Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping in the East Coast

Post Thanks / Like

Default Camping in the East Coast

Hello everybody!
    I'm traveling to DR in mid July. I though about camping close the beach and away of the big resorts / touristic areas. I'll start my trip in the East coast and then move around the country. I thought about going along the beach towards Miches, and those lagunas. Then, I was thinking to take a guagua and get to Sabana de la Mar, and after the ferry to Samaná. I read in the news that the road from Las Lisas to Sabana de la mar is very bad and there has been some incidents over the road (some criminals). After that, I'm kind of changing my plan. But anyway, to the question again. Is it safe to camp wherever? close the beach... should I stay in guesthouses? Is it safe at all for a woman to be traveling (backpacker) I'm also looking for accommodation in Punta Cana for a couple of days but everything is over priced (about 100 USD PN).
    Any tips will be appreciated! I'm planning to travel for a month
    Thanks!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots of info on Punta Cana cheap places to stay here http://www.dr1.com/forums/east-coast...formation.html
    Backpacking around shouldn't be a problem for a lone female but I would think twice about camping on my own.

3. Likes Filomena liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend couch surfing over camping alone, if you can find any hosts near the places you want to go. Much safer and a great way to meet people. I started a thread about it a while back:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-que...urfing-dr.html

5. Likes Filomena liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default camping

I was tenting the first time I came to Samana. It was an awesome experience. Hardest part for me was finding suitable washrooms. I see a new campground opened up in Las Terrenas close and just before the yacht club. If you want cheap hostel accommodation let me know as there is a new one just opening in Las Terrenas. There is often a lot of rain and humidity as this area is not that far from a rainforest. Could be hard to keep dry.

7. Likes Filomena liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with a previous post. Backpacking is probably o.k. most places you go since the is generally a safe area. However, I would not camp overnight if you are a female and traveling alone. That would be my advice for just about anywhere in the world, and I am fairly well-traveled.

It will be difficult to find places here to camp out which are close by the beach due to the AIs which run up and down the coast line. Property lines are from the road to the beach and cover just about all land area between the road and water. There are a few public access points, but I do not think the private security guards and/or local police with let you pitch a tent on the beach.

The area here is great and definitely worth the visit. Just be safe and use common sense. You'll have a great time. Don

9. Likes Filomena liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes! I read the info. I also wrote a couple of email asking for prices and every time they reply I get a different price

Post Thanks / Like

Minerva, what do you mean by couch surfing over camping? I know about couch surfing but I'm not sure how the people are. I have a bad feeling. I would rather stay alone. Actually, I'm traveling with a friend and I would be alone a couple of nights. He will join me and then we wanted to camp along the beach. But I'm not meaning of putting the tent just by a resort. I was checking google maps and I see there that there is pretty much of space. For example, after Macao, Uvaro Alto... there isn't anything over there. Are there many locals walking by the beach? I would put the tent by the palm trees ... a bit hidden, not in the middle of the beach

Post Thanks / Like

Gordon! yes! I'm interested in the campground that is in Las Terrenas and also in the cheap accommodation. Tell me ... where did you go camping?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

To sleep in a tent in Dominican Republic is very dangerous.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I've sent you a pm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast