Driver's license

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Sos?a-News

Interesting article. Can a tourist obtain a DR driver license with just a good conduct letter and paying whatever fee in Ban Reservas?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmm... puerto plata has one office where you can get license or renew it. you pay the taxes and then go to the oficina de obras publicas to get your tarjeta. my guess is that folks from sosua or, in fact, from majority of puerto plata province had to go there and only there in order to sort out the license. and that said oficina in sosua was a mobile office where you could do the same without having to go to POP.

May 20, 2012
Anybody have a current contact on the North Coast to help get someone with a cedula a DR driver's license with the least amount of hassle? Had a referral to a POP attorney for this, but attorney has no friend in the office anymore I guess.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have not been around there for a few years, but by the baseball stadium before you hit PP is a driving school named Jose.

Miri owned it when I was there and I got several people licenses with no hassle. Knowing how to drive was optional.

Go there and ask for her, if she is not there someone else can do it for sure.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My man may be gone, or changed numbers, etc but I PM'd you my last info.

As SKY says, any reputable driving school can do this (oxymoron??)
Just ask for the VIP... they answer the questions for you.

They even throw in a few wrong answers to make things legit -- truly Dominican

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Doubt anyone here has dealt with this, but you never know.....

My husband has had a US driver's license since 1976. His Dominican license expired in late 70s, but he still has it. Photo is a bit outdated, haha.

Will he have to go through a lot of rigamarole to renew it, or just pay for a new license? Have to go through road and/or written test, etc???

Should he even bother? He's dual Dominican/US citizen, so would never be considered 'illegal' in case of an accident, but we wondered if it was better to actually have a Dominican driver's license......

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Doubt anyone here has dealt with this, but you never know.....

My husband has had a US driver's license since 1976. His Dominican license expired in late 70s, but he still has it. Photo is a bit outdated, haha.

Will he have to go through a lot of rigamarole to renew it, or just pay for a new license? Have to go through road and/or written test, etc???

Should he even bother? He's dual Dominican/US citizen, so would never be considered 'illegal' in case of an accident, but we wondered if it was better to actually have a Dominican driver's license......

My bet is that if he walks in, tells them he wants to renew, they'll do it.

Pay the fee and walk away.

As to if he should -- why not?? Better to have both.
That way in NJ, he can hand over the RD license to the state patrol.

I've been wanting to do that - just ahven't done it yet !!

The US and Canada make you forfeit the old license -- no such problem in RD

May 20, 2012
Will he have to go through a lot of rigamarole to renew it, or just pay for a new license? Have to go through road and/or written test, etc???...
So I have to do written test, road test? Yikes.
I guess I wanted the super VIP that the attorney used to offer; he just handed me a license after I handed him pesos.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My man may be gone, or changed numbers, etc but I PM'd you my last info.

As SKY says, any reputable driving school can do this (oxymoron??)
Just ask for the VIP... they answer the questions for you.

They even throw in a few wrong answers to make things legit -- truly Dominican

Understand this -- no written test (they do it for you) and no road test

All of the headaches disappear w/ an RD permit.

Karl Malden - "Don't Leave home without it !!! "

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My bet is that if he walks in, tells them he wants to renew, they'll do it.

Pay the fee and walk away.

As to if he should -- why not?? Better to have both.
That way in NJ, he can hand over the RD license to the state patrol.

I've been wanting to do that - just ahven't done it yet !!

The US and Canada make you forfeit the old license -- no such problem in RD

He says they MIGHT just renew it, after they all fall off their chairs laughing at the antique license...!!!!

Will let you know what happens when he tries on next trip....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I bet the bundle -- he'll breeze through

RD is all about the fees - maybe a late fee for expiring licenses - that would be a good one

May 20, 2012
WHAT! No photo ???
Dunno. Maybe they used the one on the cedula.

It also may have just been an attorney bragging and trying to impress me who had to beg off when I tried to take him up on his offer of the "best services" in POP! Was talking to this lawyer about other matters at the time.

If someone could actually deliver such a service they could charge a lot and get it.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Any license issued without a "Cedula" present and legit, will be as good as a black market piece of plastic when you get into an accident and/or major vehicular problem in the DR. In fact, that's the very first criminal charge you'll face after losing any insurance coverage as after effect, etc...

Yes, you can pretty much get a fighter jet pilot license or anything under the table in the DR, just as much as you can find them back home from all sort of sources.

A lot of people have found that going under the table to get important legal documents in the DR, creates more problems than what they solved as they got them.

Getting a Cedula based on a temporary residency permit is not out of this world in the DR, compared to getting an anything residency in more than half the world today.

The list doesn't end here of people that "know" or where "issued" permits, etc, that they claim are as good as the real deal, until they hit the wall of reality when things go wrong.

Not worth the trouble you'll surely find yourself into later on as things go the other way for you...

May 20, 2012
Any license issued without a "Cedula" present and legit, will be as good as a black market piece of plastic when you get into an accident and/or major vehicular problem in the DR. In fact, that's the very first criminal charge you'll face after losing any insurance coverage as after effect, etc...

Yes, you can pretty much get a fighter jet pilot license or anything under the table in the DR, just as much as you can find them back home from all sort of sources.

A lot of people have found that going under the table to get important legal documents in the DR, creates more problems than what they solved as they got them.

Getting a Cedula based on a temporary residency permit is not out of this world in the DR, compared to getting an anything residency in more than half the world today.

The list doesn't end here of people that "know" or where "issued" permits, etc, that they claim are as good as the real deal, until they hit the wall of reality when things go wrong.

Not worth the trouble you'll surely find yourself into later on as things go the other way for you...
Oh I have a legit cedula. But your point is well taken as far as drivers license goes. Just want it to be as hassle free as possible. I can and do drive soooooo much better than any Dominican I have seen on the road yet. Probably most gringos do.. I wonder how many drivers have no license at all..

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
There are ways to get a real Dominican drivers license without going through all the "work" but there are certain basic requirements as being a legal resident, cedula etc. Once you comply with the "basics" it's up to you how much more work/ less money or less work/ more money you want to put up, that simple!