Donkeys won't run away... it just walked to and out of the gate... w/ BoBo and puppies yipping at its heels while it bucked and kicked its way home.

Life in the campo.... I guess

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Rainbow Bridge

This is my favorite poem...

There is a bridge connecting heaven and earth
It is called Rainbow Bridge because of its many colours

Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows,
hills, valleys with lush green grass

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this special place
There is always food and water and warm spring weather

The old and frail are young again
Those who are maimed are made whole again

They play all day with each other
There is only one thing missing

They are not with their special person who loved them on Earth
So each day they run and play until the day comes
when one suddenly stops playing and looks up !

The nose twitches !
The ears are up !
The eyes are staring !
And this one suddenly runs from the group !

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet,
you take him or her into your arms and embrace
your face is kissed again and again,
and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated

Sorry for your loss WW.

Acira

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That makes me cry...... but a good cry.

Thanks

You know, even the Dominicans on the property got it... the problem, death and all.
They usually aren't too dog/animal emotional, IMO

But burying Nacho,, they were great.
I wasn;t there for BoBo.... but I know they were upsset.

We'll arrive in 2 weeks... and their last instructions were to watch for BoBo....
Por que BoBo es especial .... favorito de la senora.....

They will be sorry.... not their fault...... but sorry nonetheless

I get angry..... for no reason,,,, just angry... and sad.

Just because its an accident (x2) doesn't mean you can't get upset/angry/frustrated.... call it what you will.

Yuk......

Thanks again Acira

May 5, 2007
I am finally able to write this..... hopefully a bit of a catharsis for me.

We have had a difficult time over the past 3-4 months with our dogs.

Some may recall that I posted about a very nice litter of German/Belgian Shepherd crosses in Sosua last Jan/Feb..... we bought a brother and sister at 3 1/2 months old..... really nice dogs.

Nacho y Salsa male and female
The male was outstanding in looks and temperment.

We had our "frequent flier" pet on the property..... BoBo the Boxer... who travels to RD from NoAmerica regularly. A pet and a good guard dog... but the best companion a person or dog could have.

All 3 got along well and the plan was for the 2 Shepherds to "run the place".... even as puppies, they stood side by side when anything came near .... they stood their ground together.
They were too young to go forward and be aggressive... but they would not back up.

That's where BoBo jumped into action.
When he heard them barking, he came busting out of the bushes to be "the big boy" and finish whatever business was at hand....
The littles ones fawned over him after these acts of bravery and learned from him.

At 6 months, we decided to neuter the puppies. The local dog group had a team of vets coming in for a neutering clinic.
I picked people up at the airport.... we contributed.

The male died in the process.... the preshot to prepare for surgery killed him.
Nobody's fault..... just bad luck..... the only dog of over 400 to die that week.
In my opinion, the best dog of the week.

We buried him on the property near the gate so he could continue to do his job and keep watch .

Life goes on...... BoBo and Salsa get over it faster than we do.:squareeye
They play all day together..... mock fights, hide and seek, road races... I wish I was a dog !!!

We make a decision to leave BoBo with Salsa for the summer (as opposed to bringing him back with us) both for company to Salsa and to keep the training going.

One morning they were doing their normal play routine.... mock fights.... they took turns being the victim and being the winner.

Salsa got her tooth caught in BoBo's collar.......

How two strong dogs- 65-70lbs each- couldn't extricate themselves from that mess befuddles me.
But they couldn't...

BoBo strangled to death.

The jardinero was afraid to step in.... understandably... it must have been quite a scene.

Even after death, Salsa was stuck in the collar until the vet came and released her.

She is alone now.

BoBo is buried beside Nacho watching our gate for us.

Two freak accidents..... life stinks...:(

That really rots, sorry to read that

My sister has two Boxers, definitely the "Goobers" of the dog world, forever teenager

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ya know..... the well bred Boxers don't goober that much.... like not at all.

They are great dogs...... BoBo was an expensive dog..... $$$$... that many figures

Boxers have real personality.... they communicate with you.... all dogs do...

Shucks.......... ever meet a puppy you didn't like ??

Happiness is just around the corner..... I'm looking... "Over the Rainbow Bridge"

WW

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
This is my favorite poem...

