English Cider

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Does anybody know if there is anywhere that sells English Cider here on the island? I would be interested to know if anybody else really misses a nice ice cold cider???

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Cider-type drinks like Benedicta and Blue are widely available. I know they are not quite the same as English cider, but just as nice in their own way and are sold at a third of the price that English cider would cost. Doesn't leave much of a gap in the market, if you were thinking of importing from the UK.

And if you are going to serve it ice-cold, there wouldn't be much of a difference in the taste anyway. English cider is not designed to be drunk ice-cold anymore than is English beer.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
London...thanks for your reply
Coming from Somerset in the South West of England, the heart of cider country and being raised on it I do know a thing or two about cider. You are right, Benedicta is available but having tried that I would rather wait. A traditional commercial cider, such as Strongbow, the normal serving temperature is around 3-4 degrees centigrade. A farmhouse cider, such as Thatchers, are the best types of cider and is generally served between 4-6 degrees and can even be served up to 14 degrees but the shelf life once opened is very short, (never a problem there!). Then there is Scrumpy....the rawest form of cider that as a lad growing up in Cheddar, one of Somerset's biggest tourist attractions, we used to drink the 'Northerners' under the table. Scrumpy is lethal especially at warmer temperatures and is generally served at around 16 degrees. Finally there is ice cider, such as Magners (Irish) or Bulmer's Ice. Although these are commercial they are excellent and brought the popularity of cider to a level that it rightfully deserves. Ice cider is served around 0-2 degrees and became one of my favorite commercial ciders.
And beleive me, if I had cider over here it would be served ice cold! Cheers!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't think i ever saw brits writing how they miss cider. marmite would be a better choice :)
and frankly, when i lived in london i saw that cider was used mainly to get sloshed with it and they let it all out again :)