Camping in the East Coast

Filomena

Jun 25, 2011
Hello everybody!
I'm traveling to DR in mid July. I though about camping close the beach and away of the big resorts / touristic areas. I'll start my trip in the East coast and then move around the country. I thought about going along the beach towards Miches, and those lagunas. Then, I was thinking to take a guagua and get to Sabana de la Mar, and after the ferry to Saman?. I read in the news that the road from Las Lisas to Sabana de la mar is very bad and there has been some incidents over the road (some criminals). After that, I'm kind of changing my plan. But anyway, to the question again. Is it safe to camp wherever? close the beach... should I stay in guesthouses? Is it safe at all for a woman to be traveling (backpacker) I'm also looking for accommodation in Punta Cana for a couple of days but everything is over priced (about 100 USD PN).
Any tips will be appreciated! I'm planning to travel for a month :)
Thanks!

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
camping

I was tenting the first time I came to Samana. It was an awesome experience. Hardest part for me was finding suitable washrooms. I see a new campground opened up in Las Terrenas close and just before the yacht club. If you want cheap hostel accommodation let me know as there is a new one just opening in Las Terrenas. There is often a lot of rain and humidity as this area is not that far from a rainforest. Could be hard to keep dry.

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
Agree with a previous post. Backpacking is probably o.k. most places you go since the is generally a safe area. However, I would not camp overnight if you are a female and traveling alone. That would be my advice for just about anywhere in the world, and I am fairly well-traveled.

It will be difficult to find places here to camp out which are close by the beach due to the AIs which run up and down the coast line. Property lines are from the road to the beach and cover just about all land area between the road and water. There are a few public access points, but I do not think the private security guards and/or local police with let you pitch a tent on the beach.

The area here is great and definitely worth the visit. Just be safe and use common sense. You'll have a great time. Don

Filomena

Jun 25, 2011
Yes! I read the info. I also wrote a couple of email asking for prices and every time they reply I get a different price :(

Filomena

Jun 25, 2011
Minerva, what do you mean by couch surfing over camping? I know about couch surfing but I'm not sure how the people are. I have a bad feeling. I would rather stay alone. Actually, I'm traveling with a friend and I would be alone a couple of nights. He will join me and then we wanted to camp along the beach. But I'm not meaning of putting the tent just by a resort. I was checking google maps and I see there that there is pretty much of space. For example, after Macao, Uvaro Alto... there isn't anything over there. Are there many locals walking by the beach? I would put the tent by the palm trees ... a bit hidden, not in the middle of the beach :)

Filomena

Jun 25, 2011
Gordon! yes! I'm interested in the campground that is in Las Terrenas and also in the cheap accommodation. Tell me ... where did you go camping?

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I can drive by the campground again and see if I can get you some contact information. I just saw a sign and a few tents by the beach in passing and it looked like a fenced in area. It is the only campground I have ever noticed in the DR. I saw an RV for sale parked in an garage once and it looked out of place. Like the others I do not recommend camping as being safe in general here. I was glad I did but at the time was with friends that were familiar with local customs and we might have been daring. Not a repeat thing for me now. I would like to send you the hostel info but I am directly involved and got a slap from some robert awhile back for only supplying an email address. I asked him to show where the board rules are and he never bothered to respond. I still do not know what is and what is not acceptable for this forum in providing specific information.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Minerva, what do you mean by couch surfing over camping? I know about couch surfing but I'm not sure how the people are. I have a bad feeling. I would rather stay alone.

Most people who are on couchsurfing in the DR seem fine to me and are there because they want to meet new people and share part of their life and culture with others. You can look at their profiles and stay with someone who has been vouched for by a lot of other people or stay with a female if that makes you feel more comfortable.

I would also agree that sleeping in a tent, considering the circumstances, would be dangerous. Even the weirdest, Charles Manson-esque couchsurfing Dominican hippie has to be safer than pitching a tent in a vacant lot near some AI and sleeping alone. Trust me, more than a few people will know you are there, hopefully not the wrong people, but not worth the chance.

Yes, I have slept in tents in the DR...

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Use the private message feature.

I can drive by the campground again and see if I can get you some contact information. I just saw a sign and a few tents by the beach in passing and it looked like a fenced in area. It is the only campground I have ever noticed in the DR. I saw an RV for sale parked in an garage once and it looked out of place. Like the others I do not recommend camping as being safe in general here. I was glad I did but at the time was with friends that were familiar with local customs and we might have been daring. Not a repeat thing for me now. I would like to send you the hostel info but I am directly involved and got a slap from some robert awhile back for only supplying an email address. I asked him to show where the board rules are and he never bothered to respond. I still do not know what is and what is not acceptable for this forum in providing specific information.

Filomena

Jun 25, 2011
Hello Everybody!
I would like to thank you all for your advices. Definitely, I will not camp. I have found useful information and I think I will do some volunteer work and also stay in one of those camps where there are rooms for rent.
I will feel more secure and also it will be a very nice experience. But of course, I will not be able to stay the whole month in the same volunteer camp. I will move around and travel a bit. But so far, this is the first idea that came to my mind and I think it will be a very nice way of seeing the country. But of course, if you know about any volunteer camp or have any suggestions, I'm more than glad to hear them :)

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I've sent you (another) pm with a volunteer suggestion.

Glad to see you've taken the suggestions of the veterans seriously in the spirit of which they were given.
Hope you have a rewarding, fun trip.