There is a bridge connecting heaven and earth
It is called Rainbow Bridge because of its many colours

Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of meadows,
hills, valleys with lush green grass

When a beloved pet dies, the pet goes to this special place
There is always food and water and warm spring weather

The old and frail are young again
Those who are maimed are made whole again

They play all day with each other
There is only one thing missing

They are not with their special person who loved them on Earth
So each day they run and play until the day comes
when one suddenly stops playing and looks up !

The nose twitches !
The ears are up !
The eyes are staring !
And this one suddenly runs from the group !

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet,
you take him or her into your arms and embrace
your face is kissed again and again,
and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting pet

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together, never again to be separated

Sorry for your loss WW.

Acira

About 5 years ago I lost my all time favorite dog. Dempsy, an Australian Shepherd of 2 years old, and my all time companion (she accompanied me every day when I was visiting customers, patiently waiting in the car), found a hole in the fence of our newly acquired house, and after a while crossed a busy highway, got hit and was killed instantly...

The breeder of her sent me this poem, and it was a comfort.

William, I am so sorry for your losses... I know how you feel.

BelgianK

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
About 5 years ago I lost my all time favorite dog. Dempsy, an Australian Shepherd of 2 years old, and my all time companion (she accompanied me every day when I was visiting customers, patiently waiting in the car), found a hole in the fence of our newly acquired house, and after a while crossed a busy highway, got hit and was killed instantly...

The breeder of her sent me this poem, and it was a comfort.

William, I am so sorry for your losses... I know how you feel.

BelgianK

Thanks Peter.............. BoBo was 3 1/2 years old..... truly one of the best dogs.

We all have favorites...... I can go back over my life and name them.... all good, good dogs

This situation of rapid deaths just knocks the wind out of me.....
Sorry, if my language is difficult for you to translate......

I appreciate your kindness..

Bill

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
So sorry to hear of your devastating losses, Bill.

Gone when young and vibrant hurts deeply. The Rainbow Bridge poem is lovely and was sent to us when we lost Maggie at the age of just 3 last year.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Very sad to hear of your dogs fate. Was Bobo's collar one of those choke chain types? Just wondering as I have heard they can be dangerous if left on unsupervised. I am a big time dog lover and losing one for any reason is a heartbreaker. Even passing on from old age is very very hard on the owners. You have my sincere sympathies. For me the cure to the heartbreak has always been a new puppy.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Very sad to hear of your dogs fate. Was Bobo's collar one of those choke chain types? Just wondering as I have heard they can be dangerous if left on unsupervised. I am a big time dog lover and losing one for any reason is a heartbreaker. Even passing on from old age is very very hard on the owners. You have my sincere sympathies. For me the cure to the heartbreak has always been a new puppy.

In no way blaming William, a collar on a dog, when at the property and doing its job, or just even playing around is a big no for us. Our dogs roam the property without collar, and only get them on when they are going somewhere.

There are several reasons for this. Just like cats, dogs can get themselves entangled with their collars in branches, fences, etc... and choke themselves. Secondly, a guarddog, not accompanied, with a collar, makes no sense at all... you are just giving a possible intruder a real possibility of controlling the dog...

This has nothing to do with chain collars or nylon/leather collars. Both are, differently, very dangerous.

The chances of what happened to WW's dog repeating itself, is much smaller than any of us here winning the lottery, so WW should not feel guilty at all. It is one of those misfortunes happening. Nevertheless, all of u guys who have collars on a dog on a secured property... pls take them off...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In no way blaming William, a collar on a dog, when at the property and doing its job, or just even playing around is a big no for us. Our dogs roam the property without collar, and only get them on when they are going somewhere.

There are several reasons for this. Just like cats, dogs can get themselves entangled with their collars in branches, fences, etc... and choke themselves. Secondly, a guarddog, not accompanied, with a collar, makes no sense at all... you are just giving a possible intruder a real possibility of controlling the dog...

This has nothing to do with chain collars or nylon/leather collars. Both are, differently, very dangerous.

The chances of what happened to WW's dog repeating itself, is much smaller than any of us here winning the lottery, so WW should not feel guilty at all. It is one of those misfortunes happening. Nevertheless, all of u guys who have collars on a dog on a secured property... pls take them off...

Peter.... I ask myself that question all the time.... I HATE